Could use some help/feedback

Hello all.

I will try and keep this short and sweet.

I have had my Trail Boss since July. I have been having drivers seat, center console, and some steering wheel vibrations off and on since purchasing the truck. 

The only mod I have done to my truck is remove the 2" leaf block.

So here's what I have done to try and diagnose the problem.

- multiple road force balances of stock Duratrac tires

- purchased a set of new Falken WildPeaks E load tires (stock size)

- Tried some Firestone Destination AT2 P rated tires (stock size) (still had vibration)

- Went back to the wildpeaks

- Took truck to driveline shop. Balanced driveshaft, checked angles since I removed rear block. Shop said angles are good, shaft did need some weights

- Have tried PSI changes from 32 - 50.

So far I still have a pretty consistent vibration on my drivers seat, center console, and steering wheel. It almost reminds me of the chevy shake I had in my 2016. Sometimes I can see my water bottle in my center console going crazy.

Again I did have these issues when truck was fully stock, now its just more constant.

Only thing I could think of is maybe the shitty rancho shocks?

Thanks for any feedback.

17 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Hello all.

I will try and keep this short and sweet.

I have had my Trail Boss since July. I have been having drivers seat, center console, and some steering wheel vibrations off and on since purchasing the truck. 

The only mod I have done to my truck is remove the 2" leaf block.

So here's what I have done to try and diagnose the problem.

- multiple road force balances of stock Duratrac tires

- purchased a set of new Falken WildPeaks E load tires (stock size)

- Tried some Firestone Destination AT2 P rated tires (stock size) (still had vibration)

- Went back to the wildpeaks

- Took truck to driveline shop. Balanced driveshaft, checked angles since I removed rear block. Shop said angles are good, shaft did need some weights

- Have tried PSI changes from 32 - 50.

So far I still have a pretty consistent vibration on my drivers seat, center console, and steering wheel. It almost reminds me of the chevy shake I had in my 2016. Sometimes I can see my water bottle in my center console going crazy.

Again I did have these issues when truck was fully stock, now its just more constant.

Thanks for any feedback.

Is it all of the time, or on a slight acceleration?

1 hour ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Trail boss ranchos are not the same as the normal Z71 ranchos.  I have no vibration in my trailboss, but I have 20s so I do not have the duratracs.

56 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

are you sure its not the road. I get a slight seat shake at about 60ish on certain roads.

I would put the blocks back in and have the dealer take care of it. 

Yup. Weird thing is that sometimes I could be on the same road, same stretch of the highway I was on a day before and not have vibration. I always make sure to test on good roads.

I have a very subtle shake/shudder. I haven't eliminated specific stretches of roads. But I feel a lot more of the road than I should. A 65 series sidewall tire with relatively low pressure, in a half tonne truck, should ride like a car.

I haven't fixated on it because I doubt it's even fixable. I do find it interesting that we're both experiencing it in a custom w/ 6spd.

As much as I'd like to blame the crappy ranchos. I don't think that's them. Even though it feels like a cyclical issue, I would tend to think the spring vs the strut (especially steady speeds/flat roads).

Only thing I can suggest that you haven't tried, is a totally different wheel/tire combo. If a buddy has a set to swap and try. And my second thought was to add some weight and see how it performs.

18 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

I have a very subtle shake/shudder. I haven't eliminated specific stretches of roads. But I feel a lot more of the road than I should. A 65 series sidewall tire with relatively low pressure, in a half tonne truck, should ride like a car.

I haven't fixated on it because I doubt it's even fixable. I do find it interesting that we're both experiencing it in a custom w/ 6spd.

As much as I'd like to blame the crappy ranchos. I don't think that's them. Even though it feels like a cyclical issue, I would tend to think the spring vs the strut (especially steady speeds/flat roads).

Only thing I can suggest that you haven't tried, is a totally different wheel/tire combo. If a buddy has a set to swap and try. And my second thought was to add some weight and see how it performs.

Yup that's what I was thinking also.

My buddy has a 19 RST with stock wheels/tires and I want to try his.

It's weird because sometimes it rides smooth, and sometimes I feel like my teeth are going to fall off and that's on the same highway.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss

3 hours ago, blckblt said:

As mentioned try another set of wheels/tires (especially the wheels as you have 3 set of different tires).

When it does it worse are you low on fuel (less weight) on the drivers side of the truck?

Have not really payed attention to that. I am on a full tank right now and this morning it was pretty bumpy, but not as bad as it's been before.

Also, does anyone know, when tires are balanced, are the stick on weights OK to be stuck in the middle of the rim? I usually see them stuck on the edges not the center. Mine are currently on the center.

14 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Have not really payed attention to that. I am on a full tank right now and this morning it was pretty bumpy, but not as bad as it's been before.

Also, does anyone know, when tires are balanced, are the stick on weights OK to be stuck in the middle of the rim? I usually see them stuck on the edges not the center. Mine are currently on the center.

My 2016 Ram Rebel has the stick on weights in the middle of the wheel.  My local tire shop said that having the weights there can be more difficult to balance the tires.  Last year when they mounted new tires for me it took them 2 tries to get it right.  This year they got it on the first try.

They stick them on the center so as to not corrode the outside/visible part of the rim and it looks better.  They have been known to fall off....

Did some more testing today and I am pretty sure now that it's speed sensitive.

At anything over 60 I start feeling vibrations. Today I sped up on an empty highway to 85mph and not only did I feel the truck vibrate, I could hear the entire cab vibrate! It sounded like it was falling apart.

I don't think it's the driveshaft as it just got balanced, or the pinion angles since they checked that also.

I am thinking maybe bad rim, or really bad balancing job, but don't vibrations from improperly balanced tires go away after a certain speed?

I regret going to E rated tires. I think this made things worse.

I spoke to my dealership's service manager and they agreed to take a look and balance the tires for free. I will be dropping her off tomorrow after work.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss