tailgate drop interior button

I have gone thru the settings and manual both extensively to see if there a way to make the interior button drop function like that of the fob, requiring 2 pushes or similar to drop, but don't see anything.  Anyone know a way?

I feel like it's just a matter of time before I drop it unintentionally since the button only requires a single push and is immediately next to the auto stop start disable button I hit every time I start the truck.

Looking at the manual:  "If the tailgate encounters an obstacle during a power open cycle, it will stop on the obstacle. After removing the obstruction, the tailgate can be allowed to open."

Not sure if this will actually stop it from damaging something like the hood of another car parked behind you.  Anyone drop their tailgate onto something unintentionally yet? 

I've done it...twice.

I have a narrow driveway and keep my truck and a 2000 Jeep Wrangler parked one in front of the other depending on which one I'm driving that day.

Several weeks ago I had the truck backed up to the Jeep and when I say backed up, I mean you can't squeeze between them.

I was detailing the inside of the truck. While wiping down the truck's center console area I must have inadvertently pressed the power down tailgate button. Didn't realize it until I walked around and saw the tailgate sitting on the black metal aftermarket bumper on the Jeep. Thought for sure I dented or scratched it especially since I knew it was aluminum. Lifted it up and nothing. Not a mark.

A few weeks later my dumb ass did the exact same thing. You'd think I would have learned. No marks again. 

Now I pull the truck forward enough to ensure the tailgate will not make contact with the Jeep while I'm cleaning it.

2 minutes ago, fish_guru said:

I've done it...twice.

I have a narrow driveway and keep my truck and a 2000 Jeep Wrangler parked one in front of the other depending on which one I'm driving that day.

Several weeks ago I had the truck backed up to the Jeep and when I say backed up, I mean you can't squeeze between them.

I was detailing the inside of the truck. While wiping down the truck's center console area I must have inadvertently pressed the power down tailgate button. Didn't realize it until I walked around and saw the tailgate sitting on the black metal aftermarket bumper on the Jeep. Thought for sure I dented or scratched it especially since I knew it was aluminum. Lifted it up and nothing. Not a mark.

A few weeks later my dumb ass did the exact same thing. You'd think I would have learned. No marks again. 

Now I pull the truck forward enough to ensure the tailgate will not make contact with the Jeep while I'm cleaning it.

I don't understand at all why they didn't make it a 2x push like the fob and from what I can find there is no selection to do so or anything else that would stop it from so easily being activated inadvertently.  I wonder if there is actually some sort of dampening effect since you had zero damage, twice?  That statement I posted from the manual isn't real clear, looks like that could be what they are trying to say.  I hope I have your results when it happens to me.

I agree, it would be nice to have the option to make it a double push switch. 

I do love the feature though.  Use it all the time. 

Wonder if any GMC owners have dented their multi-pro tailgates on a trailer hitch with that part that folds down?

On 4/26/2019 at 2:23 PM, AJ Sullivan said:

I have not run into this issue, but if you are hitting the auto stop button every time, I saw somewhere on here that there is a delete wiring harness that you can get and install.  You might look at that.

Thanks, I saw it too.  I will probably get one of those at some point or a tuner that will do the same.