Android auto vs Apple Carplay

New GMC owner here, and new to the forum. Coming from a Ram, I do love this truck!

Question regarding apple and android use. The first month of ownership I had a iphone, CarPlay was great. I could browse all my music by artist, genre, etc. Well since I was switching everything up in my life I decided hey why not get an android cell phone (always a iphone user).

I put about 50gb of music on my new phone then went out to test out AA. With the phone plugged in I cannot browse any music in android auto or the regular infotainment music app. I hit browse, it says nothing is available. With my iPhone it was loaded with every artist. I messed around and downloaded new music apps on the phone. I was able to get it to shuffle through my entire music library with VLC music player. If I hit shuffle on the infotainment music app it also does nothing and I'm stuck in whatever artist its playing.

I don't know if I'm missing something or doing something wrong since this phone is brand new to me. I'm hoping I just loaded the music wrong? (I dragged and dropped from my computer to the music folder in my phone).

Any help would be appreciated!

Have you tried the new Andriod auto? It's a big improvement. Also the new Apple car play in ios 13 is much better than the old version.

I have both an iPhone X and a Galaxy S10E and I like the iPhone/Apple car play better. 

Open the Android Auto app on your phone.

Tap the three line menu icon in the top left corner.

Tap Settings.

Tap Try the new Android Auto to toggle it on.

I have the s10e as well. You are able to see all your music? Can you access it from the infotainment music app while connected to bluetooth and browse?

The try new android auto is turned on. I've tried Google music but cant see my music and browse it. It plays just fine though. I'm hoping I'm just stupid on this one lol. But it is odd.