Onstar Basic

31 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Connected access isn't what you think it is...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Agreed!  My 2018, purchased in late December 2018, came with 1 month free of everything and 10 years of connected access.  I can't even get the diagnostics to work.  It's been 6 months, and I'm supposed to get a report emailed to me every month.  The only report I ever got was 2 months ago when I called to complain that I've never gotten a report.  They reset the system and I got a report emailed to me, but nothing since.  When I log onto MyChevrolet, it just tells me that it's not available and to call them.  Same thing it's always said.  I guess I should call them again, but we'll see.

I pay $11.99 a month for the remote access.  It's cool to be able to start and unlock my truck from my Apple Watch.  I'm sure that will get old soon and I'll dump that too :)

Capture.JPG

I had a 14 with the remote through the app. I loved it and used to all the time. So pissed they are now charging for it. They need to make that part free. I bought a $70k truck and they are nickel and diming me for that crap. It's BS...

• Like 1

I DID like being able to start/stop, lock/unlock the truck from my phone. When I work in Boston it’s in a garage out of the range of my key fob so in the winter it was nice to have the truck warm. But I can just go a few floors up and and the fob reaches so I’ll keep my $15. It’s inconvenient but walking is free. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I had a 14 with the remote through the app. I loved it and used to all the time. So pissed they are now charging for it. They need to make that part free. I bought a $70k truck and they are nickel and diming me for that crap. It's BS...

I know connected access isn't worth much, why I have the unlimited plan. As far as having to pay for service I don't have any problem with that. It seems as if nowadays everyone seems to think everything should be free. I don't know of many businesses that would stay in business very long if they didn't make a profit.

Not any more.

Starting in 2015 they went to 5 free years of the "Basic" plan.

Then in 2016 they went to 3 months free of the top plan (5 if you give them a credit card) then nothing free after the trial.

Then since 2017 it has been 1 month free of the top plan (2 if you give them a credit card) then nothing free after the trial.

To get just the Remote Start/Lock/Unlock after your trial expires you need to subscribe to the "Remote Access" plan which is $14.99/month (or $149.99 if you pay for the whole year at once).

This is not just for the trucks -- it's across all GM brands and vehicles (even Cadillac buyers get screwed!)

When I bought my 2017(Feb of that year), I got 4 months free of top plan. 5 years of basic(for free) after it expired (lock/unlock/remote start/diagnostic/location). I bought the security plus, then it was $25.. but after a couple months, they sent me an email to discount my security plan to $15.. so that's what I'm in now.

That's about skipping one lunch outing at work a month.. so no biggy.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

You got lucky. Maybe it goes by the build date or something? My Dad bought his 18 at the end of March and he only got 1 month plus the two they give you for adding a card...

The 1 month should have been the top tier, had that as well, never used it. Basic was nice. Id reach out to OnStar first about the 10 years of Connected(used to be called Basic) plan and then Chevy customer service if needed. 10 years of connected should apply to that purchase, if it was bought new. 

This was the last update to policy from my understanding and speaking with onstar last month. I have to pay 14.99 now for the app and diagnostics email after my 5 years basic expired. Both were pretty nice to haves.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/general-motors-technology/onstar/onstar-plans-pricing/onstar-basic-plan-info-price/

On 6/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, slide187 said:

Negatron, Megatron.

I just bought my 2018 this past March and this is what my expiration date is:
4c1120f9b46c6a7979f04e125be9bfb9.jpg

I agree with you on the prices tho. It’s way too pricey. And the key fob isn’t too expensive, but expensive enuff to be annoyingly not worth it.

As you figured out in another post just above, you have Connected Access for 10 years but that doesn't include the remote app stuff it just gives you email status alerts and the ability to schedule a dealership visit through the OnStar button.  Like I said the cheapest plan you can get that allows you to do remote start/lock/unlock/vehicle locate is the Remote Access plan.

Comparison of all the different plans is here (click on "Compare Plans" in the middle of the page to see the features and price for each):

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing/compare-plans/

I was able to negotiate a slightly lower price for my retired parents.  They just bought a new 2019 Equinox and the trial expired.  I was polite to the OnStar advisor but the best I got was $99/year if they paid for the entire year with a credit card.  After taxes and fees it comes out to just over $9 per month.  My parents really like the remote start and vehicle locate options so they agreed to that price.

Edited by sk

2 hours ago, sk said:

As you figured out in another post just above, you have Connected Access for 10 years but that doesn't include the remote app stuff it just gives you email status alerts and the ability to schedule a dealership visit through the OnStar button.  Like I said the cheapest plan you can get that allows you to do remote start/lock/unlock/vehicle locate is the Remote Access plan.

Comparison of all the different plans is here (click on "Compare Plans" in the middle of the page to see the features and price for each):

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing/compare-plans/

I was able to negotiate a slightly lower price for my retired parents.  They just bought a new 2019 Equinox and the trial expired.  I was polite to the OnStar advisor but the best I got was $99/year if they paid for the entire year with a credit card.  After taxes and fees it comes out to just over $9 per month.  My parents really like the remote start and vehicle locate options so they agreed to that price.

I mean..  I didn’t “figure it out”... as much as i said it.:loser:   Like I said before I called them the day I got the truck and they explained all of it and the pricing to me. What was free, what wasn’t, and what the plans cost.  It’s never been a mystery. 

Hahaha wow. So that emoji I put in there translated to “loser” in text. Hahahha so just so ya know I was NOT calling you a loser. [emoji1787][emoji1787]. Look at the web version. He’s just a laughing dude making finger guns. It looks horrible on Tapatalk tho.