In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

sharper

CarPlay not consistently connecting

I have been an avid user of Android Auto since purchasing my 2018 Yukon but I recently switched to an iPhone 11.  CarPlay does not consistently connect like Android Auto did.  On a rare occasion, my wife would plug her iPhone 8 in and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  It never really concerned me because as the primary driver, my Android Auto worked 100% of the time.  Now, CarPlay connects only about 25% of the time (even though it charges via the USB cable 100% of the time).  I've tried the basic troubleshooting steps... I've removed all Bluetooth accessories, deleted all CarPlay devices, turned off Android Auto altogether, used several brand new cables, rebooted the phone, checked if any updates were available for Intellilink (I'm at v84201676), used a diff USB port in the truck, tried disabling WiFi, press the "Screen Projection" button, etc.  I don't think it's the phone because the behavior occurs with 3 different iOS devices, leading me to believe that it's probably something to do with the radio in the truck.  Anyone by chance got any recommendations?  I really prefer to use CarPlay.  

Edited by sharper
MyLink is Intellilink

Did  you try turning Apple Carplay off and on in Settings with the phone connected?  My Carplay would not connect this morning, and after trying numerous different alternatives, that one finally did the trick.

Yeah - I've turned Apple CarPlay off in the settings with the phones attached or disconnected.  I've even wiped the list of devices in the list a couple times hoping to just re-run through setup.  

The devices are all up to date, now.  The iPhone 8 was iOS 12 but the new iPhone 11's came with iOS 13 which has been upgraded almost daily with small incremental updates.  

I was having some issues when the same phone was setup as a bluetooth device. I removed it from the bluetooth devices and it has been more consistent. Still can take an extra moment or two at points.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:17 PM, scotth23 said:

I was having some issues when the same phone was setup as a bluetooth device. I removed it from the bluetooth devices and it has been more consistent. Still can take an extra moment or two at points.

I thought about that and I did delete it from the BT list.  I thought for sure that fixed it but sure enough the next drive was back to broken.  I just saw that I can use the "Shortcuts" to shut off bluetooth when certain things happen ... but it seems that the rule would work best if I could connect to CarPlay (because the rule could say "when connected to CarPlay, shut off Bluetooth).  

I have been certain that this must be a limitation of Intellisync but I might have just caught a major break with this.  Yesterday, my phone got iOS 13.1.3 and today, the CarPlay has worked on all 3 trips in the truck.  I've never had it work 3 times in a row, so maybe there was a problem with iOS 13 (every phone we tested against, new or old, has had iOS 13 on it).  Fingers crossed.

EDIT:  It's working 80% of the time now.  *much* better than before but not quite working 100% of the time either.

Edited by sharper