Could use some help/feedback

7 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Did some more testing today and I am pretty sure now that it's speed sensitive.

At anything over 60 I start feeling vibrations. Today I sped up on an empty highway to 85mph and not only did I feel the truck vibrate, I could hear the entire cab vibrate! It sounded like it was falling apart.

I don't think it's the driveshaft as it just got balanced, or the pinion angles since they checked that also.

I am thinking maybe bad rim, or really bad balancing job, but don't vibrations from improperly balanced tires go away after a certain speed?

I regret going to E rated tires. I think this made things worse.

I spoke to my dealership's service manager and they agreed to take a look and balance the tires for free. I will be dropping her off tomorrow after work.

ask them to try a set of stock p-rated tires. for comparison, and troubleshooting purposes.

On 10/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Have not really payed attention to that. I am on a full tank right now and this morning it was pretty bumpy, but not as bad as it's been before.

Also, does anyone know, when tires are balanced, are the stick on weights OK to be stuck in the middle of the rim? I usually see them stuck on the edges not the center. Mine are currently on the center.

From working at America's tire for over 7 years, the short answer is yes the weights at the center of the barrel is fine. The long answer is NO, if you are having these problems and they are static balancing it wont help you.

Have them take off smart weight and do a dynamic balance on all four. It will take longer(for sure longer if you have over sized tires/rims). but this will give you a way better balance. Also if they would do it for free have them do a dynamic road force balance, at least to my knowledge, this is the best balance you can get right now from any tire shop that has good equipment.  

I had a speed related issue on my car last year; it was fine at lower speeds and would vibrate like crazy at freeway/ highway speeds. The problem turned out to be that the shop had not tightened the lug nuts in a cross pattern when they reinstalled the tires. I took each tire off and put it back on correctly and the issue went away. 

Update. Dealership has done a few road force balances. The service manager drove the truck and was not happy with the results. Said he can still feel hopping/vibration issues.

Had the tech put on a pico scope, and determined it's coming from the tires, so there's definitely something wrong there.

Said they are having a tech come down to re-calibrate their balancing machine because it may be off. 

Will get more information tomorrow. 

At least I know i'm not going crazy and it wasn't just me. There was definitely something wrong. 

Today I had the chance to switch rims and tires with my buddy. He has an RST with 18" wheels and P-rated street tires. 

Test drove the truck and it ran smooth as glass. Test drove his and it felt like the wheel was going to fall off, that's how bad it was vibrating.

Good news is nothing is wrong with my truck.

Bad news is, trying to figure out if it's the tires or one or more of my rims that's bad.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 9:29 PM, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Today I had the chance to switch rims and tires with my buddy. He has an RST with 18" wheels and P-rated street tires. 

Test drove the truck and it ran smooth as glass. Test drove his and it felt like the wheel was going to fall off, that's how bad it was vibrating.

Good news is nothing is wrong with my truck.

Bad news is, trying to figure out if it's the tires or one or more of my rims that's bad.

That's good man. I think a lot of people will have this issue, so it's great troubleshooting and im glad to hear you're closer to a fix.

8 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

That's good man. I think a lot of people will have this issue, so it's great troubleshooting and im glad to hear you're closer to a fix.

I bought some new tires yesterday and the ride has drastically improved. 

However I am still getting some seat vibrations. I wonder if this is normal?

It is an E rated All Terrain (Only options were P or E). It's a very mild A/T tire though.

Do you have some seat vibrations on yours?

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss

I bought some new tires yesterday and the ride has drastically improved. 

However I am still getting some seat vibrations. I wonder if this is normal?

It is an E rated All Terrain. It's a very mild A/T tire though.

Do you have some seat vibrations on yours?

You shouldn’t have any vibrations to be honest. Saw your other thread and that’s about where an out of balance tire shows up. I’d drive on them for a couple hundred miles and take them back and have them road forced. I had a set of tires that mounted up the first time perfectly and changed in that few hundred and they rebalanced them and good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

You shouldn’t have any vibrations to be honest. Saw your other thread and that’s about where an out of balance tire shows up. I’d drive on them for a couple hundred miles and take them back and have them road forced. I had a set of tires that mounted up the first time perfectly and changed in that few hundred and they rebalanced them and good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'll do that. I actually have a long trip coming up where I will probably easily put 600 miles on them.

Even with my Duratracs I had some vibrations. It would come and go.

Don't know what else to do at this point, but I think I will keep these and sell the Wildpeaks. Not only do they ride nicer, but they're actually 13 pounds lighter per tire than the Wildpeaks.

3 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Thank you. I'll do that. I actually have a long trip coming up where I will probably easily put 600 miles on them.

Even with my Duratracs I had some vibrations. It would come and go.

Don't know what else to do at this point, but I think I will keep these and sell the Wildpeaks. Not only do they ride nicer, but they're actually 13 pounds lighter per tire than the Wildpeaks.

What'd you go with for a tire, afterwards?

I do have some seat vibration but it is so minimal I try not to acknowledge it or let it bother me. I chop it up as part of the truck.

13 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

What'd you go with for a tire, afterwards?

I do have some seat vibration but it is so minimal I try not to acknowledge it or let it bother me. I chop it up as part of the truck.

So I had the stock Duratracs and had vibrations but not too bad.

Because of the vibration and noise I decided to try Falken Wildpeaks AT3W. Took ton of weight to balance and after multiple balances, had some crazy vibrations with them.

Then tried the Firestone Destinations AT2 but those were not much better. Firestone balanced them twice and I still had some pretty bad vibes. I honestly chalk that up to bad balancing jobs though.

I'm on my 4th set now, and I went to another Firestone location. I got E rated Bridgestone Revo 3. They are actually the same weight as the stock duratracs that were C rated.

So far these have been the softest riding, however I still have some constant seat vibes at anything over 65-70 mph. It's not bad but its there. 

Not sure if at this point, it's normal or not. I saw the guy balance all 4 and they all took very little weight to balance. All four were road force balanced. 

I was town between P rated or E rated. Those are the only two options for these tires. I went with E rated since I do some occasional off roading and wanted more puncture protection. 

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss