No power to trailer lights

Ok I hooked up a trailer to my 1 month old 2019 Chevy Silverado today for the first time and had no trailer lights. Hooked up my second trailer and also had no trailer lights. Connected both trailers to my father-in-laws truck and both worked fine. Checked both sockets the flat 4-pin and round 7-pin and had no power at either one. Anyone else had this problem?

ok I would get a test light 12v and verify at your truck plug what you do have. Check the turn signal left and right and running light.  Definitely check as BSHORT said the harness. If the fuses are good then you should have power back there, check the ground that could keep it all from working to. Since it so new you could take it back to dealer also 

Looks like the harness is connected to the sockets and have already tested for voltage with a multimeter nothing on running lights, either blinker or brake lights. Got an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Probably something simple but got me stumped at the moment.

There is a bulletin out about trailer light control module. Big thread about this under other heading. Guys originally thought it was related to cold weather. It shows up also as trailer disconnected message. Problem has to do with lights drawing too little or too much amperage. Took me a long time to get mine sorted out but the reprogram should help.

Took it to dealer and they had to order a “module” for it. We will see next week if that fixes the problem. Never thought there would be such trouble to just hook up a trailer and plug your lights in. It’s really no all that complicated until technology gets involved lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my 2019 LTZ also didnt power lights at first.  Even though the trailer brakes worked. Later it said that the trailer was disconnected.  I changed the profile on the 'car hauler' and

removed backup lights.  I dis and reconnected the 7-pin connector then 'added' a trailer.  The truck prompted me to test the trailer lights and it looped through testing left, stop, 

right lights and sure enough the side markers were on as well.  Havent tried it again but will.   dont recall now if I set it to tow/haul mode.  Neighbor said his 2011 ran used to report 'disconnect' and 'connect'  while driving 

all the time.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with my 2019 gmc slt all trailer lights work except running lights. I tried trailer with daughters ford they worked fine. no power at running light pin. went to dealer they said trailer is not compatible with truck said it was a pulse width modulated system in truck and I needed a 55ma draw from trailer lights to make it work and need a load resister on lights. I think load resister is needed if you have led lights since they don't draw enough. bought a curt plug # 57003 adapter which has resisters built in, it didn't work tried truck on friends trailer,  running lights worked fine,  had truck tested at trailer place he said it was fine. Tried connecting an old headlight to running light pins and it light it up. also have a trouble call on truck trailer screen. here is the strange part when trailer is connected and I turn lights off then on running lights go on for I sec then off, every time I turn off then on same isec blink of lights. Wondering if I have too many lights on that line and the heavy draw kicks lights off since they are not led. 

Edited by littlethorn

Maybe your ground isn't hooked up on the trailer.  These trucks have a hard time getting power back to the trailer through the hitch.   Mine would reset and show connected/not connected.  Took the ground wire on the trailer and made it grounded to the harness, so it completes the path not through the hitch.  Worked for mine anyway. Good luck.

Ken

Has anyone with these problems tried the trailer light module reprogram I mentioned earlier. It helped my truck a lot. I believe that it widens the acceptable amp draw of the trailer lights substantially. My running lights were drawing too much so it would shut down so I swapped all trailer lights to led. Then my brake a d signal lights were not drawing enough so it shut down so I added the resistors. Now after reprogram and new lights everything works as it should. Also eliminated the trailer disconnected message that used to show up frequently. A combination of new lights with the proper amperage draw plus the refresh has almost completely eliminated these problems.