Quiet Smooth Riding Tires

Eddie 70

I am in need of tires for my 2014 DC LT. It has the 20" wheels with Continental Crosscontact LX20 on it. The tires were fine the whole time. I rotated them every 10k miles. What is most important to me is a smooth quiet ride. It is 2wd drive will not be off road. About the heaviest load it will see will be a load of mulch. Otherwise it pulls a 4X8 lawnmower trailer.

The Continentals are fine. I would like to know I am not missing a chance at something better, like maybe a set of Michelin. But do you choose LTX MS or LTX AT? Right now there is about $100 difference from low to high on these tires at my dealer so that is a wash as far as I am concerned. Is there something better as far as quiet, smooth and long tread life.

I need 275/55/20.

The advantage TA is more made for the crossover/SUV size vehicle and I don't think you'd get the mileage out them. I wouldn't suggest them personally for a truck.

The LTX M/S should be quieter than the AT but maybe my ears are different than other.

I have the Firestone Destination LE2's on my truck, they are plenty quiet and ride nice.

• Like 1

Heard great things about the Continental Terrain Contact AT’s. They were high on my short list when I was looking for tires in 275/55/20. Supposed to be a real smooth, quiet tire with some decent tread for the weekend outings.

Running Bridgestone Dueller 684 II's. Quite, smooth and OEM. I have 100K on this set with over 6/32 left and wearing dead even. Rotate every 5K and balance every other rotation.  Anal about tire pressures. 35 psi. Absolutely no complaints.

That said just put a set of Continental Cross Contact LX20's on the wife's Terrain replacing the factory Michelin's. Personally I prefer the Continental over the Michelin. It's just a preference. 

• Like 1

Go to TireRack.com or DiscountTireDirect online and type in your tire size.  Even if you don't buy from them, it will show you what all is available, you can read reviews/ratings/rebates/warranties, and it's free to look.  Sounds like you'll want to stick with a Highway or SUV tire (their categories) and stay away from an AT (all terrain tire--which tend to be noisier and get worse fuel mileage).  And most local tire dealers will now price match the tire prices shown online.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Thanks 1

You would be fine to stick with the LX20's.  I have had them on my 2015 LT Crew for 50,000 miles now and have been very happy with the ride quality and traction.  They are standard on the Yukon Denali and Suburban LTZ because they are great highway tires.  If you aren't going off-road they are a great choice.

Continental usually runs a rebate on them.  Right now there is nothing on but if you can wait a few weeks the current rebates will expire and they will run something else.  Maybe you will get lucky and the next round of rebates will include the LX20's again.

With all that being said Continental just came out with a new highway tire, the TerrainContact H/T.  They are new so there aren't many reviews around but they are supposed to be excellent tires as well and according to Conti's own ratings are slightly better than the LX20's:

https://www.continentaltire.com/product/terraincontact-ht-27555-r-20-113t/?

Edited by sk
  • Like 1

I'm having the new CrossContact LX25's put on my son's Trax tomorrow to take advantage of a current rebate that expires in a few days actually. Just put a set of the Extreme Contact DWS06's on my wifes car a couple weeks back as well. Her alignment was off for a while so she wore one of the front tires out. Dang car has different size in front and rear so you cant rotated them properly either. Dang Lexus!!!!  ?

8 minutes ago, Cupton said:

Just put a set of the Extreme Contact DWS06's on my wifes car a couple weeks back as well. Her alignment was off for a while so she wore one of the front tires out. Dang car has different size in front and rear so you cant rotated them properly either. Dang Lexus!!!!  ?

How happy are you with the DWS06's even though you only had them a short time?  I'm thinking of putting them on my wife's car too (Caddy ATS, some trims come staggered but luckily her trim level didn't!)  We are near York so weather is not much different than western PA.

22 minutes ago, sk said:

How happy are you with the DWS06's even though you only had them a short time?  I'm thinking of putting them on my wife's car too (Caddy ATS, some trims come staggered but luckily her trim level didn't!)  We are near York so weather is not much different than western PA.

Well, I noticed a HUGE difference compared to the cruddy OEM Bridgestones that Lexus put on there just on the ride home. She mentioned that it drives like it should now. Thats not saying much since it was pulling to the left for a while since it was out of alignment and the tire was balding. Everything I read on them, and considering the weather we have here which is wet a good portion of the year, these seemed like a real good fit for her car. I have literally driven her car once since getting the tires on and that was driving it home from the tire shop. That car is just too damn low for me!  ? 

Sorry, I cant be of more help, but I did research on the best tires for our weather out here in Pittsburgh and these came highly rated and checked all the boxes.

Will do.  Thanks for the reply.

Her ATS came with Michelin run-flats and they are HORRIBLE.  I couldn't wait for them to wear down so we could get them off the car.  Ride quality and noise are terrible and she actually bent a wheel slightly out of round running over one of our wonderful PA potholes (the sidewalls are so stiff on the r-f's that they don't absorb any shock and it all went into the rim).

• Like 1