I have a 6.0 2500. Does great but gas mileage around town and towing could be better. I found a 17 6.6 high country 3500 for 45k with 37k miles. What mpg can i expect unloaded city n hwy. And towing 10klb travel trailer. By trading in my truck and my car i can lower my monthly payment a good amount.

What issues should i be concerned with?

Thx

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It is relative.  The better mpg of  a diesel is just feel good and nothing really of substance.

My 2015 2500 6.0, I primarily use E85.  Overall mpg with the stuff has been around 11.  Not stellar, but not bad.  That equates to about 17 cents a mile fuel cost at the current $1.88 for E85.  

A Dmax 2500 could probably average 18 mpg overall, but with the current cost of diesel at $3.03 in my area, that is just break even on cost per mile for fuel.  Same cost per mile as my 6.0 using E85 and getting lower mpg.  So, at least in my area with my local fuel costs, there is no appreciable advantage to go with diesel.  Each person has to make up their own mind.

• Like 1

Follow what others are getting with their diesels doing similar as you are and compare their MPG with local diesel fuel cost and see what the cost per mile would be.  Compare that to the cost per mile for fuel you are getting now.  Then you can see if making the move would be worth it.  

From various postings I have seen, many seem to get around 20 mpg average for empty stuff and around 14 for towing stuff.  That puts things right at around maybe 18 overall mpg.  For the fuel costs in my area, that is just break even with the cost per mile I have with E85.  

When you focus on cost per mile, the mpg thing will not be so disappointing.  Think like a bean counting business owner when it comes to these things and run the numbers to see how you really are being affected one way or the other.  There is more overall cost to using a diesel, and if fuel cost per mile is similar, using diesel can be a negative.  If you have a real need for the power of a Dmax on a daily basis, then it can be justified.

Edited by Cowpie

16 hours ago, cmysstailights said:

I have a 6.0 2500. Does great but gas mileage around town and towing could be better. I found a 17 6.6 high country 3500 for 45k with 37k miles. What mpg can i expect unloaded city n hwy. And towing 10klb travel trailer. By trading in my truck and my car i can lower my monthly payment a good amount.

What issues should i be concerned with?

Thx

How often do you drive the truck aka miles/year?  How often do you tow the trailer?

I drive about 15k miles a year. Tow my cargo trailer just about every week. My travel trailer which is 10k lbs loaded and 39ft long 6 times a year 200 miles 1 way. I know at some point im gonna go to a 5th wheel. Just not sure when. The price of the 3500 peaked my curiosity.

Follow what others are getting with their diesels doing similar as you are and compare their MPG with local diesel fuel cost and see what the cost per mile would be.  Compare that to the cost per mile for fuel you are getting now.  Then you can see if making the move would be worth it.  

From various postings I have seen, many seem to get around 20 mpg average for empty stuff and around 14 for towing stuff.  That puts things right at around maybe 18 overall mpg.  For the fuel costs in my area, that is just break even with the cost per mile I have with E85.  

When you focus on cost per mile, the mpg thing will not be so disappointing.  Think like a bean counting business owner when it comes to these things and run the numbers to see how you really are being affected one way or the other.  There is more overall cost to using a diesel, and if fuel cost per mile is similar, using diesel can be a negative.  If you have a real need for the power of a Dmax on a daily basis, then it can be justified.
Diesel by me is 2.89 a gallon, e85 is 1.79. It was nice when e85 was 1.37 but its been bouncing back and forth from 1.79 to 1.95. I might upgrade rv and its gonna be a 5th wheel. The price on the 1 i am looking at and low mileage peaked my interest.

I use e85 now, 1.79. Issue is my around town with my 6k lb cargo trailer is 7 mpg, even nothing in tow around town i am seeing 8 cause of traffic

Jesus ....I only wish I could fill up for $1.79. Lol. My debit card shuts off at $100.....which might get 3/4 tank [emoji17]

1 hour ago, cmysstailights said:

I drive about 15k miles a year. Tow my cargo trailer just about every week. My travel trailer which is 10k lbs loaded and 39ft long 6 times a year 200 miles 1 way. I know at some point im gonna go to a 5th wheel. Just not sure when. The price of the 3500 peaked my curiosity.

I see why you are thinking diesel.  I think it would be a good move especially since you are thinking of a 5th wheel travel trailer in the future.  3500hd would get you the higher payload over the 2500hd, the diesel will get you the pulling power but also 17-20mpg driving empty, but that can also still depend on your driving habits.  If your work commute is most/all highway, you will see closer or more than 20mpg.   

The big thing I can say on any newer diesels is if it regens, drive through the whole thing.  Don't shut it off once it starts one if possible.  This ensures a proper burn off of the DPF and will prevent/reduce any soot loading that could over time clog the DPF. 

Edited by newdude

I see why you are thinking diesel.  I think it would be a good move especially since you are thinking of a 5th wheel travel trailer in the future.  3500hd would get you the higher payload over the 2500hd, the diesel will get you the pulling power but also 17-20mpg driving empty, but that can also still depend on your driving habits.  If your work commute is most/all highway, you will see closer or more than 20mpg.   

The big thing I can say on any newer diesels is if it regens, drive through the whole thing.  Don't shut it off once it starts one if possible.  This ensures a proper burn off of the DPF and will prevent/reduce any soot loading that could over time clog the DPF. 
85% of my driving is street. Highway depends on where i am working that day. Any issues i should be aware of and look for

1 hour ago, cmysstailights said:

85% of my driving is street. Highway depends on where i am working that day. Any issues i should be aware of and look for

Short trip/city driving will load the DPF faster, so you will see more frequent regens than if you did more highway driving.  More frequent regens = lower average MPG.  Would still run higher than gas, but probably land you in the 13-16mpg average range. 

L5P so far seems to be better than LML.  LML had fuel injection pump issues/failures, head gasket failures and rear oil leaks.  L5P the only common thing we've seen yet is low coolant lights.  Its usually on new deliveries/trucks with less than 10,000 miles on them.  GM's process filling the coolant doesn't purge all the air out.  As you drive it, the air works out and in return, the coolant level will drop.  A simple top off solves 99% of them.  Some may have coolant leaks on the EGR plumbing, also some may have some oil leak spots.  There is a couple bulletins for those leaks.    

Edited by newdude