6.6 gas

20 hours ago, magnum74 said:

The 6.0 was almost 2 minutes quicker than Ram 6.4. They run them with no driver input to keep the test as consistent as possible but the reality is anybody doing that will shift to the gear that makes sense and hold it a reasonable RPM. 

I agree that downshifting is the right choice but two things about that bother me:

- Tow/Haul mode should be programmed to compensate for this already. It's kind of the point of having the mode available, right? If someone else was driving and I was asleep, they might not think about downshifting when losing speed while towing a heavy load and start to panic.

- If GM plans on people downshifting, can we get something better than some buttons on a column? How about paddle shifters or putting the gear shift in the center console with a slide over feature to up and downshift. Like in a car where you push the shift handle over from D and you can now move it up and down to up and downshift.

Edited by ApertureX
  • Sad 1

There's only so much you can do with gears until you go with CVT. I also don't think it's complicated to push the up and down buttons on the colum shifter but you feel sliding a switch on the column shifter would make it less complex? I guess to each their own but I find my current truck simple to use. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, magnum74 said:

There's only so much you can do with gears until you go with CVT. I also don't think it's complicated to push the up and down buttons on the colum shifter but you feel sliding a switch on the column shifter would make it less complex? I guess to each their own but I find my current truck simple to use. 

I meant in the center console, not on the column. (original post updated to reflect this) I do understand that this is a preference, but I feel like it would be easier.

Shifter.jpg

And there we go, thank you ApertureX.

They are now saying 401 hp, 460 for torque, not the earlier higher numbers. Cast iron block, aluminum heads, 10.8 comparison ratio. Still a 6 speed transmission, not the Allison for the gasser. Is this an all new block, or an existing block retooled for this production run?

I must say I'm looking right past the new 6.6 gas towards the 7.3 Ford gasser, and I don't like Ford.

3 hours ago, magnum74 said:

You should edit this again lol 

The 6.0 was almost 2 minutes quicker than Ram 6.4. They run them with no driver input to keep the test as consistent as possible but the reality is anybody doing that will shift to the gear that makes sense and hold it a reasonable RPM. 

I did, there was no info on this engine until this video showed up.

1 hour ago, ApertureX said:

Still better than a knob on the dash like Ram.

6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d248e005970c-pi

And you know what's better than both?  Good old column shift!   

You're right though - even my wife hated the Dodge Ram I rented for a week with that knob shifter.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wesd said:

And you know what's better than both?  Good old column shift!   

You're right though - even my wife hated the Dodge Ram I rented for a week with that knob shifter.    

I prefer the column to get into gear, but if you paired that with some paddle shifters behind the steering wheel I'd be golden.

Looks a lot like a Gen. V block, except that it's iron.  Both bore and stroke are larger than current 6.0L.  Can't see any AFM parts.  Interesting they are staying with the 6L90 transmission, but no question gas engines do not need as many gears as diesels do.  Now, compared to the Ford 7.3L.:  The Ford is all-new, looks large, no horsepower or torque numbers yet.  Ford didn't go with direct injection.  Might make conversion to gaseous fuel easier, but I think Ford might run into problems in years to come with emissions.  My guess?  Ford will have a little more power, but will likely be less fuel efficient.

The new Not so New engine.  Its a 6.0l based block with .25 inch more stroke. Direct injection with variable cam timing and more compression.  Pretty simply change from the old l96.   Added direct injection in order to get away with the higher compression and a bit cleaner emissions. .25 inch increase in stoke to get a little more torque.  Id like to see the cam specs?

So if i do a cam swap on my 2016 l96 with around .525 lift and 220ish duration along with a good set of long tubes and the tune to match. I will have more power and at least the same amount of torque.. 

Was hoping to see 440 450hp and 460+ ftlbs  

But its a basic safe and reliable refresh that will last in the commercial side of the market. 

My guess is that the 7.3 from ford will be around 460-500ftbls.  And low to mid 400 for hp. 

Just my 2css

Watched the video on the 7.3L Ford gasser.  From a physical design standpoint that looks a lot like an LS inside and out.  445 cubic inches should be able to blow the 6.6 right out of the water... wouldn't surprise me if it makes 100 lb ft or more peak torque than the 6.6s 464.