Anyone know part number for trailer camera that plugs into ports on rear bumper?

On 9/21/2019 at 5:52 PM, Josh2500HDAT4 said:

Thanks sdelam. Would this camera that you listed above also be the correct camera for inside the trailer to view contents as your traveling down the road?

Yes. It works in either plug on the truck bumper. (Interior view or rear view)

Haven't bothered setting up the cargo trailer yet for the transparent trailer view, seems filled with some bugs at the moment... maybe the "2020 cameras" will address the nuances...

Works great as a stand alone rear view camera to see behind whatever you are towing. Set it up behind the 30' trailer (26' boat on board) and really love being able to see traffic behind the tow. Much safer!! 

Hate that the camera is so expensive...hoping other trailer camera systems might be substituted, but haven't tried any alternatives yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, sdelam said:

The 2020 HD part number cameras are not released yet. The 2019 1500 cameras are available and do work but dont address optmal placement for the invisable trailer view. I put mine at the top center of the trailer and have had diffculties getting that view to hold its calibration. Someone posted that in order to use that view the rear camera must be closer to the the height of the tailgate camera + a few inches. 

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2019-sierra-1500-auxiliary-trailer-camera-vehicles-with-trailer-camera-package-uvi/84580657-p-92301886.html

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/trailering/2020-silverado-2500-auxiliary-trailer-camera-vehicles-with-trailer-camera-package-uvi/84518122-p-92305265.html

so these links are to the same camera correct? and you are saying that there is/will be a new camera for the 2020 Sierra? do you know who the camera manufacturer is?

Thank you!

27 minutes ago, hptulsa said:

so these links are to the same camera correct? and you are saying that there is/will be a new camera for the 2020 Sierra? do you know who the camera manufacturer is?

Thank you!

Bottom link is to the 2020. Not sure how different they will be from the top link which is for the 19 1/2 ton.

19 minutes ago, hptulsa said:

ok but they are the same part number so i guess it is the exact same camera ie, not a new camera 

Interesting, was pretty sure they were different part numbers before. Perhaps they updated everything to the new part number.

• 4 weeks later...

i purchased two of these cameras at $350 each from shopchevyparts.com . These are the OEM for 2019/20.  I used one this past weekend for a horse trailer and unbelievably they do not have nightvision...so at 5am they are useless unless i install some IR lights.  For $350 that is pathetic.  With daylight, is was fine.  I am going to try finding the same type of cable/connector and attach a nightvision camera which i know will be less than half the cost.  anyone have any experience using different cameras?

On 8/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, sdelam said:

I only used one trailer camera but all other cameras worked as normal when selected. Only issue i had was using the transparent trailer view. there is a calibration that requires you to drive in a straight line under 30mph. it says at least 60' but mine took nearly a mile. while towing i lost the calibration several times when stopping for fuel and could not get it back at highway speeds.

Hi Sdelam....

I just received what my dealer told me is the latest 2020 camera for the trailer. In the instructions, it clearly says that this camera does not need calibration. I have only drove about 6 miles so far after installing it, but when I try to activate the transparent trailer mode, the screen comes up with a error "calibration not complete" message. 

I see you mention a certain protocol for calibration. Where did you get that information? As of now, I cannot figure out the transparent mode. And worse yet, my camera clearly says, no calibration is needed. Seems with that stated, the unit should work in all modes right away.

Thanks,

Frank

9 minutes ago, In2racn said:

Hi Sdelam....

I just received what my dealer told me is the latest 2020 camera for the trailer. In the instructions, it clearly says that this camera does not need calibration. I have only drove about 6 miles so far after installing it, but when I try to activate the transparent trailer mode, the screen comes up with a error "calibration not complete" message. 

I see you mention a certain protocol for calibration. Where did you get that information? As of now, I cannot figure out the transparent mode. And worse yet, my camera clearly says, no calibration is needed. Seems with that stated, the unit should work in all modes right away.

Thanks,

Frank

You will need to edit the trailer and walk through the camera set up steps. Requires you drive in a straight line, under 30 mph for at least 60 feet.

There are proper placement and camera angle that need to be followed.  The camera needs to be in center of trailer and 4 inches higher than camera in tailgate when your trailer is attached.

The camera angle needs to be about 35 degrees.  So 0 degrees would be straight down, raise the camera 35 degrees from there.  You generally don't want to be seeing the end of trailer or bumper.

If you see any shadows in the rear trailer camera view, it will have trouble calibrating.  You may have go in different direction.  

I recommend exiting the trailer app when calibrating and open camera app and select transparent view.  There will be a yellow status bar on the bottom to show the calibration progress.  I have never seen them calibrate in 60 feet it usually quite a bit longer.  

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 7:12 AM, MTU Alum said:

There are proper placement and camera angle that need to be followed.  The camera needs to be in center of trailer and 4 inches higher than camera in tailgate when your trailer is attached.

The camera angle needs to be about 35 degrees.  So 0 degrees would be straight down, raise the camera 35 degrees from there.  You generally don't want to be seeing the end of trailer or bumper.

If you see any shadows in the rear trailer camera view, it will have trouble calibrating.  You may have go in different direction.  

I recommend exiting the trailer app when calibrating and open camera app and select transparent view.  There will be a yellow status bar on the bottom to show the calibration progress.  I have never seen them calibrate in 60 feet it usually quite a bit longer.  

#iworkforGM 

"The camera needs to be in center of trailer and 4 inches higher than camera in tailgate when your trailer is attached."

Strange??? This is an impossible mounting location on an enclosed trailer.  I have a 7' interior enclosed and the trailer is 100 inches ground to roof. I put the camera above the ramp on the back wall of the trailer, way more than 4 inches above the tailgate camera. 

We realize this location is not ideal for all trailers.  If you put it at the top the transparent view will not work.  The transparent view stiches together four camera views: tailgate, mirrors, and rear trailer cam.  If you don't put trailer cam just above the tailgate cam, that area of image will be distorted and fish eye looking.  There is a few inch flexibility window with the camera placement.  Any more than that, you will have calibration issues.

#iworkforGM 

2 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

We realize this location is not ideal for all trailers.  If you put it at the top the transparent view will not work.  The transparent view stiches together four camera views: tailgate, mirrors, and rear trailer cam.  If you don't put trailer cam just above the tailgate cam, that area of image will be distorted and fish eye looking.  There is a few inch flexibility window with the camera placement.  Any more than that, you will have calibration issues.

#iworkforGM 

Understood...is this info published? I didn't look at the manual yet.... (I know I should have) If this info is not in the manual, I think GM should point it out so owners are not chasing their tails trying to calibrate.

Thanks for the info!  

Edited by In2racn

• 3 weeks later...

I attempted to purchase this for my 2020 2500 HD Custom and Chevy Parts said it wouldn't work with my VIN?  Has anyone installed this on the 2020 2500 WT or Custom?  

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2020-silverado-2500-invisible-trailer-camera-auxiliary-trailer-camera-models-with-cwm-pdm-uvn/84580657-p-92305265.html

Thanks

On 11/4/2019 at 10:33 PM, In2racn said:

Understood...is this info published? I didn't look at the manual yet.... (I know I should have) If this info is not in the manual, I think GM should point it out so owners are not chasing their tails trying to calibrate.

Thanks for the info!  

I mounted mine at the top edge of my toy hauler and its is spotty at best on the calibration. Wish i would have known it would not work there before i screwed holes in my roof.