Onstar Basic

20 hours ago, slide187 said:

Hahaha wow. So that emoji I put in there translated to “loser” in text. Hahahha so just so ya know I was NOT calling you a loser. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png. Look at the web version. He’s just a laughing dude making finger guns. It looks horrible on Tapatalk tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem.  I think we are both on the same page now.  When you first said you had service for 10 years for free the OP was asking about using the app for remote start so I thought that is what you meant you had.  Later you clarified that you have the Connected plan for 10 years which as we both said doesn't include the remote start.

No offense taken here ....

9 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

My 2018 is connected through 2028.  That’s ten years from the purchase date.  Never discussed at the dealership so I can only presume this is their standard for connected services.

See response above.  The Connected services gets you basically nothing but GM thinks they look good by giving it to you for 10 years free!!

• Like 1

The connected services allows you to use the app which allows you to remote start and lock/unlock your doors.  Maybe more, but that’s what I understand and it’s those features that I like.  It is also nice to check my oil and mileage, etc through the app, but none of the above is something I’d pay for.

Edited by GN2018

The connected services allows you to use the app which allows you to remote start and lock/unlock your doors.  Maybe more, but that’s what I understand and it’s those features that I like.  It is also nice to check my oil and mileage, etc through the app, but none of the above is something I’d pay for.

No, “connected services” is the basic plan with none of those features. All you get is a monthly diagnostic email, the safe driver tips thing, and the ability to book a service appointment. All that other stuff is part of the paid plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you are correct.  Unfortunately, like a lot of things these days, the way it's written makes it difficult to parse out what exactly is included.  I did not read it with that in mind.  Yes, connected services gives you the app, but in re-reading the documents, the locking and starting are premium services.  Best I can tell, those services are called "Connected Access". 

Very similar to getting the price of an airline ticket only to find that if you actually want to be more than cargo, you need to pay more.  Typical, but BS none the less.

Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by GN2018

The 'basic' service is just remote fob features from the app. I got 5 years with my 2017.. If you want to see 'vehicle status' ...mileage, oil % , tire pressure,  odometer, etc from the app you need an updated plan. I have the 'protection plan'. It's normally $19.99 month, but when I call to cancel it, they give it to me for $9.99 month for 6 months at which time I call again and they continue $9.99 for another 6 months. It gives me road side assistance, diagnostics, remote vehicle status from my phone, as well as some crash response protection. As long as I pay $10 a month, I'll keep it for a while.....Much like XM that tries to charge you $200 a year.. I have them at $60 a year now.  

Edited by Loco-diablo

The 'basic' service is just remote fob features from the app. I got 5 years with my 2017.. If you want to see 'vehicle status' ...mileage, oil % , tire pressure,  odometer, etc from the app you need an updated plan. I have the 'protection plan'. It's normally $19.99 month, but when I call to cancel it, they give it to me for $9.99 month for 6 months at which time I call again and they continue $9.99 for another 6 months. It gives me road side assistance, diagnostics, remote vehicle status from my phone, as well as some crash response protection. As long as I pay $10 a month, I'll keep it for a while.....Much like XM that tries to charge you $200 a year.. I have them at $60 a year now.  
Incorrect. What's "free" varies depending on when you bought your truck...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 6/21/2019 at 8:21 PM, GN2018 said:

Best I can tell, those services are called "Connected Access". 

Thanks for clarifying.

Correct.  Follow the link in my post above to compare plans but here is a quick review (doesn't cover everything for each plan):

"Connected Access" plan:

• Free for 10 years
  • Only includes making service appointments through the app and a monthly email with diagnostics

"Remote Access" plan:

• Free for 1 month (starting with the 2018 models, earlier models got longer freebie, some up to 5 years) then $14.99/month after that
  • Includes above plus remote lock/unlock, remote start, remote horn and lights, vehicle locator

Everything else most people think of with OnStar (advisor, crash response, vehicle disable):

• Free for 1 month (starting with the 2018 models, earlier models got 2 or 3 months) then various cost after that
  • Requires even higher plans shown on that page
  • Like 1

I would be happy with being able to get help when I press the "SOS" button (even the OnStar operators wouldn't answer when I tried to call them, through their button), whether I have a service plan or not.  There is still no cell coverage in the area where my accident was a year ago.  :mad: 

Here's how screwed up it is for me:

2015 (bought new) = No active OnStar plan being paid for, but can use app's key fob functions, can send directions to in dash nav, get monthly reports.  Website says I have The Basic Plan until 2020 (5 years since purchase)

2016 (bought used in 2019) = Safety and Security Plan active and being paid for.  Can NOT use the key fob features, cannot send directions to in dash nav, do get monthly reports.  Website says besides Safety & Security, says I have Basic Plan through late 2020 (1.5 years since purchase?  weird), and Connected Access through 2024 (5 years since purchase)

2018 (bought new) = No active OnStar plan being paid for, but can use app's key fob functions, can send directions to in dash nav, do NOT get monthly reports.  Website says I have The Basic Plan until 2023 (5 years since purchase)

What kills me is that I can pay $$ for the safety & security package but not get key fob actions on app, but on the 2 cars I am paying nothing on, app functions are active.  Seems like inconsistencies on their part.  I would call but fear there is something goofed on the 2015 and 2018 status and they would figure that out and shut off the active functions.