air bag failure

5 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Where did you see a pic?

5 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Good call, I do not see a picture in this thread.

You guys would make lousy detectives ?

2 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

That is probably a given, but where did you see the picture, or are you just calling a troll out on this post?

Click on her name or pic next to her post .

There's all her info. And a pic of the truck. Same pic you saw .

Trollsville all the way.

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

There is no freaking way that is what she’s calling 80mph.

That’s probably about the amount damage that would happen if prime lawrence taylor was trying to tackle you truck.

7 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

I have to agree, even the smallest, lightest car at 80 would do more than that.

This is what mine looked like when hit at about 60.

MVIMG_20181226_193213.jpg

Chuck Norris?

23 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I’ve had two airbags deployed on me.

once going 35mph in a yukon denali and a drunk in the passenger seat grabbed the wheel and ran it into a tree

once driving like an ass in a 400hp civic taking a turn to hard I hit a 4x4 post.

The civic airbag deployed with extremely little damage to vehicle. Not a lick of injury or pain.

Denali bag deployed also, not a lick of injury or pain.

To the OP, yes I’m pretty damn sure your airbag should have deployed. If it’s fast enough to **** your truck up it should have deployed.

At the same time, I doubt the front collision is the one that caused the neck pain.

Your choice to own a modern full size pickup just saved your life, thats for sure.

congrats on surviving

In every GM vehicle i have owned, airbags do not deploy in a rear end collision. Your head and back hit the seat back and headrest first, then the seat belt tensioner pulls in the slack, once the body forward motion and momentum starts again the seatbelt stops the forward movement. In this case you typically end up with a case of whiplash to the passengers.

Just because the vehicle hit the vehicle in front doesnt deploy the airbags either. Airbag deployment from a front in collision requires a certain forward speed to be met and for the front airbag inertia sensor to trip the airbag deployment.

Even though the OP was a standstill and was hit at 80mph and push forward into the vehicle in front of him that doesnt mean his vehicle reached the acceleration and speed needed for the front airbags to deploy. The deployment speed was changed years ago when a lady sued a vehicle manufacture when she hit a curb head on at 5mph and the front airbags deployed, her son or grandson was killed from the front airbag deployment. That is when the manufactures changes the airbag deployment speed to vary depending on the speed of the vehicle, adding to where the airbags wont deploy if the front seat passenger cant trip the seat weight sensor, and changed how fast the vehicle had to be moving for forward for the front airbags to deploy.

Unless some new changes have been made, there are no sensors in the rear of a vehicle to tell the airbag to deploy. Your back and neck will hurt regardless if the airbag had deployed or not. As previously mentioned, airbag deployment when the front of the vehicle has struck something depends on a number of factors that the sensors and computers calculate. You likely did not meet the parameters for deployment.

Looking at the pictures of your accident, I would say that you were hit at the most 30mph and that comes from pics shown by EMS when they transport patients to the ER to be check out. I am curious as to why your engine is shot as I didn't see a picture of the front end.

Glad you made it out ok.

• 11 months later...

Long story but a police chase caused a direct hit of the suspects car into the front drivers side at an estimated 60 mph this past weekend, I was at a dead stop. No airbags deployed, hoping this is totaled, appears the frame is bent as all gaps around doors in both sides look off,  is this normal for airbags not to deploy?  Of course driver had no insurance, no license and non registered vehicle,    I will say, he is probably real sorry he hit me vs a Prius,  truck took one for the family.  We are all soar, but happy to be still standing.

1B05FBD9-B970-4ABE-9ECB-CFFC9ADAB1EC.jpeg

2 hours ago, jbshoo said:

Long story but a police chase caused a direct hit of the suspects car into the front drivers side at an estimated 60 mph this past weekend, I was at a dead stop. No airbags deployed, hoping this is totaled, appears the frame is bent as all gaps around doors in both sides look off,  is this normal for airbags not to deploy?  Of course driver had no insurance, no license and non registered vehicle,    I will say, he is probably real sorry he hit me vs a Prius,  truck took one for the family.  We are all soar, but happy to be still standing.

1B05FBD9-B970-4ABE-9ECB-CFFC9ADAB1EC.jpeg

Doesn’t look like he didn’t hit that hard, like it was at an angle. 

getting a full on tbone at 60mph by a prius would crumple that front end like it was paper