Anyone else have a 2019 4.3? Happy with it?

Hi All,

I'm (finally) picking up a 2019 Custom DC 4x4 with the 4.3. I test drove it all over kingdom come, and found the performance and drivability superb for what it is. Of course, I didn't load it down, but I'll seldom be loading it to its design capacity anyway.

It seems as though most everyone here has either a 5.3 or a 6.2. Not many reports from 4.3 owners, so I figure I'm a bit of an outlier, LOL. Thus, I was wondering who else has a 2019 with the 4.3, and whether you are satisfied with the performance, economy, and reliability of your trucks.

Based on my light use and the vehicle's excellent driving dynamics, I decided the v6 would suffice for my needs. I'll have to report back after a few weeks of ownership and real life use. Just wanted to hear the perspective of other owners who have been in theirs for a while.

Thx,

Dave

Edited by UncleDave

Not many V6's on the lots around here. 

My dealer has 157 of the 2019 trucks, only 7 of them are V6.

Kudos for being practical. What's your transmission/ gear ratio? Your new 19 will probably have similar acceleration to my 2015 6spd.

6 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

There's not much MPG difference between the 6 and 8, so I don't know why anyone would want less power, towing/hauling capacity by going with the V6.

Just my thoughts.

To each their own. Towing is low on my priority list. However, IMO your point about MPG is a valid one; when you think about it, the updated V8's with DFM should theoretically be able to beat the V6 unloaded, due to the ability to run on less than 4 cylinders. If they could DFM the V6 perhaps there would be a more significant difference.

5 hours ago, cpttimerestraint said:

I accidentally test drove the 2.7l 4 banger and it was nice to drive. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't buy it, but there are a few on the lots around here because they are cheaper

There were none available here, I would have been interested in checking them out if they were in the same price range as the V6 Custom.

6 hours ago, aseibel said:

Not many V6's on the lots around here. 

My dealer has 157 of the 2019 trucks, only 7 of them are V6.

Kudos for being practical. What's your transmission/ gear ratio? Your new 19 will probably have similar acceleration to my 2015 6spd.

I have 3.42 gears. I believe the V6 is only available with the 6-speed trans. Honestly, this thing felt as peppy as the 5.3 AFM 6-speed Sierra X31 I test drove the same day, not sure what gears that had. Nice truck but the ride was horrible.

• Like 1

I test drove a 5.3 v8 and a 4.3 v6 without knowing it was a 4.3 v6 and I couldn't tell the difference. Spoiler alert I got the 4.3 v6. This is my first truck ever, as well. I'm coming from a 1.6l 4 cylinder KIA Rio hahah ? So far, I'm in love with my truck! Can't ever go back to a car now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Semedar said:

I test drove a 5.3 v8 and a 4.3 v6 without knowing it was a 4.3 v6 and I couldn't tell the difference. Spoiler alert I got the 4.3 v6. This is my first truck ever, as well. I'm coming from a 1.6l 4 cylinder KIA Rio hahah ? So far, I'm in love with my truck! Can't ever go back to a car now.

Same here, but not my first truck. I've been car-only for the past 4 years, and not a week went by when I didn't miss having the truck, so I planned that once I sufficiently surpassed equity in the car I'd trade it in for another full-size pickup, and here I am. ?

20 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

There's not much MPG difference between the 6 and 8, so I don't know why anyone would want less power, towing/hauling capacity by going with the V6.

Just my thoughts.

Maybe to save $1395. for the upgrade. Couldn't even find a V6 or 2.7T to test ride in the area.....all had V8s.

I have the same powertrain in my '15 and have enjoyed this truck since new.    Your truck is a little lighter so, in theory at least.  will have a little better performance.  My truck is rated to pull a 7k lb. trailer and I regularly pull a travel trailer with a 7k lb. GVWR.  Never have I needed or even wished for more power.  I can quickly exceed all posted speed limits if I so desire!  I would not hesitate to purchase a new truck with this engine except for the lack of availability in my preferred trim levels.  However, I am finding trucks that I like with the 4cyl which is my new 1st choice!  As soon as Mrs. Donstar quits being so practical.....

So, I haven't run a full tank through it yet, only burned a quarter tank of fuel driving 153 miles after filling, just filled up again in preparation for a long trip and put in 6.1 gallons. That works out to 25mpg, hand calculated. That's driving real easy on state roads and coasting down all the hills. I doubt I could sustain even close to that on a highway going a constant 70mph. Truck still has only 247 miles on it, fuel economy should only get better, or so I'm told. But I'll wait until after the first full tank to see what it actually does.

There's no V4 indicator but if I try hard enough I can tell when AFM kicks in. Engine vibration changes just enough to be noticeable. It's very quiet.