Introduction and a question on wheels

Hey guys. I’m Matt. I’m in New Hampshire. I have a single cab short bed sierra wt that I’ve been adding goodies to as I go. Love the truck. Fast, loud, debadged the way I like it.  My end game is a GMC version of the Ford Lightening.

But I’ve got wt wheels on it now, a/t tires at that.  All the big wheel and tire packages seem geared to mud, etc. I dont know beans about wheels and offset and all that... but can I get  a wheel that’ll support something like a 300+ wide summer tire on 19’s?  And I want to keep my 32(31?) inch tires. I just want fast lockup, burnouts are cool and all, but speed is better.

Thanks a lot for letting me in the group. Matt

Edited by ShortyMatt

Welcome aboard Matt. I don't think I've seen 19" wheels on a Sierra or Silverado K2 but I have 305/40r22's on a 9" wheel with +27 offset (31.9" tall if I remember correctly)  on my regular cab and have seen others using 20" wheels with 305/50r20  tires. 0 offset places the hub mounting surface in the center of the wheel,  positive offset sets the hub further towards the front of the wheel thereby setting the wheel more towards the inside of the fender and opposite for negative offset i.e.when you see a big 4 wheeler with the wheels sticking more outside the fender it's most likely negative offset . I can't remember the name of thread exactly but if you search the forum for something like "post pics of your wheel/tire setup" or something like that you'll find a thread with some good info. 

Btw, just nit picking a bit ? but it's actually a "standard" bed on a regular cab  as short bed is only available on certain 4 door trucks (short bed is about a foot shorter than our standard bed!) 

IMG_0818.thumb.JPG.af4443e54288d6c20837b6835ab0bd0b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, ShortyMatt said:

Hey guys. I’m Matt. I’m in New Hampshire. I have a single cab short bed sierra wt that I’ve been adding goodies to as I go. Love the truck. Fast, loud, debadged the way I like it.  My end game is a GMC version of the Ford Lightening. I’m out of things I can do myself (see my sig) Next step is a turbo system that I’m currently working out with a shop up here that has some great ideas.

But I’ve got wt wheels on it now, a/t tires at that.  All the big wheel and tire packages seem geared to mud, etc. I dont know beans about wheels and offset and all that... but can I get  a wheel that’ll support something like a 300+ wide summer tire on 19’s?  And I want to keep my 32(31?) inch tires. I just want fast lockup, burnouts are cool and all, but speed is better.

Thanks a lot for letting me in the group. Matt

Welcome to the site!

As Marv88 also said (kind of), I would steer away from the 19"s.

Had them on my 2008 Highlander, and you are very limited by how many manufactures make that size tire.

Doubt very much if you would be able to find a performance for summer and an all weather for winter, probably just the latter.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!  Great info. 

Marv, you got me on the standard bed part!  Haha, one of those things I always forget.  Hey your setup looks killer!  The only reason I was thinking 19's was a worry that the bigger I go on the wheel size the stiffer the ride gets and up goes the frequency of my back end hopping around.  In practice I'm sure I'm overthinking it... trucks with the stock suspension are gonna hop no matter what probably.  I'm going to go over and check out your build thread right now.  The big wheels look really good.

Matt

59 minutes ago, ShortyMatt said:

Thanks guys!  Great info. 

Marv, you got me on the standard bed part!  Haha, one of those things I always forget.  Hey your setup looks killer!  The only reason I was thinking 19's was a worry that the bigger I go on the wheel size the stiffer the ride gets and up goes the frequency of my back end hopping around.  In practice I'm sure I'm overthinking it... trucks with the stock suspension are gonna hop no matter what probably.  I'm going to go over and check out your build thread right now.  The big wheels look really good.

Matt

You're welcome and thanks for the compliment Matt! I had the same thought before I bought new wheels and quite honestly I kinda wish I had gone with 20's as these roads around here are brutal with a regular cab as it is with stock 17's! (I didn't like the look of 18's and never considered 19's). 

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site!

As Marv88 also said (kind of), I would steer away from the 19"s.

Had them on my 2008 Highlander, and you are very limited by how many manufactures make that size tire.

Doubt very much if you would be able to find a performance for summer and an all weather for winter, probably just the latter.  

Do you remember that old T bird with the metric size wheel that only Michelin made a tire for at a cost twice what any typical sized tire of the time cost?! ?

1 hour ago, Marv88 said:

Do you remember that old T bird with the metric size wheel that only Michelin made a tire for at a cost twice what any typical sized tire of the time cost?! ?

Standard equipment on Ferrari's too: The Michelin TRX, (and the related TDX), is a radial tire introduced by the Michelin Group in 1975. It is one of the first volume-produced low-profile tires. Although technologically advanced, and reasonably successful, the tire's requirement for a non-standard rim ultimately condemned it to a relatively short commercial life. It has thus been called the " Betamax of the tire industry.

18 hours ago, Marv88 said:

17 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Standard equipment on Ferrari's too: The Michelin TRX, (and the related TDX), is a radial tire introduced by the Michelin Group in 1975. It is one of the first volume-produced low-profile tires. Although technologically advanced, and reasonably successful, the tire's requirement for a non-standard rim ultimately condemned it to a relatively short commercial life. It has thus been called the " Betamax of the tire industry.

My dad's 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara came stock with rare tires that you couldn't find anywhere around here. Found that out after the dealership he used to go to destroyed one of them. 

I settled on 295 50s on chrome 20x9s with a +18 offset.  General summer performance tires.

I also booked 3 weeks of work in July and put in a parts deposit on something special.  But I’ll keep that under wraps ‘till my dyno day........... which is the day before my 40th birthday.  ??????????

21 minutes ago, ShortyMatt said:

I settled on 295 50s on chrome 20x9s with a +18 offset.  General summer performance tires.

I also booked 3 weeks of work in July and put in a parts deposit on something special.  But I’ll keep that under wraps ‘till my dyno day........... which is the day before my 40th birthday.  ??????????

Sweet and be sure to post pics when you get them on! Do yo have a build thread yet? (I can't see signatures for some reason)