2018 2500HD Sunroof

First of all; I get it that it’s a big truck without good aerodynamics.

I find that the sunroof in my 2500HD is really noisy while open; like having a window down, at anything over 40mph or so. Is this the case for anyone else?

Not that it’s a fair comparison..., but my wife’s BMW is damn near silent at most speeds. Hers has a hard plastic air deflector, while mine has some sort of fabric mesh. 

The sunroof is not a big selling point for me personally, but I would drive with it open more often if it were worth a crap.

1 hour ago, jhplak325 said:

My 15 is the same way, the 2005 I had with factory sunroof was not noisy when opened. 

Thanks for your reply; good to know it’s not just me. The sunroof option isn’t a box I’d check if I were ordering a new truck (picked mine off a lot), but it would be nice to use it and still hear myself think.  I wonder if there’s a vent shade or something offered for our trucks.

Edit- I do see sunroof wind deflectors available, but only universal models. WeatherTech only makes them for 1500’s, for example. My guess is that it’s due to the clearance lights on HD models.

Edited by Icutmetl

You are not alone, sounds like wind blowing through a screen door.

My 08 was much more quiet, if I remember, the "mesh deflector" was a hard plastic piece that wind bounced off rather than passing through it.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if you have a power rear sliding glass or not but I find that if you even slightly crack the rear sliding glass while riding with the sunroof open, it great reduces the amount of noise and wind felt while driving.