91 4 wheel drive issue

I recently changed the ball joints and steering components on my 91 4wd.  I did not removed the cv axle from the main axle (6 bolts each side), and when I removed the steering knuckles on each side, the axles slipped out of the differential about 1". the driver's side axle slipped right back in, but the passenger side gave me fits trying to get it back in.  it finally slipped back in after messing with it for an hour.  but now i'm noticing that the 4wd won't engage. the 4wd actuator works fine. (it's fairly new and I took it out and tested it) the light inside on the floor is not coming on, and you can tell that the front end is not engaging at all. (turning on gravel is the same as if in 2wd).

could I have messed up something when the axle slipped out?   it went back in easily once I found the "sweet spot" to slip it back in, but i'm afraid maybe something inside isn't lined up properly.  there's no noise from the front end.

Yes. There is power at the actuator. I checked for power at the actuator, then took the actuator out of the axle, plugged it back in (left it hanging below the truck)and engaged the transfer case with the key on. I could see the actuator pushing It’s arm out like it’s supposed to. Put the actuator back in the axle and tried it again but still no engagement.