New 2019 - question from Ford defector

Bftx

Hi all, I picked up a 2019 Trail Boss a week or so ago, and I have to say I'm having a ball with it.  This is my first GM vehicle after owning Ford all of my life.

I had one question, what is the best way to touch up the frame?  The only negative in my eyes is the wax coated frame.  I have a few small sections where the wax has rubbed off more than likely during assembly.

I was going to purchase the Daubert Nox Rust aerosol spray, but I would prefer using something a bit less toxic.  Can I clean the effected areas, then spray/brush on oil to protect the bare metal?  Main thing is, I don't want the oil to react with the wax coating, and begin to loosen/flake off.  Any particular oil?

I'm going to the ocean in a few months and want to make sure the nicks on my frame are good and coated.  I'll be driving on the beach a good bit, but will avoid the direct salt water.

Appreciate it!

Edited by Bftx

41 minutes ago, Bftx said:

Hi all, I picked up a 2019 Trail Boss a week or so ago, and I have to say I'm having a ball with it.  This is my first GM vehicle after owning Ford all of my life.

I had one question, what is the best way to touch up the frame?  The only negative in my eyes is the wax coated frame.  I have a few small sections where the wax has rubbed off more than likely during assembly.

I was going to purchase the Daubert Nox Rust aerosol spray, but I would prefer using something a bit less toxic.  Can I clean the effected areas, then spray/brush on oil to protect the bare metal?  Main thing is, I don't want the oil to react with the wax coating, and begin to loosen/flake off.  Any particular oil?

I'm going to the ocean in a few months and want to make sure the nicks on my frame are good and coated.  I'll be driving on the beach a good bit, but will avoid the direct salt water.

Appreciate it!

Glad you deflected SIR!  Don't worry about driving in the ocean or on the beach it's the same?  Once your there it's in the air.....you will be fine!

Any type of petroleum/ oil based product is likely to soften and act as a solvent against the frame coating. It also will not last/ protect as long as the wax coating does.

Not sure why the “toxicity” of the Daubert spray coating really matters...from the areas you showed in the other thread, probably 1/8th of a can will do, and it’s no more noxious than any other kind of paint. 

I would vote to keep it simple and touch it up with what’s already on there, and Daubert is the same as OE. 

4 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Any type of petroleum/ oil based product is likely to soften and act as a solvent against the frame coating. It also will not last/ protect as long as the wax coating does.

Not sure why the “toxicity” of the Daubert spray coating really matters...from the areas you showed in the other thread, probably 1/8th of a can will do, and it’s no more noxious than any other kind of paint. 

I would vote to keep it simple and touch it up with what’s already on there, and Daubert is the same as OE. 

I don't believe I've posted pictures of the spots.  They are no bigger than a finger tip, and would just need a quick spray.  No rust has formed on the smudges.

Sounds good, I might as well just go with the Nox Rust.

Edited by Bftx

3 minutes ago, Rkaroll953 said:

i have been touching up the frame on my truck with the NOX rust and its been flawless. i was down on the frame wax too but so far so good.

Any particular way you apply?  I'm assuming since I have no rust on the areas rubbed off, I can just wipe clean with a rag, then spray?

Just now, Bftx said:

Any particular way you apply?  I'm assuming since I have no rust on the areas rubbed off, I can just wipe clean with a rag, then spray?

honestly i caught it before it got rusty, i just lightly wire brushed it and then sprayed it. did not try and over think it