12-Volt, 8 Gauge Power Run to Bed?

I'd like to run a 12-volt line to the bed of my AT4.  What's the best way and path?  This is to connect my GoalZero Yeti or run my ARB fridge.

Should I just run a line directly from the battery? From the fuse block?

Could I just repurpose the power outlet already in the bed - where I use the existing wire, and tap it into a different source and change the plug adapter to an Anderson powerpole??  

I appreciate any guidance.

20 minutes ago, AT4CK! said:

I'd like to run a 12-volt line to the bed of my AT4.  What's the best way and path?  This is to connect my GoalZero Yeti or run my ARB fridge.

Could I just repurpose the power outlet already in the bed - where I use the existing wire, and tap it into a different source and change the plug adapter to an Anderson powerpole??  

Why not convert the existing 120v receptacle to 12v with a converter?  Doesn't the fridge come with a 120v adapter and cord?

9 hours ago, AT4CK! said:

I did it. 

I went from the battery to a circuit breaker, through the firewall grommet and under the rear seat to an auxiliary fuse box.  There I mounted an ARB compressor.  I ran another 8 ga from that fuse block terminal out under the rear door sill (unfortunately I had to drill a hole and use a grommet).  I ran the wire along the frame up into the passenger taillight area (took taillight out for easy access) and mounted my marine 12v outlet by the 120v outlet.  I grounded to the frame.  The Fridge mounts are hidden under the bed mat (not in the pic, but you get the idea), makes it nice and clean when not in use.  Takes about 3-4 minutes to remove or install.  

Here are some pics- hope it helps you...

wxIirm2.jpg

4oCJ86B.jpg

Qc6EOjE.jpg

YfSY799.jpg

Limelight: Awesome information and thanks for the pics!  I love the idea of an auxiliary fuse box, and your setup looks clean.  Nice job!  This is probably how I'll end up doing it.

Oldman: Thanks for the suggestion, but there are a few reasons:  First, the 120-volt plug is only on when the engine is on (and I'm looking for continuous power), next, the power provided by the trucks invertor is probably a step sin-wave (which I understand is not ideal for electronics) and finally the fridge is optimized for 12-volt (so I would lose efficiency by leverage two invertors to power it).

• Like 3