2019 - New Wheels

Just bought a 2019 Silverado 2500HD that came with the boring 17" rims. I bought a set of 20's that came off of a 2018 2500, wheels and tires both. When i went to have them swapped out, the guy at the tire shop said the sensors in the 2018 wheels are different then what i have in my 2019 and that it would trigger warning lights and wouldn't program correctly. He said something about an "auto-refill" that was added to the 2019's. Something like that. Their fix was to tear apart both wheels and tires and swap the sensors, which was going to cost me, with labor, about a grand. Does this sound right to anyone? Or has anyone come across this before? Not sure what to do next

1 hour ago, Libtech29 said:

Just bought a 2019 Silverado 2500HD that came with the boring 17" rims. I bought a set of 20's that came off of a 2018 2500, wheels and tires both. When i went to have them swapped out, the guy at the tire shop said the sensors in the 2018 wheels are different then what i have in my 2019 and that it would trigger warning lights and wouldn't program correctly. He said something about an "auto-refill" that was added to the 2019's. Something like that. Their fix was to tear apart both wheels and tires and swap the sensors, which was going to cost me, with labor, about a grand. Does this sound right to anyone? Or has anyone come across this before? Not sure what to do next

The sensors aren't compatible 18 to 19, but that aside, theres no way that should cost much more than $100 or so.

$1000 is laughable. There is nothing besides labor, as a part of this job. Break down the tires x2, sensor removal x2, reseat the tires x2, and balance tires x2. Bit of a pain in the ass but any tire shop will do this for you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Libtech29 said:

A $1000 for dismounting 8 tires to swap sensors?  Find a new shop ASAP.

Take it to your local Chevy dealer and try having them learned.  2018 to 2019 HD its still the same sensor and should be the same frequency so they should work no problem. 

The new body trucks are the ones that changed frequency.  HD 2019 is still the 2015-2018 style.   

Edited by newdude

16 hours ago, Libtech29 said:

Talked to the dealer and they said they can’t reprogram them. Gonna have to swap them out. Better news is they said it’s only $150 to do it

Perhaps your truck is on the 433mhz frequency?  Most every 2015-2019 HD I've seen run the same 315mhz sensor.  Did they try a TPMS relearn?

Edited by newdude

58 minutes ago, newdude said:

Perhaps your truck is on the 433mhz frequency?  Most every 2015-2019 HD I've seen run the same 315mhz sensor.  Did they try a TPMS relearn?

I had to schedule an appointment for Monday afternoon. I will be asking more questions to them face-to-face and get a better explanation. I'll give an update after the appointment

• 2 weeks later...