Starter-- One click won't start

On 1/20/2020 at 12:50 PM, Whatnext said:

I have just had the same problem on my 2018 silverado with 40k on it. It happened the first time 3 weeks ago. drove it, stopped and it wouldn't start. I jumped it with a jump box and then cables just to make sure.. The dash, lights and radio all come on as normal until i go to the start position, then everything goes off/black and 1 click. As i let off of start position the dash all comes on again. After watching some youtube videos and 2 hours later, i went out to the truck, reached under the passenger front fender and gave a wire a shake (thinking it went to starter) got in and it started.. Probably a total coincidence but never the less it was running.  Then 3 weeks passes and it does it again. I waited 2 hours, gave the wire a shake again, and nothing. Got it towed in and luckily it still did not start when it arrived at the dealership and they diagnosed the starter. Here is the kicker, there are no starters in North America and it may take up to 3 weeks for them to get one!! I think they have a huge problem that they aren't telling us!! I work in the auto industry and i know as a parts supplier the pipeline is always full unless there is a big big issue...

This sounds SO much like my problem.I have a 2018 Silverado with 42k.The problem generally happens when it is less than 25 degrees.If I keep trying to start it,it has always started.But sometimes it takes 6-7 turns of the key.It has been to the dealer twice,and it always works fine for them.They told me they have no ETA on a new starter.Kind of a joke really.I already had changed the battery a few months ago,thinking it was that.I keep checking this forum for this topic to explode.Most 2018 owners don't have 40k miles yet.But just wait!

Edited by 442olds

Same for my 2018 with 25000 miles.  Truck sat all weekend and worked fine Monday morning.  Went to the store for 10 minutes, came out and just a click.  Turned the key about 15 times, wiggled wires, did a dance and started right up.  Put it in the garage to inspect, wouldn't start.  Battery was fully charged, but I still charged overnight to be sure...wouldn't start in the morning.  After about 20 turns with the key, starts right up and I took it to the dealer.  It is important to note that the dash, headlights, interior lights all seemed to work fine with no messages about the battery.  So now it sits at the dealer with the starter on National Back order!  He is hoping it will be in within a 1.5 weeks.  In the meantime, my loaner is a new 2020 loaded Yukon.....I can live with it for now, but miss my truck.

Edited by cansled

They found a starter for mine, installed and on the road again.  My personal opinion is that they have a huge problem with the starters but don't want the expense of a recall. And, between keeping the line supplied and supplying replacements, their supplier is not tooled up for the huge volume... btw, I work as a supplier in the auto industry. 

My 2018 Silverado is out of warranty.The dealer said that the starters were on backorder,but I was able to locate one on my own.I asked for a quote on labor to install it,and my local Chevy dealer said they could do the job for $288.

I thought that seemed rather expensive.Upon installing it myself,I found that you can easily get the old starter down in less than 10 minutes and be complete with the job in about 1/2 hour.

So if you need a starter and are out of warranty,don't get ripped off by your local Chevy dealer.

So far so good with the new starter.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, just a follow up on the starter situation - which I’m sure is no secret any longer - within two weeks time I personally knew three people with these trucks that had their starters go (all under 50,000 miles). Three of them towed to the dealer. Two of them could not get the part. Guy at one dealer said, this is the worst thing he’s seen from GM in 25 years...the amount of failures and lack of parts. 

The starters are not sealed properly. They leak. Moisture gets in. 

I believe there’s a recall for it now, so if you paid out of pocket, GM should reimburse you. Don’t quote me on this. Lol.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

2017 Silverado 5.3. Having similar issues here. Starter was sounding slow for a couple of weeks but it never failed to start. Figured I’d go for a new battery since I needed a new battery for my boat anyway and if that wasn’t the problem I’d just use my old truck battery in the boat. Changed the battery, started truck, worked perfectly. Turned it off to try a few restarts ........ click! Checked everything and noticed the starter wires and studs on the starter were looking a bit rusty so I took the starter off, disassembled and cleaned everything. The starter showed no signs of wear (brushes, bushings, reduction gears). Worked perfect. Starter was turning much faster and sounded normal again. Today I accidentally left the key on and noticed the warning about the battery saver feature was active. It started anyway........ once! Then back to the same “click” I was getting after the battery change. A charger on boost didn’t make any difference either. Gonna wait until tomorrow and check for voltage at the small wire while someone tries to crank it. If voltage there, I’ll check the feed from the solenoid to the starter. I’ll post my results. 

Edited by Cansomike

Problem solved. GO BACK TO THE BASICS!!!! Don’t just go ahead and throw on a new starter! Of course that may fix the problem because you’re also fixing the connections at the same time!  A bad connection on the solenoid was the culprit. When I removed and overhauled the starter the first time, there was one nut that wouldn’t turn and I didn’t want to risk breaking the stud off so I left it alone. Today I got someone else to try and crank it and I just happened to be looking at that same nut and when he tried it I saw a small spark. It was the nut that would normally hold the starter cable on if they didn’t have that stupid plastic/metal “adapter” on there. I had to cut the nut off and run a thread chaser over the threads as it was arcing there and messed up the threads a bit. Just one more connection to corrode and fail, imho!

Edited by Cansomike

6 hours ago, Cansomike said:

Problem solved. GO BACK TO THE BASICS!!!! Don’t just go ahead and throw on a new starter! Of course that may fix the problem because you’re also fixing the connections at the same time!  A bad connection on the solenoid was the culprit. When I removed and overhauled the starter the first time, there was one nut that wouldn’t turn and I didn’t want to risk breaking the stud off so I left it alone. Today I got someone else to try and crank it and I just happened to be looking at that same nut and when he tried it I saw a small spark. It was the nut that would normally hold the starter cable on if they didn’t have that stupid plastic/metal “adapter” on there. I had to cut the nut off and run a thread chaser over the threads as it was arcing there and messed up the threads a bit. Just one more connection to corrode and fail, imho!

I'd keep an eye on that, that shouldn't have sparked unless it was a loose connection. That's generally a fool proof connection. Big wire, low resistance...a few people have complained of a spark at the starter. Was the connection loose? 

The nut was blackened and so was the stud. I’d say it was loose enough to cause some heat (resistance). While cleaning it I could see where it made marks from arcing. The threads were messed up a bit from arcing as well. It’s not the nut that holds the cable on, but the one that holds the adapter onto the solenoid. 

86D82C64-C7A7-420D-9273-72D436F4C9C2.png

69E2B829-EA14-4A4F-A3C6-4E29E6AA4E5A.png

517A0A9E-6721-4411-9B08-358401713940.jpeg

Edited by Cansomike

• 8 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:31 PM, Beer Belly said:

I had the same issue, but intermittent and the dealer kept pointing at the battery, meanwhile I was telling them the battery was fine, check the starter. They would not budge on thier diagnosis, even though I told them "When it does start, it cranks and starts strong", so I caved and paid for a battery, it was 3 years old anyhow. 2 hours later, no start, so I called them and they were sending a tow, I went outside and she fired up and drove her in. I told them once again "It's the Starter, check the damn Starter !"....his answer "Did you ever think it might be the Alternator ?".....he must of noticed my puzzled look "How the freak does a bad Alternator cause an intermittent no start ?".....to shorten an already long story......yep, new Starter

Oh my goodness. Here I sit, stranded (at home) with a 2018 we bought certified a few months ago.  First time, dealer replaced battery.   I challenged my husband that it wasn’t a battery issue - the truck took a lot to start. 

Randomly I’d have the issue and the suggestion was to see if it would start with the key. Remote start.  Okay, it will but that makes no sense. 

Truck packed up.  All set to tow a horse about 100 miles and <click> nothing.  Tow truck on its way.  I’m smiling through my pissed-off real feelings because I need the dealer to fix it tonight.  They said they could get it in as soon as we arrive. 

I’m going to smile and suggest they replace the starter (under warranty) because my brand new battery I bought from them last month isn’t dead. 

Oy vey. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Add me to the list.  Except I think we're zeroing in on the issue being starter heat soak as the truck will only have starting problems on extremely hot days.  And after a no start situation, if I let it cool off for about 10 minutes or so it will start up again.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/starting-and-charging/starter-will-not-crank-when-hot-heat-soak/