CarPlay not consistently connecting

I have been an avid user of Android Auto since purchasing my 2018 Yukon but I recently switched to an iPhone 11.  CarPlay does not consistently connect like Android Auto did.  On a rare occasion, my wife would plug her iPhone 8 in and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  It never really concerned me because as the primary driver, my Android Auto worked 100% of the time.  Now, CarPlay connects only about 25% of the time (even though it charges via the USB cable 100% of the time).  I've tried the basic troubleshooting steps... I've removed all Bluetooth accessories, deleted all CarPlay devices, turned off Android Auto altogether, used several brand new cables, rebooted the phone, checked if any updates were available for Intellilink (I'm at v84201676), used a diff USB port in the truck, tried disabling WiFi, press the "Screen Projection" button, etc.  I don't think it's the phone because the behavior occurs with 3 different iOS devices, leading me to believe that it's probably something to do with the radio in the truck.  Anyone by chance got any recommendations?  I really prefer to use CarPlay.  

Edited by sharper
MyLink is Intellilink

Yeah - I've turned Apple CarPlay off in the settings with the phones attached or disconnected.  I've even wiped the list of devices in the list a couple times hoping to just re-run through setup.  

The devices are all up to date, now.  The iPhone 8 was iOS 12 but the new iPhone 11's came with iOS 13 which has been upgraded almost daily with small incremental updates.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:17 PM, scotth23 said:

I was having some issues when the same phone was setup as a bluetooth device. I removed it from the bluetooth devices and it has been more consistent. Still can take an extra moment or two at points.

I thought about that and I did delete it from the BT list.  I thought for sure that fixed it but sure enough the next drive was back to broken.  I just saw that I can use the "Shortcuts" to shut off bluetooth when certain things happen ... but it seems that the rule would work best if I could connect to CarPlay (because the rule could say "when connected to CarPlay, shut off Bluetooth).  

I have been certain that this must be a limitation of Intellisync but I might have just caught a major break with this.  Yesterday, my phone got iOS 13.1.3 and today, the CarPlay has worked on all 3 trips in the truck.  I've never had it work 3 times in a row, so maybe there was a problem with iOS 13 (every phone we tested against, new or old, has had iOS 13 on it).  Fingers crossed.

EDIT:  It's working 80% of the time now.  *much* better than before but not quite working 100% of the time either.

Edited by sharper

Having this very same issue.

Followed your steps; removed and re-added devices in bluetooth and carplay, I have received the update but still having the same issue. Every time I connect there is no issue with charging 100% of the time.

My previous phone iPhoneX (pre ios13) worked perfect without issues, new iPhone 11 pro (ios13+) cannot get it to connect consistently. So frustrating, I do believe this is an iOS problem though. 

My iPhone 11 Pro Max connects a little over half of the time. I had an iPhone XS Max that connected without any issues. The last two times I updated iOS 13, it worked great for a couple of days, then gradually got back to the point it was before.

When I connect my phone one of 4 things happens. (1) The CarPlay dashboard comes up instantly, (2) The CarPlay dashboard comes up after about 30 seconds, (3) the phone begins charging, but will not connect over CarPlay or Bluetooth, or (4) the phone's audio transfers to my car stereo, but without any CarPlay dashboard (instead, the audio shows up on Intellilink as an iPod).

Next time I'll try the tip about turning CarPlay off and back on in settings while the phone is connected. 

Completed some more testing. Reset iPhones network settings, confirmed all Bluetooth and CarPlay devices deleted from the truck. Reset Siri and reconfigured. Reset the phone and attempted new CarPlay connection.

worked a few times. Connected instantly the first couple tries. 3rd attempt charging came up but no CarPlay. 4th time music started playing through the phone and not through the stereo. 

something interesting popped up the next time, see attached. Ethernet option popped up in connections on the iPhone. 

it almost seems like the iPhone is Confused or not recognizing the device It’s connecting to is a CarPlay device. 

0C31075E-D9C0-44B8-8F24-9EFA805B264F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same exact issue in my 2017 Silverado and 2017 Tahoe. It worked fine on the new os on my iPhone 10S Max but not with the new iPhone 11 Pro Max. 

I also see the Ethernet option pop up in setting sometimes. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve tried all the resetting. This past week it seems to work better if I plug in my phone before starting the truck but not 100% of the time. 

My truck was in the shop about two weeks ago and my rental was a new Dodge truck. CarPlay worked perfectly 100% of the time. 

I really feel like it is something related to Chevy and the new iPhones. My wife is having the same issues. She called me yesterday saying she had no internet on her phone. I told her to check the settings and sure enough, Ethernet was listed so it was thinking it was connected to Ethernet but obviously no internet connection. 

I love CarPlay so this is getting VERY frustrating. Every time there’s a new iOS update I’m hoping it fixes the issue but it hasn’t yet. 

• 1 month later...

Just purchase a 2019 Tahoe yesterday and having these same issues with a new iPhone 11 and IOS 13.1.3. First of all, whenever I get in my car Bluetooth immediately grabs my phone and starts playing regardless of whether its plugged up or not. (Shouldn't it just recognize the device and not automatically connect to media and start playing? ) Even once I connected to USB I couldn't figure out how to switch it to CarPlay which now I know is because the car wasn't recognizing CarPlay. Today I deleted all Bluetooth (which I shouldn't have to do really) and I am having the same issues as everyone else here. Is this system really that messed up? CarPlay is a dealbreaker and if this Tahoe can't pull it off I may need to go ask for my Volvo back. Seriously, CarPlay has to work. 

Secondly, is this the best or most widely used forum for owners? Volvo owners have swedespeed which is much used and very valuable for finding answers to things you can't figure out. Hoping there is the same kind of community for Tahoe owners that I can go to with issues.

After updating my iPhone 11 to the latest update and using an “Apple” USB cable my connection problems seem to have been fixed.

If you’re not using an Apple cable, you may want to try one to see if that helps.