LT vs. E Tire Ride

I need to buy new tires and I want to use my OEM 22" wheels. The size I really want to run is LT285/55R22 but they only come in a load range "E". I'll rarely tow if ever and I'm only really interested in the ride quality. I once put "E" tires on my Tahoe and I couldn't take them off quick enough due to the harsh ride. My question is...... How much do you guys think the ride will suffer over my current 305/45R22 XL tires? 

New LT285/55's are 34.37" tall

Current are 305/45's are 32.8" tall

I'm wondering if the taller sidewall vs the shorter sidewall may equal out the ride firmness? Maybe?

34 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

Most LT tires are E rated. More sidewall will be softer but its still going to be firm/rougher

My Current tires are "XL" rated.I dread going to "E" tires but there isn't many options for 22" wheels, ugh. 

3 hours ago, eppieguy said:

I need to buy new tires and I want to use my OEM 22" wheels. The size I really want to run is LT285/55R22 but they only come in a load range "E". I'll rarely tow if ever and I'm only really interested in the ride quality. I once put "E" tires on my Tahoe and I couldn't take them off quick enough due to the harsh ride. My question is...... How much do you guys think the ride will suffer over my current 305/45R22 XL tires? 

I'm wondering if the taller sidewall vs the shorter sidewall may equal out the ride firmness? Maybe?

They are going to be VERY harsh. 22" wheels and load range E tires are naturally going to give a bad ride. I had LT285/70R17's LR E tires on my 2014 and even with the extra sidewall and a cold tire pressure of 42 PSI, the truck felt like it was rolling on wheels carved from stone. The extra weight of a LT E-rated tire increases the unsprung weight of the suspension, which also hurts the ride quality. I will say that the heavier duty tires definitely paid off when I ran over some nails. Pulled 3 or 4 roofing nails out of them one day. No leaks, no problems. They were more stable when the truck was maxed out with cargo too.

17 hours ago, eppieguy said:

The optional stock 275/50R 22s Bridgestones on my RST at 36 psi which sit 32.5" tall are no rougher than the stock more aggressive treds of the 17" Wranglers with more aggressive treds on my '16 Z71.

When test riding the a few '19s on rough concrete highway with expansion strips the optional 50R 22s were rougher riding than the stock tires with more sidewall, but make up for it in handling, especially in sport mode. On smooth macadam surface highway, no difference in ride.

I've always ran Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L 285/45 22 on my 5 previous trucks.  This time for my RST I went with the Michelin Premier LTX 275/50/22 with a 32.9 o.d. running 36psi and couldn't be happier.  Treadwear is a good compromise at 620 with traction A and Temperature A and is a perfect fit on a 22X9 wheel. I thought the Michelins would ride about the same as the Bridgestone's  but these Michelins has the Bridgestone's beat on ride, quietness and smoothness.  They balanced out to zero with very little weight and ride amazingly smooth.  I'm very satisfied and glad I went with Michelin.  I understand the sidewall and specs are different from the 285/45/22 and I'm not making light of Bridgestone which is a great tire IMO but I'd highly recommend the Michelin LTX.  

20190523_170113.jpg

Thanks guys but the issue is, the sizes I'm looking only come in an "E" tire, those tires aren't "E" 10 ply tires, not apples to apples in any way unfortunately.  There are such limited choices when trying to  buy a bigger 22" tire, and I think 12.5 is going to be too wide unless I run spacers in which I'm trying to avoid. I have just have to run the E tire and a lower pressure and hope they aren't too harsh. Touch choices here.

3 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

Thanks guys but the issue is, the sizes I'm looking only come in an "E" tire, those tires aren't "E" 10 ply tires, not apples to apples in any way unfortunately.  There are such limited choices when trying to  buy a bigger 22" tire, and I think 12.5 is going to be too wide unless I run spacers in which I'm trying to avoid. I have just have to run the E tire and a lower pressure and hope they aren't too harsh. Touch choices here.

Sure I understand but, can I ask why you want that size tire?  Is it because you like the looks and want a taller tire etc?

I'm lifting the truck and my current tires are going to look lost, anything in a 34 / 35"  tire that's less that 12" wide is an E rated tire, I can go to 20's and have more choices but then I need to buy wheels too and I like my 22's. My current tires 305/45R22's are 11.93" wide and I can't even get my finder between the tire and the upper control arm, I highly doubt 12.5" wide will fit and I don't want the wheels out of the fender well either, been there, done that, don't need my paint trashed in a years time. This is my own fault for being stubborn but as the saying goes " I want what I want", LOL

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

I'm lifting the truck and my current tires are going to look lost, anything in a 34 / 35"  tire that's less that 12" wide is an E rated tire, I can go to 20's and have more choices but then I need to buy wheels too and I like my 22's. My current tires 305/45R22's are 11.93" wide and I can't even get my finder between the tire and the upper control arm, I highly doubt 12.5" wide will fit and I don't want the wheels out of the fender well either, been there, done that, don't need my paint trashed in a years time. This is my own fault for being stubborn but as the saying goes " I want what I want", LOL

Gotcha ?