Cold climate extended warranty owners beware!

Loyal Gm buyer. I must say though im pretty disgusted with this company. I live in the coldest climate in Canada..My winters reach -40 for weeks every year  i have a 2014 silverado ltz  all the bells and whistles, was a 80000(canadian lol) . i got extended warrany and pretty much every care package available 

One morning i go to start my truck..it doesn't start..boost it check the battery etc nothin..get it towed to the dealership and they tell me ...what happened is a flap in the exhaust froze shut thatll open or shut saving you gas in v4 mode i believe or whatever(you rarely see it unless going down hills or at a stop sign

whatever no big deal...till the ******** denied my warranty..reason? it was enviromental cause it froze..im sorry gm but I didn't drive my truck in a lake, i live in the coldest enviroment in the world that excuse doesnt fly with me and is an absolute slap in the face 

ive called numerous managers and employees to no avail..common sense doesn't exist anymore apparantly and yet after complaining so much they still have the nerve to call 50 times a year wanting to sell me a new truck

I will be buying 2 more new vechiles in the next few years and right now im seriously questioning if i will pay a premium to stay driving a gm especially with my piss poor customer service and them leaving Canada and Americans high and dry by shutting down plants

The gm tech who fixed it told me its a major flaw for cold environments and put a bolt through it to guarantee itll never happen again

Just a heads up watch out..what else are we screwed by living in cold environments 

Edited by Canucks19
  • Like 2

So how much did you pay for this bolt? I've had mine clamped open since it had 20 miles on it.

Also, which warranty did you buy? Ally or AMT?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 2017Darkness said:

You get condensation in the exhaust pipes from the hot and cold cycles...How much did you have to pay for the repair?? I'm not sure who's missing the common sense here....

Well common sense to me would mean...a bolt :thumbs:

Edited by SS502

16 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Well common sense to me would mean GM should either engineer a system that will work in a geographical arena the product is sold in or offer to sell it with NO warranty...but I think I know what you're saying...a bolt :thumbs:

The system worked for the first 4+ years of ownership....The common sense statement is more towards the OP not having a clue about how his truck operates and blaming everything else instead of listening or trying to understand why it happened. If he got bent over by the dealership for the repair, or the warranty purchase, is it GM's fault or ????

Just now, 2017Darkness said:

The system worked for the first 4+ years of ownership....The common sense statement is more towards the OP not having a clue about how his truck operates and blaming everything else instead of listening or trying to understand why it happened. If he got bent over by the dealership for the repair, or the warranty purchase, is it GM's fault or ????

No Sir...that's why I mentioned the bolt LOL I missed the 2014 part, I will edit my initial reply :thumbs:

GM replaced the exhaust on my 2014 Sierra. My flapper froze as well. It was a recall/bulletin. It happened and was replaced the first winter I had that truck tho. Temps reach -40 C here in Labrador as well.

My 2017 has never froze.