Accessory Trailer Camera

21 hours ago, LSX Z28 said:

I will definitely post what I find. Looking at the breakdown at the dealership, it looks like the camera has two screws that hold it to the 3rd brake light. It also appears that you can order the 3rd brake light with a camera hole, but doesn’t include the camera. Or you can get a light with the camera included, but you can not purchase the camera by itself. 

I ordered the harness that connects from the camera in the brake light to the rear view mirror to see what the connectors looked like. (The picture above) I was hoping that it would be long enough to use as an extension and remove the camera from the brake light (or order a new one) and mount it on the cap. But the harness is only about 24” long. My new thought after I got the harness today would be to install the trailer camera, which already has a mount, and Is designed to be outside in the elements, and has a cable that is plenty long. I might try to order one tomorrow. 

What does the wire on the harness look like? Do you think it could be cut and spliced with normal wire? 

I have a trailer camera waiting for me at the dealer. I thought about mounting it to the back of the camper top and using it as a rearview mirror but wonder if it will work without a trailer hooked to the 7 pin connector. Anyone know the answer to this?

30 minutes ago, ArTurf said:

What does the wire on the harness look like? Do you think it could be cut and spliced with normal wire? 

I have a trailer camera waiting for me at the dealer. I thought about mounting it to the back of the camper top and using it as a rearview mirror but wonder if it will work without a trailer hooked to the 7 pin connector. Anyone know the answer to this?

It wouldn’t let me set mine up without it being connected - but I will let you know tomorrow. I have set it all up, and will simply connect only the cam tomorrow and let you know. 

25 minutes ago, 2019ArkansasSierra said:

It wouldn’t let me set mine up without it being connected - but I will let you know tomorrow. I have set it all up, and will simply connect only the cam tomorrow and let you know. 

Appreciate that

Even if it works it might be awkward running the wires but I'll cross that bridge when I get there

1 hour ago, ArTurf said:

Here is a picture of the wire in the harness next to a piece of RG6. I showed it to a high end A/V installed, and he said he hadn’t ever seen a wire like that. He said it had similar properties to RG6, but you can see it is way smaller. I don’t know what the rear view camera rating is (looks like 4K to me) so I am not sure how the resolution would hold up with trying to splice in a different wire. 

I would think that the camera would work in my situation, replacing the camera in the 3rd brake light, as that is already programmed to be on all the time. 

I could see something in the programming not allowing a trailer camera plugged into the trailer port to work without a trailer hooked up. But who knows. 

03882D06-E761-49E5-8955-4FAF1318EDC5.jpeg

14 hours ago, ArTurf said:

Appreciate that

Even if it works it might be awkward running the wires but I'll cross that bridge when I get there

It did not work without the camper being hooked up as well.  Not sure how the wiring goes - but I would think if you plugged one of the 7-pin test connectors up, and the camera it might work. I don’t have a test connector. 

POLLAK 12741EV 7-Way Circuit Tester

3 hours ago, 2019ArkansasSierra said:

It did not work without the camper being hooked up as well.  Not sure how the wiring goes - but I would think if you plugged one of the 7-pin test connectors up, and the camera it might work. I don’t have a test connector. 

POLLAK 12741EV 7-Way Circuit Tester

Could you take a picture of the plug on the end of that camera wire, please?

17 minutes ago, 2019ArkansasSierra said:

E6C701E0-CF7E-4D0B-9E93-74534F4A5ABC.jpeg

C1F5B42A-A84E-4E75-9B59-C311B636A673.jpeg

8D3D9845-680E-4ECB-93F9-E8F42BD1AA62.jpeg

Thanks! I guess that looks like a different connector than what I posted yesterday, so I guess that won’t work for what I was hoping it would. Back to the drawing board. 

12 minutes ago, LSX Z28 said:

Thanks! I guess that looks like a different connector than what I posted yesterday, so I guess that won’t work for what I was hoping it would. Back to the drawing board. 

Well - that is the camera plug that comes with the truck (if it had the optional camera). The other end may just be the one under the bumper before it attaches to the combination plug on the truck itself. I’ll check. Mine didn’t have the “inside” trailer camera plug attached to the combination plug. It’s secured under the rear bumper - and you can see the empty space where it goes in the other pic I highlighted in red. 

5EAC9EC6-3A98-4080-A783-6BDED17760CA.jpeg

AE7F6D79-DA54-420B-BAC8-DC6B5EBFBC0D.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, Chris Callanan said:

Best I can tell, at least in my 2019 SLT - the hard wire connections are there..  there is a connector behind the license plate that should be for a camera, and from 3rd hand information it seems the cabling is in the door/mirror for the side view trailering cameras...  so if you can get the cameras, great... what you'd be missing is the programming for the head unit to actually recognize them...  the dealer will most likely *not* do this.  Our only hope is to get somebody like WAMS to program it up for us :)

what or who is WAMS

• 1 month later...

Guys I really need some help I have a 2019 Sierra SLT with the"Trailer View Camera" Package and I have the two Aux ports on top of the 7 pin connector. I purchased the camera today for my 6x12 however whenever I connect the camera it is blank on the screen. Furthermore, I followed the installation instruction closely (not to connect the camera when the truck is running) yet there is nothing simply black blank scree. Is there something I am missing? Also the instruction manual talks about doing a calibration in the trailer app but there is no such a thing. All I have is an icon for the camera in the camera app that has the side mirrors and the trailer camera option but whenever the trailer camera is selected whether with the side mirror or not it just shows blank. PLEASE HELP !! 

The only thing that I could think off that does not align with the manual is the 7 way connector. My trailer only has 4 pin and I am using and adapter to plug into the 7 way on my truck. 

Edited by Aalfawaz