“Recovery Hooks” replacement tips

First off, whoever designed this area of the truck should be water boarded.

Alright, passenger side is a breeze, no issue at all outside of the little plastic flap and rubber spacer that you have to muscle the new hooks into.

Drivers side: in order to remove the 4” bolt you’re going to have to do some extra work (see picture). I took out the 1 18mm & 2 13mm bolts holding these 2 pieces of metal together that are in the way. I then used a flat pry bar (one used in flooring) and proceeded to open those 2 pieces of metal up. It’s best to pry with one hand and slip it out with the other. You’ll have to do the prying again to get the new one in. Such a PITA, but doable for us average guys.

I was too focused on the task to get pics during but here’s the area with some colorful arrows and circles [emoji851].

Yellow=the 2 pieces needed pried apart

Red=direction the metal needs to move.

Green= bolts needed removed

White=long bolt that has to come out and replaced. IMG_0451.thumb.jpg.6dd07f2b995f15be736056363f6c0249.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, OmniCamaro said:

Heres a post-install picture.  Well worth the effort in my mind. 

2017Silveradoredtowhooks.jpg

Are those the painted factory hooks? Mine came with new hardware, so I just used a sawzall and cut the bolt on the drivers side, then used the new one with the hooks, pretty simple. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Are those the painted factory hooks? Mine came with new hardware, so I just used a sawzall and cut the bolt on the drivers side, then used the new one with the hooks, pretty simple. 

Ha. I was going to post this info earlier today but he went to so much work and had such a nice post. I didn't want to bust his nuts?

Edited by tbarn

1 hour ago, OmniCamaro said:

It wasn’t that bad.  What you’re saying is to put the bolt in backwards?   Good idea.  

I’m going to sell my old ones so the bolt will come in handy.  

Yes sir, you just cut the head off of the one from the factory, then it just slides out, reverse the new bolt as it should have been put in the first place.

2 hours ago, tbarn said:

Ha. I was going to this info earlier today but he went to so much work and had such a nice post. I didn't want to bust his nuts?

Yea, I know, was just curious, others have done way more for the same results on here. I thought the "kit" still came with the instructions in the box.