Anyone lift their LT? Tire clearance with 285 KO2

Ok so, I got my new LT from the dealer the other day with the 2 inch GM factory lift, same as the trail boss. Truck looks great, drives great, smooth for KO2s. They’re 285/60/20s on stock tires, but my question is, do the wheel wells on the trail boss have a difference from the LTs? My tires rub on full lock on the front of the wheel well, and stock tires are only 275s, so I’m curious to see if they’re different wheel wells. Thanks for any input guys!

b0c228274a381f529afa390ae4184148.jpg

d05ca7f2a0abbf3345a11e164726ac4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Trail Boss has a small lift which adds slightly more clearance. Can you zip tie the front of the wheel well liner back to give enough space to not rub? Nominal diameter is a tad high. Sounds like these stock height trucks can clear 33" tiress but 33.5" might be just enough to rub a tiny bit.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

Yeah I got the same lift as the trail boss from the dealer put in. But I heard the trail boss has bigger wells and wanted some input

2 hours ago, BradenP said:

Yeah I got the same lift as the trail boss from the dealer put in. But I heard the trail boss has bigger wells and wanted some input

The Trailboss has the same wheel wells as all of the other trucks.  What you need to do is the mudflap mod.  It will solve your problem.  

You remove the 3 torque screws on the front side of the mudflap, then remove a 10 mm bolt on the back side.  The mudflap can then be pulled away from the truck body and pushed towards the engine bay.  There will be another torque screw holding the carpet wheel liner to the bracket, remove this and pull the wheel liner up and away as much as you can.  This will give you access to the bracket behind it.  The bracket has 4 bolts that have 13 or 14 mm heads.  Remove those and the bracket comes off.  Then put everything back in reverse order.  The final step is to drill a small hole on the back side of the carpeted wheel liner near where it attaches to the rear front mudflap and insert and zip tie it into that new hole and an existing hole on the body near it to pull the flap back.  Do not drill thru the mudflap, just the carpet.  Repeat for the other side.  The whole process took me about 30-45 total for both side and I wasnt in a rush lol. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BradenP said:

Thought TB lift wouldn't work on LT?

The Trailboss has the same wheel wells as all of the other trucks.  What you need to do is the mudflap mod.  It will solve your problem.  

You remove the 3 torque screws on the front side of the mudflap, then remove a 10 mm bolt on the back side.  The mudflap can then be pulled away from the truck body and pushed towards the engine bay.  There will be another torque screw holding the carpet wheel liner to the bracket, remove this and pull the wheel liner up and away as much as you can.  This will give you access to the bracket behind it.  The bracket has 4 bolts that have 13 or 14 mm heads.  Remove those and the bracket comes off.  Then put everything back in reverse order.  The final step is to drill a small hole on the back side of the carpeted wheel liner near where it attaches to the rear front mudflap and insert and zip tie it into that new hole and an existing hole on the body near it to pull the flap back.  Do not drill thru the mudflap, just the carpet.  Repeat for the other side.  The whole process took me about 30-45 total for both side and I wasnt in a rush lol. 

I’ve seen that mod as well but it rubs the front of the wheel well and I only went one size bigger!

3 minutes ago, BradenP said:

I’ve seen that mod as well but it rubs the front of the wheel well and I only went one size bigger!

Hmmm...are you sure about the tire size being 285/60R20?  I'm running 305/55R20 which converts to 33.5x12.5 while yours converts to 33.5x11.2.  I do have aftermarket rims but that would make it worse not better.  I never rubbed in the front of the tire only on the back.  Theres a few members on here with a Trailboss lift and 34s and 35s on stock wheels with no rubbing.  Can you send a picture of exactly where its rubbing

• Like 1

Hmmm...are you sure about the tire size being 285/60R20?  I'm running 305/55R20 which converts to 33.5x12.5 while yours converts to 33.5x11.2.  I do have aftermarket rims but that would make it worse not better.  I never rubbed in the front of the tire only on the back.  Theres a few members on here with a Trailboss lift and 34s and 35s on stock wheels with no rubbing.  Can you send a picture of exactly where its rubbing

I’ll see if my girlfriend can, I left for work for three weeks today. But it’s the first thing I checked and it’s just touching enough, than I heard that the wheel wells are different on each model, so I assumed that was why

1 minute ago, BradenP said:

I’ll see if my girlfriend can, I left for work for three weeks today. But it’s the first thing I checked and it’s just touching enough, than I heard that the wheel wells are different on each model, so I assumed that was why

Ok, the wheel wells are 100% the same across all 8 trim levels so it's got to be something with the tire size

Edited by z1boss

Ok, the wheel wells are 100% the same across all 8 trim levels so it's got to be something with the tire size

I know the tire size is right so i was just curious cause like you said, others had bigger with no rub and mine are stock as well

10 minutes ago, BradenP said:

I know the tire size is right so i was just curious cause like you said, others had bigger with no rub and mine are stock as well

Do u have a side picture of the truck you can post?  It's hard to see from the angled pictures you orginally posted but maybe it's possible that they didnt install the Trailboss lift?  I cant tell honestly.  Here is a picture of my non leveled Trailboss for reference of how much distance there is between the tire and fender tops.

Snapchat-1277795345.jpg

Edited by z1boss

Do u have a side picture of the truck you can post?  It's hard to see from the angled pictures you orginally posted but maybe it's possible that they didnt install the Trailboss lift?  I cant tell honestly.  Here is a picture of my non lifted Trailboss for reference of how much distance there is between the tire and fender tops.

60dab40165cce6036c62fba679e96420.jpg

It’s hard to tell with the black, but there’s a lot of space in the rear wheel well. And on the front rear wheel it doesn’t come that close to the mud flap at all

Just now, BradenP said:

60dab40165cce6036c62fba679e96420.jpg

It’s hard to tell with the black, but there’s a lot of space in the rear wheel well. And on the front rear wheel it doesn’t come that close to the mud flap at all

It is hard to tell but I do see that your truck has a lot of rake, at least in this pic.  Mine doesnt have that much rake at all.  If you measure from floor to fender top, the back should be 1.5 inches higher than the front.