air bag failure

was just in a accident and airbag did not deploy. was hit from behind at a complete stop and the person slammed into me at 80 plus. then i was shoved into the car in front of me and smashed in my front. my fram is bent and axel broke and engine shot. should't my airbag deployed? i took it in for the recall on the airbag and ignition recall. now i have sever neck and back pain. Thank god i am here to talk about it 

thanks

Most importantly your not in the hospital right now.

Not necessarily I’ve been out of the auto industry for awhile now but I towed and wrenched for 8+ years. My understanding is at least at that time it took 2 sensors to deploy the frontal airbags. Also it depends on where you hit on the vehicle as to whether you take out a sensor or not lot a times you’ll hit low or high of it depending on how the vehicles line up.. I’ve seen air bags deployed in literally 5mph parking lot accidents and I towed a car once that rolled 7 plus times and not one bag went off there wasn’t one piece of glass left in it and not one foot of straight body panel on the thing.

Also if you’ve never been hit in the chest by a bag (and I’m guessing you haven’t) your not missing anything. My buddies a retired cop that took one to the chest (because that’s where you’ll usually get it from my understanding) and ended up in the hospital for the day and was black and blue for months afterwards. 

Once the truck makes it to the body shop for repairs (if it’s not a total loss) hit them up I’d have to believe with all the “tech” in these newer vehicles that it would throw a SRS code if the bag(s) should have blown but didn’t. 

Best of luck with the insurance companies and hopefully your physically ok in the long run.

80 plus?? And you are here talking about it.... If it were me I would be here praising GM and not be worried that the airbags didn't deploy. I came up on what looked like a minor accident a few years back. There was what looked like minor damage to the front of the car but the airbags did deploy. Both front seat passengers looked like they had ran face first into a brick wall and were transported to the hospital for facial injuries.

• Like 1

I understand what you went through.  I'm glad you are ok.  My 15 was rear-ended by a drunk late last year.  I was stopped at a stop sign and he hit me hard.  It was a 55 mph road and lady behind him said she saw no brake lights.  Truck was totalled but my daughter and I walked away.  No air bags deployed in my vehicle either.  But we were not pushed into another vehicle.  My driver's seat was bent backwards so far I couldn't reach the radio anymore.  Needless to say mine was totalled and I would assume yours will be as well, even if you have an 18 Denali.  Don't take the insurance companies first offer, they can and will do better if you fight with proper comps and book values.

Good luck and hopefully your aches and pains subside quickly.  These trucks really are amazing at how well they protect the passengers, at least in a hard but from the back, we can both attest to that.

Edited by Mike GMC

12 hours ago, emma jean said:

was just in a accident and airbag did not deploy. was hit from behind at a complete stop and the person slammed into me at 80 plus. then i was shoved into the car in front of me and smashed in my front. my fram is bent and axel broke and engine shot. should't my airbag deployed? i took it in for the recall on the airbag and ignition recall. now i have sever neck and back pain. Thank god i am here to talk about it 

thanks

Gotta see pictures of this one

17 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

Most importantly your not in the hospital right now.

Not necessarily I’ve been out of the auto industry for awhile now but I towed and wrenched for 8+ years. My understanding is at least at that time it took 2 sensors to deploy the frontal airbags. Also it depends on where you hit on the vehicle as to whether you take out a sensor or not lot a times you’ll hit low or high of it depending on how the vehicles line up.. I’ve seen air bags deployed in literally 5mph parking lot accidents and I towed a car once that rolled 7 plus times and not one bag went off there wasn’t one piece of glass left in it and not one foot of straight body panel on the thing.

Also if you’ve never been hit in the chest by a bag (and I’m guessing you haven’t) your not missing anything. My buddies a retired cop that took one to the chest (because that’s where you’ll usually get it from my understanding) and ended up in the hospital for the day and was black and blue for months afterwards. 

Once the truck makes it to the body shop for repairs (if it’s not a total loss) hit them up I’d have to believe with all the “tech” in these newer vehicles that it would throw a SRS code if the bag(s) should have blown but didn’t. 

Best of luck with the insurance companies and hopefully your physically ok in the long run.

I’ve had two airbags deployed on me.

once going 35mph in a yukon denali and a drunk in the passenger seat grabbed the wheel and ran it into a tree

once driving like an ass in a 400hp civic taking a turn to hard I hit a 4x4 post.

The civic airbag deployed with extremely little damage to vehicle. Not a lick of injury or pain.

Denali bag deployed also, not a lick of injury or pain.

To the OP, yes I’m pretty damn sure your airbag should have deployed. If it’s fast enough to **** your truck up it should have deployed.

At the same time, I doubt the front collision is the one that caused the neck pain.

Your choice to own a modern full size pickup just saved your life, thats for sure.

congrats on surviving

If u were at a complete stop and someone hit you doing 80 your truck would have damn near disintegrated. If the pic above is the actual truck then I’d suspect they hit you in the 20-30mph range

• Thanks 1