In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have a 2014 Silverado LT. 4x4. Double cab. 49,000 miles. I got new tires, one size taller and installed a 2 inch leveling kit. In town/highway combined im getting about 14.5 mpg. I used to get at least 17. Would the tires drop my mileage that much or the 2 inch level?

Both. Mine is 16. Used to be 18 before the bils and 305/55/20s

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I only went up from 265/65 18 to a 275/70 18. I didnt think it would make that much difference. Oh well. At least it looks better. Lol. Thanks

41 minutes ago, Wingnutt70 said:

I have a 2014 Silverado LT. 4x4. Double cab. 49,000 miles. I got new tires, one size taller and installed a 2 inch leveling kit. In town/highway combined im getting about 14.5 mpg. I used to get at least 17. Would the tires drop my mileage that much or the 2 inch level?

that is normal for a 4x4

if you want better mileage buy a Prius  

Edited by bg1988

LOSING  3 -4 mpg from a not so good 17mpg is normal? If you have a repair shop please let me know where so i never go there

It really is though. You have to think there are more moving parts that create more resistance. And its a big block of a truck sitting higher adding to the resistance

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

you increased the height and tire size 

that means you increased the "drag" on it 

if you want better MPG get a Prius .. or volt

17 to 14.5 = 2.5MPG  which sounds about right     3 or 4  is incorrect  math

Edited by bg1988
  • Like 1

Your speedometer is also off so calculations aren’t correct either. 

78ACA5DF-C71B-4612-BBDC-CAFBB226391A.png

Other factors are weight & rolling resistance of old vs new tires. Not all tires of the same size are created equal.

275 SRA 52# per corner

275 Duracrap 54# per corner

275 BFG 57.7# per corner

275 Michelin LTX 59# per corner

275 Cooper SST PRO 63# per corner

44 pounds don’t sound like much weight but that’s a lot of mass to get rolling from a stop.

Theres a reason most GM trucks come with SRA “all terrains“ it is to achieve unrealistic MPG numbers cause even the top brass at GM and Goodyear don’t really believe these pos tires are “all terrain”...

I have yet to find a person that hasnt driven at least slightly more aggressive after a lift or worse exhaust change.  On an unconscious level your desire for larger more aggressive veh (lifted veh and taller tires) will have an impact on driving style.  Add that with your increased drag and rolling resistance, your mpg loss is within 1-2 +\- mpg loss error of your assumption