2015 silverado duramax diesel

We have a fume of some kind burning or eyes and noses. its more intense coming through the vents or if the weather is warmer. Possible DEF fluid leaking?? not sure how it would be coming through the vents? 

Def fluid smells like grease to me. I don’t think it would be burning your eyes. Turn the air recirculation on and see if you still get the fumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:01 PM, redwngr said:

Exhaust leak at joint downpipe.

Reading about the vent burning eye and nose issue . I have a 3500 GMC duramax diesel that has that issue . Dealer can’t replicate , GM doesn’t confirm and issue but have had it for 3-4 months now and not resolved. How can I tell the dealer to fix it , still under warranty. Or who at GM can I call ? Thanks rick park Louisville ky

All the time or just sometimes?

In any case there is likely soot (if an exhaust leak) or burned on fuel/(staining (if fuel leaking) at the location where the smoke/smell is coming from.  

In back of Owners Manual GM has a suggested process to follow if your not happy with the service advisor. 

(be pleasant, you'll likely have better results) 

The info includes how to contact GM if the other steps don't work. 

Document the steps you take at the dealer.

Names, dates, discussion points, etc.

After driving to farm it always has the acid vapor after starting the next day . Assume it’s the DEF fluid . Have noticed another comment on this site mentioned the same issue , burning eyes and nose . Asked the dealer rep about this site and sent a copy of that complaint from 2019 to him , his comment , anyone can post anything on that site , basically stating it unreliable. He also told me to have my truck professionally detailed before I bring it back because it was dirty ( dusty ) , it’s a farm truck ! How can u be civil when dealing with an idiot . Was hoping to find the fix here and tell the dealer what to do . My direct email is [email protected] if I have an answer . Thanks rick park