Accessory Trailer Camera

My truck did not have the option to include the sensors. I found them for $75 a set on Ebay. I have 4 trailers. I bought 3 sets. One trailer is rarely used. I will Install them on my travel trailer my dump trailer and my tilt deck. I do have the advanced trailer package and it shows the set up for them. I also only have the tailgate camera. There is no plug for a camera on my truck. There is a trailer view in the camera screen. I have a coax cable under the bumper. If I add the plug will the camera work? I don't need invisible trailer.  just a rear view from the trailer. I only want it on my travel trailer.

can someone send me pictures of the wiring behind the bumper. Mine did not come with the right plug but i bought one and installed it. i could not find but one wire to hook up. i could not find two wires to hook to cameras. Also i guess the trailer wires have to be hooked up to test.
Mine only has one wire as well. Let us know if it works.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Ok none of the dealers know anything about the camera system. Long story but I will start from beginning. Bought a high end slt with all options. Dealer ordered camera and sent to another dealer. I finally got camera 2 months later. No where too plug camera in, I ordered receptacle and changed out myself. Could not find two wires that would work but found one and hooked to top right looking from rear of truck. Still would not recognize camera. Rewired the trailer where nephew had borrowed and tore wiring off. Trailer was recognized and then camera was recognized. Long three months but it works. Still have not found second wire but I do not haul gold in the inside of trailer. Hope this helps somebody out there since gmc dealers know nothing about this new product. Thanks for rant. Time for a beer!

Ok none of the dealers know anything about the camera system. Long story but I will start from beginning. Bought a high end slt with all options. Dealer ordered camera and sent to another dealer. I finally got camera 2 months later. No where too plug camera in, I ordered receptacle and changed out myself. Could not find two wires that would work but found one and hooked to top right looking from rear of truck. Still would not recognize camera. Rewired the trailer where nephew had borrowed and tore wiring off. Trailer was recognized and then camera was recognized. Long three months but it works. Still have not found second wire but I do not haul gold in the inside of trailer. Hope this helps somebody out there since gmc dealers know nothing about this new product. Thanks for rant. Time for a beer!

So is the camera on the middle button at the bottom of the screen? Is it just a backup camera or is it the invisible trailer thing? Enjoy the beer.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, cold beer said:

Just ended a chat with the owner center.  Their solution: shop dealers service department until you find one that knows something.  Good luck.  My local dealer sent me to Google, therefore I'm a new member here.  I have the camera, but as of yet not installed, and the correct receptacle on my 2019 GMC SLT.  Installation on an Airstream will not be trivial.  Since some of you seem to have gotten the camera to work, can you please tell me the conditions required to check the rear of trailer camera and its view?  Camera plugged in and view selected obviously.  Trailer plugged in and selected?  Truck started and in drive?  Etc.  I'm not mounting the camera until I know it works and the view is good.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2020 at 5:15 PM, cold beer said:

I bought a high end LT and it has a 4 pin connector and 7 pin connector. I wanted to swap that receptacle out for one that has the 2 trailer plus and 7 pin plug. I found these wires by the other plug wires behind the bumper. Are these the 2 wires for the camera ports? 

6980EDDD-1FF3-4BCF-9705-D429C4F2DE85.jpeg

Edited by Ditrymax

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, Ditrymax said:

I bought a high end LT and it has a 4 pin connector and 7 pin connector. I wanted to swap that receptacle out for one that has the 2 trailer plus and 7 pin plug. I found these wires by the other plug wires behind the bumper. Are these the 2 wires for the camera ports? 

6980EDDD-1FF3-4BCF-9705-D429C4F2DE85.jpeg

Ditrymax - Were you able to add the trailer camera to your truck?  I also have the standard 4 and 7 pin receptacle. 

• 3 months later...

So I bought the GM accessory camera and mounted it to my camper. Used the flex grey tubing others have suggested , underneath , several zip tie and clamps where can re-use metal screws holding the insulation pads under, and mostly along the propane line. I used the spare tire mount , clamping a (thick ) metal stick to the back, and screwing camera mount on there, as I didn’t want to drill in camper. Clamps hold this metal stick (think like a yard stick) to the spare tire holder. I was worried about vibration but seems to work fine on highway, pic attached. 

Few things learned in process , you can remove the camera from mount to run cable up or down,and you can take apart camera and disconnect the camera module (lens section) to be able to fit the cable thru the flex grey tube to protect the black tubing it ships with. Otherwise no way to feed thru tube.  Pic below. 

Lastly, the camera is finicky, in that it doesn’t like hot install as others have pointed out. You should have your truck off, all doors closed. Make connections then fire up, select your trailer profile and pump brakes. With doors open , other scenarios I was getting a black nothing screen otherwise on many occasion.. hope it’s not indicative of bad hardware. 

Good luck. 

7D838A39-9D67-4E5C-9151-693D89B55D6F.jpeg

4E227A10-CB75-4554-B082-2A20D57D0C74.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Apologies to bump an old thread, but it looks like a solution to enable 'invisible trailer' using the accessory AUX trailer camera is still not completely clear.

Based on this thread and others, the following 3 OEM parts would be needed to retrofit the vehicle to accept the OEM AUX camera(s):

1. Swap out high-mount third brake light to part# 84699124 (w/ bed camera w/o Mirror camera -- ~$100)
  2. Swap Trailer harness receptacle with part# 13530416 or 13526856 (~$75 - $95)
  3. Video Processing Control Module 

Open questions: Does the infotainment require an update or will it recognize the VPM / additional camera(s) once plugged in? Are the body harnesses in IOS equipped trucks already pre-wired?

My situation for reference: 2022 2500HD SLE w/ Premium GMC Infotainment System and Trailering Apps. Unfortunately the dealer did not advise me to add the $250 bed camera option to ensure invisible trailer works. 

Edited by Afrim Zeka

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2019 at 7:22 PM, robinbit said:

I just purchased a 2020 Sierra SLT with the Technology Package. It came with the ProGrade trailering system as standard equipment. It has the correct ports on the back of the truck to connect the two auxiliary trailer cameras (one inside, one on the rear of the trailer). It has the "invisible trailer" icon on the camera app on the infotainment system. I was told by the dealer that I could purchase and connect the auxiliary camera, which I have not yet done. My question is about the trailer tire monitors. There were none in my truck. The salesman thought they should have been included. Anybody know if they should have been included?

I'm sorry - why would you type a bunch of information about the auxiliary cameras when your question is about the trailer tire monitors. I'm trying to find information on the auxiliary cameras and I get your post in a search of cameras and your post has NOTHING to do with cameras.