New Truck Ordering Questions

I’ve been looking at getting a new Sierra for a few months now and apparently I’m going to have to order a truck to get what I want. Specifically to get a leather bench seat with some options and not having the 5.3L. I have been planning on getting the 6.2L but now am seriously considering the 3.0 Duramax. I have never ordered a vehicle though and have some questions before I go back to the dealership.

- Is the order sheet basically the same as the online build and price? So if you can’t configure it a certain way online you can’t get it? Specifically like certain packages such as the SLT Premium Package that includes bucket cooled seats, I won’t be able to get this package and have the cooled seats, but get it with the 40/20/40 bench???

- Should I get a better deal on a truck that I order rather than a truck off the lot since they won’t have to inventory it and have it sit on the lot?

- According to my dealer they lose some of their money when they get a vehicle off another dealer’s lot and were not offering as good of a deal on vehicles they had to swap with another dealer. So would it count as being off the dealers lot if they order it?

- Anything else I need to be aware of, recommendations, or tips to get the best deal when ordering?

I’ve been looking at getting a new Sierra for a few months now and apparently I’m going to have to order a truck to get what I want. Specifically to get a leather bench seat with some options and not having the 5.3L. I have been planning on getting the 6.2L but now am seriously considering the 3.0 Duramax. I have never ordered a vehicle though and have some questions before I go back to the dealership.

- Is the order sheet basically the same as the online build and price? So if you can’t configure it a certain way online you can’t get it? Specifically like certain packages such as the SLT Premium Package that includes bucket cooled seats, I won’t be able to get this package and have the cooled seats, but get it with the 40/20/40 bench???

Pretty much yea

- Should I get a better deal on a truck that I order rather than a truck off the lot since they won’t have to inventory it and have it sit on the lot?

Depends on current incentives and dealer. On my 19 I probably could have gotten a better deal off a truck on the lot but I wanted it the way I ordered it. Work out the pricing up front (minus incentives as these change monthly)

- According to my dealer they lose some of their money when they get a vehicle off another dealer’s lot and were not offering as good of a deal on vehicles they had to swap with another dealer. So would it count as being off the dealers lot if they order it?

No, they actually pay less in theory as they won’t have to pay as much in insurance costs for a vehicle that will sit on the lot.

- Anything else I need to be aware of, recommendations, or tips to get the best deal when ordering?

Make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. I have ordered my last three trucks (2000, 2010, 2019) I drove from Indy to Detroit this last time to get my truck I ordered through a dealer up there. No money down. And everything was up front. Felt good especially after buying a Camaro and then shipping it to me 18 months prior [emoji16]

Answers above

Ryan B.

Agree with Ryan above. Find a dealer and salesman you are comfortable with. Look at exterior color, interior colors (I prefer the “dark atmosphere”), chrome or not, wheels, etc.

Study the packages on line, build several trucks and print them out. Once you decide what you want sit down with salesman and order.

You can buy a 2019 now and save 20%. If you order a 2020 probably 10% off is the best you can expect until next spring.

I drive both and decided in the 5.3/8 speed. I spent the extra $2500 for the 6.3 on my AMP Steps and tool box.

I only wished 6 weeks for my 2011 and 2019 after I ordered them. The main reason I ordered is I wanted the standard bed with crew cab. These new crew cabs are so large I think the standard bed looks much more proportional.

Order what you want - you won’t regret it!

Good luck!

Agree with Ryan above. Find a dealer and salesman you are comfortable with. Look at exterior color, interior colors (I prefer the “dark atmosphere”), chrome or not, wheels, etc.

Study the packages on line, build several trucks and print them out. Once you decide what you want sit down with salesman and order.

You can buy a 2019 now and save 20%. If you order a 2020 probably 10% off is the best you can expect until next spring.

I drive both and decided in the 5.3/8 speed. I spent the extra $2500 for the 6.3 on my AMP Steps and tool box.

I only wished 6 weeks for my 2011 and 2019 after I ordered them. The main reason I ordered is I wanted the standard bed with crew cab. These new crew cabs are so large I think the standard bed looks much more proportional.

Order what you want - you won’t regret it!

Good luck!

Ya they do

12cab9ab0f46d02baedea8aebbe2ba8f.jpg

Ryan B.

Thanks for the info thus far. I’ve got a great dealer and salesman. I’ve bought several vehicles from them and they’ve been great and had much better pricing than anywhere else I can find. This is just the first time I’ve ordered one so I’m not familiar with the process and what to expect.