new truck, contaminated fuel

hi, new user here. I recently purchased a 2019 2500HD duramax. It has about 900 miles on it. I came across this forum while doing some research on tow mirrors. Not a concern at this point...

I got the "water in fuel" message on the DIC. As directed in the user manual, I cracked the valve on the fuel filter, but there was no water. The fuel was quite dark, however. I received the message about a day after filling up the tank. The tank was full when I bought the truck, and have filled it only twice myself. The truck is currently at the dealer and they're having to drop the tank, clean it up, etc. and of course this is not covered under warranty. I contacted the place where I bought the fuel most recently, and they've shut down the pumps and will have their supply tested. If found to be contaminated, they will reimburse my bill.

If they find their supply to be clean, then what? I filled up only one other time, it was the same chain of stores, but in a location several hundred miles away. The only other possibility is that I received a new truck that was already contaminated.

I understood the diligence required with fuel when switching to a diesel, but I wasn't expecting an issue so quickly. anyone else have similar experiences?

I've heard of contamination in fuel problems occurring when filling up soon after a load of fuel was dropped and stirred up the water and/or other contamination in the underground tanks.  

Also heard of gas being dropped into a diesel tank, but that doesn't sound like the problem you are having. 

OTOH, in about 15 years of diesel pickup operation I've never had a water-in-fuel issue. (or any other fuel contamination issue, for that matter).

• Like 1

I've heard of contamination in fuel problems occurring when filling up soon after a load of fuel was dropped and stirred up the water and/or other contamination in the underground tanks.  
Also heard of gas being dropped into a diesel tank, but that doesn't sound like the problem you are having. 

OTOH, in about 15 years of diesel pickup operation I've never had a water-in-fuel issue. (or any other fuel contamination issue, for that matter).

Funny you mention that, the fuel truck was there at the time of my fill-up. Guess I won’t do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, viper86 said:

Funny you mention that, the fuel truck was there at the time of my fill-up. Guess I won’t do that again.

It would be good to know if they were dropping diesel.  Might have been a gasoline only delivery.

Of course, they should have a record.

Over the years I’ve gotten bad fuel when I drove diesel pickups. I just carried extra fuel filters. It’s been so bad I would have to change once a day, then gradually get better. I never had to drop a tank. Sometimes I would add more filters. It can be a recurring problem.

It would be good to know if they were dropping diesel.  Might have been a gasoline only delivery.
Of course, they should have a record.

In the interest of full-disclosure (and good faith) I will let their manager know that the delivery truck was there. Would explain if there was a good test in spite of my bad fuel. For as dark as the fuel was, though, I’d be surprised if it would even settle out.

Over the years I’ve gotten bad fuel when I drove diesel pickups. I just carried extra fuel filters. It’s been so bad I would have to change once a day, then gradually get better. I never had to drop a tank. Sometimes I would add more filters. It can be a recurring problem.

I’ll be packing those from now on along with an 18mm wrench to crack the valve on the filter housing for sure.

• Like 1

Way back,  I worked in a fuel station, and when the tanks were dipped to verify inventory there was paste put on the stick that would give an indication of how much water was settled in the bottom of the tank.

Presumably that can still be / still is done.

Going forward, would I be paranoid if I always dispensed a sample from the pump (into approved container, of course) before I fill the tank? Seems silly, but so far 1/2 the tanks of fuel I’ve pumped have apparently been contaminated. I am a bit gun-shy.

update... the fuel was tested and found to have been contaminated, so the store will reimburse me for the cost of having the tank dropped, drained, cleaned, and new fuel filter installed. They did have a fuel drop that day. wonder if the fuel they got was bad in the first place... the manager said he talked to their supplier about it but did not elaborate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

so the saga (possibly) continues. Thursday night, I was on my way home from our local zoo. Truck drove mostly fine across town, then I made a turn into the neighborhood and the thing just stumbled. no response to throttle. From a stop, it would respond, but at low speed, it just would not respond. Yesterday morning, I got about 2 blocks from home on the way to work, and the "reduced engine power" notification popped up, eventually leading to a CEL. Turned around and went home and rode to work with my wife instead. Pulled two codes off of it last night with a buddy's scanner. P0087-Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low Bank 1, and P228C-Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Exceeded Control Limits - Pressure Too Low.

Hope this isn't an ongoing issue due to the fuel. Wondering if perhaps in the process of re-assembling things, something didn't get put together quite right. The check for reimbursement, of course, shows up the very same day I have another problem. This truck's been a drag and I've only had it a month. Supposed to pull a camper with it next weekend.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, viper86 said:

update... the fuel was tested and found to have been contaminated, so the store will reimburse me for the cost of having the tank dropped, drained, cleaned, and new fuel filter installed. They did have a fuel drop that day. wonder if the fuel they got was bad in the first place... the manager said he talked to their supplier about it but did not elaborate.

1 hour ago, viper86 said:

so the saga (possibly) continues. Thursday night, I was on my way home from our local zoo. Truck drove mostly fine across town, then I made a turn into the neighborhood and the thing just stumbled. no response to throttle. From a stop, it would respond, but at low speed, it just would not respond. Yesterday morning, I got about 2 blocks from home on the way to work, and the "reduced engine power" notification popped up, eventually leading to a CEL. Turned around and went home and rode to work with my wife instead. Pulled two codes off of it last night with a buddy's scanner. P0087-Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low Bank 1, and P228C-Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Exceeded Control Limits - Pressure Too Low.

Hope this isn't an ongoing issue due to the fuel. Wondering if perhaps in the process of re-assembling things, something didn't get put together quite right. The check for reimbursement, of course, shows up the very same day I have another problem. This truck's been a drag and I've only had it a month. Supposed to pull a camper with it next weekend.

All that sloshing around of the new fuel being pumped in could have stirred up the contaminants you picked up (just speculating - have no idea how storage tanks are set up).  Then that contamination has wrecked your FPR and or Fuel Pump.

I left the truck sit from Friday night until last night. Drove it a few blocks to the store last night and it was fine. Drove it this morning about 6 miles to the dealer and it was fine. Dealer removed offending regulator, cleaned it, and replaced it. Thankfully they covered it under warranty even though they said it could easily have been from the bad fuel yet.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 6:20 PM, redwngr said:

I tanked fuel and I go thru about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year.  I have never understood the idea about after a tanker dropping fuel that the stuff in the bottom is all stirred up and causes a problem.  The pickup tube is down to within a few inches of the bottom anyway. if there is water and contaminates down there they are going to get sucked up into the pickup tube.  

Now I have seen where after a major rainstorm that fuel tanks get more water in the tanks.