Rear facing car seat in double cab

My baby has outgrown the infant carrier so here's how the rear facing seat is.  Its doable in the center.   Behind the driver/pax seat is too tight for the rake I want.

Seat is a Britax click tight (my preferred brand)

20190610_172807.jpg

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

My first thought was... wouldn't that fling the baby through the windshield?

Then I came across this: https://saferide4kids.com/blog/where-to-put-your-car-seat/ 

Seems the middle is the way to go. Color me surprised.

Yeah, Ive seen allot out there saying rear PAX is the best place for the US.  I guess they're thinking about t-boning during a left turn?

This is what pushed me into a crew-cab (2015). Child safety seats are huge! We have Britax as well, and are gradually moving up into the convertible booster style. Their footprints aren’t quite as enormous, but still...

I am curious tho, I’ve seen vague reports that rear legroom in the new double cab is better... big enough for booster seats? Or are we parents with multiples still stuck with the crew cab?

Edit:

Now I see your Frontier booster in the passenger position. How’s the overall fit there?

Edit #2:

Also, I had to remove the back seat headrests to allow the Frontiers to set correctly on the seat.

M.

The boosters are awesome.  Plenty of space.  I did another thread on just the booster here somewhere.

Overall, I'm confident I can get my kids to teenage years with the T1 doublecab.  The K2 double was significantly tighter/smaller to me.  I hedged and got a front bench also since we need may need to sit 6 in an emergency.  Tried it once and the front middle teenager is unhappy but totally doable for short range/emergencies.

I was told the Crew Cabs have much more spacious interior.. so I checked Edmunds for the 2018 Double and 2019 Double.. here it is:

Front Legroom

- 2018 - 45.3"

- 2019 - 44.5"

Front Headroom

- 2018 - 42.8"

- 2019 - 43.0"

Front Hip Room

- 2018 - 60.7"

- 2019 - 61.2"

Front Shoulder Room

- 2018 - 65.9"

- 2019 - 66.0"

Rear Legroom

- 2018 - 34.6"

- 2019 - 35.2"

Rear Headroom

- 2018 - 38.7"

- 2019 - 39.9"

Rear Hip Room

- 2018 - 60.2"

- 2019 - 60.2"

Rear Shoulder Room

- 2018 - 65.8"

- 2019 - 64.9"

41 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

My first thought was... wouldn't that fling the baby through the windshield?

Then I came across this: https://saferide4kids.com/blog/where-to-put-your-car-seat/ 

Seems the middle is the way to go. Color me surprised.

When my wife first told me about this "recommendation" I laughed. I'm guessing the safety experts aren't trying to lift a 30 lb kid into the center seat over and over. Nor do they have 2 kids who constantly bicker when within arms reach. I can't imagine driving to the in-laws 1 state over if my kids' seats were adjoining.

My two cents: Any kid is safer in the back seat of a pick-up truck than they would be in a smaller car. Put the car seat wherever you want that makes sense to you.

We kept both of our kids on the driver side when they were infants for ease of getting to them, instead of having to walk around the vehicle. When #2 was born, #1's seat moved to the passenger side.

Yes, my wife couldn't lift the infant carrier to the center so in her Tahoe the baby is outboard PAX and the toddler climbs into her booster in the center and we turn around and buckle from the front seats.  When they're both front facing I can totally see having to separate them...