1997 Silverado steering issue

My '97 K1500 has suddenly started to have an odd steering issue that I've never experienced before. 

I explained the issue to my mechanic that has been working on the truck for various things recently and he believes it is the EVO in the power steering.

Basically what is happening while driving....I will be going straight down the road and suddenly the steering wheel will move to the left or right without warning.

Of course this is not being caused by rough roads, etc....this is occurring on freshly paved highways and no incline....

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem before?  

-Brandon

Edited by bcrooms

They have been known to have issues. Had this on a 97 farm truck, I removed it completely. Its is supposed to help you when turning at lower speeds but was more trouble for me. You can also just unplug it. It will be a bit stiffer as its only the pump running the steering. Never bothered me when removed or disconnected. 

4 minutes ago, Mikebtte said:

They have been known to have issues. Had this on a 97 farm truck, I removed it completely. Its is supposed to help you when turning at lower speeds but was more trouble for me. You can also just unplug it. It will be a bit stiffer as its only the pump running the steering. Never bothered me when removed or disconnected. 

Can you assist one where this is located? I've just started looking for videos on where to troubleshoot this...

It's most likely the steering wheel position sensor (EVO sensor) on the steering column.  I replaced mine at 60k miles and now I'm at 200k miles and I've had no further problems.  That sudden movement in the steering wheel can be a bit unnerving.