Scan Tools with "Service Fast Learn" function for 6L80 trans

Good morning folks - 

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into which non-Snap-On, non-GM scan tools have the "Fast Learn" or "Service Fast Learn" special function available for use.  I've got a Launch x431 Pro Mini, but the only function/element remotely close is a reset function for transmission adapts (which simply wipes the TAP cells clean in the TCM).  The "Fast Learn" I'm looking for runs a routine wherein the TCM runs through all the clutches and sets pressures, etc within the TCM (these values would subsequently be amended - if necessary - during normal driving as part of the adaptive function of the TCM, of course.)

FWIW, I'm in the process of rebuilding the valve body for a 6L80 and I'm installing some Sonnax Zip Kit parts...and the directions (both the Sonnax directions and official GM reference materials) say to run the "Service Fast Learn" once any refurbishing is completed (it's a "REQUIRED" step...so I'm not going to skip it and cross my fingers).

I'm looking to avoid going down the road of buying scan tools until I find one that has this function.  I'm looking to avoid putting it on the hook for delivery to a dealer/shop.  I'm looking to avoid spending +5,000 bucks on a Snap-On or Tech2.

Thanks much - 

Jeff

Alpharetta, GA

Check with your local Transmission shop via phone or in person. Explain what you're doing and maybe they have a tool you can use for a deposit of course but if it saves a tow bill. They may help you.

When I had my Solus Edge 2 yrs ago it would do trans adaptations and such. Never messed with that stuff but I was able to see pressures in the transmission's solenoids and there was options there to do things but I didn't mess with any of that stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You can get a Tech-2 these days for about $350.  The latest software is 33.004 and make sure it comes with the Candi module is you're so inclined to get one.  The Tech-2 is a must have tool to work on these trucks, more important than the wrench!

Jeff,

So this is kind of a double edged sword. Yes, this will let you do the relearn. But I can't get it to work, and there is a specific reason why and I'm not sure exactly why that is but the long and short of it is that it isn't pulling in TCM specific parameters which is what it needs to allow the reset steps to be executed. I've tried six different ways to get it to work with no luck. So this is a your mileage may vary kind of situation. But I would probably look for another solution because the VCX unit can be a pain to work with sometimes.

Kyle

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 5:40 AM, iSky172 said:

Good morning folks - 

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into which non-Snap-On, non-GM scan tools have the "Fast Learn" or "Service Fast Learn" special function available for use.  I've got a Launch x431 Pro Mini, but the only function/element remotely close is a reset function for transmission adapts (which simply wipes the TAP cells clean in the TCM).  The "Fast Learn" I'm looking for runs a routine wherein the TCM runs through all the clutches and sets pressures, etc within the TCM (these values would subsequently be amended - if necessary - during normal driving as part of the adaptive function of the TCM, of course.)

FWIW, I'm in the process of rebuilding the valve body for a 6L80 and I'm installing some Sonnax Zip Kit parts...and the directions (both the Sonnax directions and official GM reference materials) say to run the "Service Fast Learn" once any refurbishing is completed (it's a "REQUIRED" step...so I'm not going to skip it and cross my fingers).

I'm looking to avoid going down the road of buying scan tools until I find one that has this function.  I'm looking to avoid putting it on the hook for delivery to a dealer/shop.  I'm looking to avoid spending +5,000 bucks on a Snap-On or Tech2.

Thanks much - 

Jeff

Alpharetta, GA

Ok, So actually I have been doing a lot of research into aftermarket scan tools because that seems to be a hot topic. Luckily for me I teach at a college and I work at a dealership and have access to a lot of scan tools without having to buy any. I still have purchased a few and I will give you some feedback on what I have found.

18 hours ago, swathdiver said:

You can get a Tech-2 these days for about $350.  The latest software is 33.004 and make sure it comes with the Candi module is you're so inclined to get one.  The Tech-2 is a must have tool to work on these trucks, more important than the wrench!

The tech 2 has and always will be my favorite scan tool. I really do like the GDS 2 but I started working on cars with the Tech 1 and when the Tech 2 came out I remember saying... Nothing will ever be better than this. And for as cheap as you can buy them now, I bought my own personal one. You can pick them up for $350 and it will do everything you need it to do from 1996 to 2013. The only problem is... It only is good for GM Vehicles. Tech 2 - https://amzn.to/2umeWyg

The next scan tool I will talk about is the Snapon Solus Ultra. It is what we use at the college. I know you said non GM/Snapon but I figured I would  out them in with the review. This scan tool works very well and It pretty much has all the capability of my Tech 2 accept for the programming aspect. Sometimes it even works a little better when I am graphing out ABS wheel speed sensors or anything I need to graph because the snapshot feature actually snap shots more than just the current data module you are in. The problem is, I hear they are not updating it anymore so we will be looking into upgrading it shortly, and they are expensive. But It is still a great scanner.

This scanner is as close to the solus/tech 2 I can find. One of the students in my class purchased this scanner and it is very nice. It still costs more than a tech 2 but it will work on multiple cars and is 100x cheaper than a Solus. Its a Launch CRP Touchpro scanner (or atleast thats the name on his, could be other ones with a different name) I was supprised at all it could do. It would communicate with the most bus on some of the newer entertainment systems, it would communicate with the ABS and the SDM for brake and restraint failures. It was easy to use and kinda rugged. It had a lot of relearn features on it. We cleaned the throttle body on a 2010 silverado and it started to run off and was able to relearn the idle with it. I am not sure if it will relearn what you're looking for, but it has special functions for alot of modules. It was $400 and even amazon has it with good reviews. https://amzn.to/2HJmxj1

The next 2 I will tell you about, I wanted to try a bluetooth one that would connect to my phone. I purchased the Auto doctor app on my iphone and I bought the cheapest bluetooth/wifi OBD2 ( https://amzn.to/2Tz6Psg ) which was $9. It will read and clear codes in the ECM/TCM but that's it. It will read you some data, but it's pretty much useless.

I bought the Blue driver ( https://amzn.to/2Fut11J ) and hooked it up to an Ipad. It works pretty nice and the range is remarkable. lol I gave it to the service writers at our dealership so they can do a quick scan on customers cars for people just walking in to get the codes read. It will do all the major modules, data from those modules and has some special functions. But it is just a cheap bluetooth scanner. Nothing serious. Would be  great for someone who just tinkers but not for anyone really trying to Diag cars.

In reality, you get what you pat for. But if you're only looking to work on your GM truck/car... Tech 2 is where it is. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I thank you all for the insights.  Especially you, Kyle - great info.  I think the road I'm going to take is more along the lines of OEM...mostly because I'm haunted by a couple stories of cloned Tech2's opening the doors to hell when attempting to speak with various modules.  I'm 80% done with a restoration on this 2007 and I don't have the will to start playing Go-Fish with modules which may get hosed and start screwing up the CAN - especially if the cause ended up being a badly assembled Tech2 clone I used in an effort to save money.

The option I think I'll go with is to buy another proper J-box (the one I have is being used halfway across the country...and will be inaccessible for quite a while), subscribe to the Tech2Win software via TDS  for 3 days (I already have SPS for another 14 months or so), and run the Relearn via laptop.  I think this will set me up successfully for anything that would ever need to be done while mitigating any risk that gives me pause.

Cheers to you all - 

Jeff

Btw, I've attached the GM doc for the procedure I spoke about earlier - in case it helps anyone out down the road.

Trans Fast Learn Adapts - Document ID_ 1688788-1.pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iSky172 said:

...I'm haunted by a couple stories of cloned Tech2's opening the doors to hell when attempting to speak with various modules. 

Never found first hand accounts when doing my homework before buying one.  A fella bricked a module the other day because he let his battery die, did not follow instructions.  I wonder how much of this gets blamed on the less expensive Tech-2s?  My Tech-2 can barely speak with our Pontiac Montana but works perfect on the Yukon and Impala, it's the old Montana with the problems.

• 4 years later...
On 3/27/2019 at 1:10 AM, carnau said:

Ok, So actually I have been doing a lot of research into aftermarket scan tools because that seems to be a hot topic. Luckily for me I teach at a college and I work at a dealership and have access to a lot of scan tools without having to buy any. I still have purchased a few and I will give you some feedback on what I have found.

The tech 2 has and always will be my favorite scan tool. I really do like the GDS 2 but I started working on cars with the Tech 1 and when the Tech 2 came out I remember saying... Nothing will ever be better than this. And for as cheap as you can buy them now, I bought my own personal one. You can pick them up for $350 and it will do everything you need it to do from 1996 to 2013. The only problem is... It only is good for GM Vehicles. Tech 2 - https://amzn.to/2umeWyg

The next scan tool I will talk about is the Snapon Solus Ultra. It is what we use at the college. I know you said non GM/Snapon but I figured I would  out them in with the review. This scan tool works very well and It pretty much has all the capability of my Tech 2 accept for the programming aspect. Sometimes it even works a little better when I am graphing out ABS wheel speed sensors or anything I need to graph because the snapshot feature actually snap shots more than just the current data module you are in. The problem is, I hear they are not updating it anymore so we will be looking into upgrading it shortly, and they are expensive. But It is still a great scanner.

This scanner is as close to the solus/tech 2 I can find. One of the students in my class purchased this scanner and it is very nice. It still costs more than a tech 2 but it will work on multiple cars and is 100x cheaper than a Solus. Its a Launch CRP Touchpro scanner (or atleast thats the name on his, could be other ones with a different name) I was supprised at all it could do. It would communicate with the most bus on some of the newer entertainment systems, it would communicate with the ABS and the SDM for brake and restraint failures. It was easy to use and kinda rugged. It had a lot of relearn features on it. We cleaned the throttle body on a 2010 silverado and it started to run off and was able to relearn the idle with it. I am not sure if it will relearn what you're looking for, but it has special functions for alot of modules. It was $400 and even amazon has it with good reviews. https://amzn.to/2HJmxj1

Studying in college can be a truly transformative experience, offering a wealth of benefits that can last a lifetime. For one thing, college provides an opportunity to expand your knowledge and gain a deeper understanding of the world around you. Additionally, college can be a time for personal growth and self-discovery, as well as the chance to form lifelong friendships and professional connections. Of course, college is not without its challenges. The workload can be intense, and the pressure to succeed can be overwhelming at times. Additionally, navigating the social dynamics of college can be tricky, particularly for students who are new to campus or who are struggling to find their place. One resource that can be particularly helpful for college students is the "heaven or hell test" available on StudyHippo. This test allows students to assess their current habits and behaviors, and determine whether they are on track for success or headed for disaster. By using this test as a guide, students can identify areas where they may need to improve, and take steps to stay on track and achieve their goals. Overall, while there are certainly challenges associated with studying in college, the benefits can be immense. Whether you're looking to expand your knowledge, build new relationships, or prepare for a successful career, college can be an excellent place to start. And with resources like the "heaven or hell test" available on StudyHippo, students can get the support they need to succeed.

The next 2 I will tell you about, I wanted to try a bluetooth one that would connect to my phone. I purchased the Auto doctor app on my iphone and I bought the cheapest bluetooth/wifi OBD2 ( https://amzn.to/2Tz6Psg ) which was $9. It will read and clear codes in the ECM/TCM but that's it. It will read you some data, but it's pretty much useless.

I bought the Blue driver ( https://amzn.to/2Fut11J ) and hooked it up to an Ipad. It works pretty nice and the range is remarkable. lol I gave it to the service writers at our dealership so they can do a quick scan on customers cars for people just walking in to get the codes read. It will do all the major modules, data from those modules and has some special functions. But it is just a cheap bluetooth scanner. Nothing serious. Would be  great for someone who just tinkers but not for anyone really trying to Diag cars.

In reality, you get what you pat for. But if you're only looking to work on your GM truck/car... Tech 2 is where it is. Hope this helps.

Thank you for answer!

Edited by Rosmunda Hauptly