3.0 Duramax...I want this!

j-ten-ner

First go to the Equinox diesel forums. Diesel that shuts off when u stop. Plugs cats an the regen cycles with reduced power.

Then contemplate this is the first 0w20 oil diesel engine...an if the turbo seal fails you can turn that engine off...but she wont shut off til the last of her engine oil is consumed as a fuel and she goes..kaboom.

I love the idea they put the timing chain on the back of the motor requiring a motor pull for service. It was designed for a specific group of people.

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

The people who don't work on their own cars?

It wouldn't be the first engine I have to pull out.

I was once in the same boat. Always questioning the capability of the engineers who are designing those engines and trucks.

But some designs or technologies require some compromising. Maybe there's a good reason for putting the timing chain to the back of the engine.

One has to pull the cab off a F350 Power Stroke to change the turbo. Bummer.

The timing chain is actually the least of my concerns.

As for a run away diesel, maybe there are measures in place. An oil by-pass at the turbo when the engine exceeds a certain rpm w/o throttle input and fuel shut off is not activated (when coasting down a hill). It'll fry the bearings in the turbo but maybe save the engine.

How many run-away diesels have you seen? I've had one experience. It was an old Russian bulldozer. Back in 1986.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner

54 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

Maybe there's a good reason for putting the timing chain to the back of the engine.

How many run-away diesels have you seen?

Well, since it powers the injector pump, maybe that's why they put it back there, for packaging reasons.

As for the runaway, not a one in 30+ years.