fuel mileage

3 hours ago, redwngr said:

Based on a recent Ontario to Colorado run, relative fuel costs depends on the area.

Perhaps due in part to the way they are taxed.

Lots of places there is no cost penalty for diesel -- and some places it might be cheaper than regular. 

'Here' the cost of both fluctuate and often diesel is cheaper than regular.

That's great! Around here, diesel prices are between mid-grade and premium gasoline. Usually a 30-50 cent per gallon hike over regular gas. Right now is as follows:

Regular $2.47

Midgrade $2.77

Premium $3.17

Diesel $2.89

Diesel gets taxed at a higher rate than gasoline for  both Federal and many States.  The justification is that heavy trucks use diesel and those heavy trucks do more road damage so diesel needs to be taxed more to compensate.   That would be ok if the money actually went to fixing roads and bridges and not to study why monkeys have feces fights at the zoo.

• Like 3

What makes it bad is that I use about 21,000 gallons of diesel a year commercially.   I pay roughly $12,600 in fuel taxes.  Tough to see it get spent on bicycle paths and whatever when the roads get worse all the time.

• Like 1

So, on my interstate trip with the speeds averaging about 75 overall, I averaged 16.3 mpg. Like always, if I dropped below 70, it would pick up about 1-1.5 mpg. Not too far off from my Duramax I had that was around 18.5 for the same trip.

• Like 1

i just got back from a quick camping trip towing my 8K lb 5th wheel up to Divide Colorado and back. averaged 12.5 mpg with the duramax 10 speed. quite impressed!

never had a diesel before. and i have to say this thing pulls like a pissed off gorilla!

going up 6-7% grades didn't break a sweat, and going back downhill never had to use the brakes, just turn the exhaust brake on and voila! holds speed right where i needed it.

can't wait till summer, plan to do a lot more camping!