low engine temperature?

only had the truck 4 days

today was especially cold, about 25 degrees. i noticed that my engine only gets to about 180 degrees (about 10 oclock on the gauge) my previous 1500 denali always was showing dead center at 12 oclock which i believe was exactly 210 degrees.

is this normal?

i know the thermostat most likely is 180 degrees.

maybe the diesel engines run cooler?

just curious

Diesels typically run cooler than gas.  If you were loaded with a big trailer and it were working you might see it get closer/hit 200-210.  Not quite an HD, but my Colorado Diesel ran at 177-180 degrees year round.   

I took a 2020 duramax on a test drive... it was around 70 degrees out.  I noticed that it ran cooler than my 2018 duramax.  So yes, I'm guessing it has a cooler t-stat to go along with the bigger radiator and fan.  Just a guess.

Actually, what is happening is the 2020 gauge is reading accurately.

previous generation trucks the software made the gauge read 210 or whatever it was, untill it actually started to get too hot.

my '17 and '18 always read 210ish, but if you monitored with a real gauge it was cooler.

Just completed a 1350mi trip towing 17k 5th wheel with the AT4, coolant temp never went above 196, and my IDash matched the factory gauge.

• Like 1

Actually, what is happening is the 2020 gauge is reading accurately.
previous generation trucks the software made the gauge read 210 or whatever it was, untill it actually started to get too hot.
my '17 and '18 always read 210ish, but if you monitored with a real gauge it was cooler.
Just completed a 1350mi trip towing 17k 5th wheel with the AT4, coolant temp never went above 196, and my IDash matched the factory gauge.

I’ve been thinking about getting the idash, but not available for 2020, so did you already have from a previous truck? Should I just order for a 2019? The don’t have the derringer either has anyone tried it anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, bass mechanic said:

I’ve been thinking about getting the idash, but not available for 2020, so did you already have from a previous truck? Should I just order for a 2019? The don’t have the derringer either has anyone tried it anyway?

I run an idash on a 2020. Works great. 

49 minutes ago, bass mechanic said:

The IDash just needs new firmware, it is available now. Very easy to install

Derringer is not ready yet.

I am a beta tester for Banks, the gauge will work without the update, but the gear indicator looses its mind after 7th.

i'm betting the Derringer will be available by jan-feb

2 hours ago, powerhaulic said:

The IDash just needs new firmware, it is available now. Very easy to install

Derringer is not ready yet.

I am a beta tester for Banks, the gauge will work without the update, but the gear indicator looses its mind after 7th.

i'm betting the Derringer will be available by jan-feb

so should i get the idash now? re gear indicator, so i assume if you don't try to display that it works fine otherwise?

i would like to see a boost gauge. i have an ultra gauge ver 1.2  it seems to only display some 44 of 66 parameters on this truck and it doesn't seem to display more than about 9psi of boost and i read the 5lp supposed to make over 20 psi

15 hours ago, bass mechanic said:

so should i get the idash now? re gear indicator, so i assume if you don't try to display that it works fine otherwise?

i would like to see a boost gauge. i have an ultra gauge ver 1.2  it seems to only display some 44 of 66 parameters on this truck and it doesn't seem to display more than about 9psi of boost and i read the 5lp supposed to make over 20 psi

They only make boost when it is needed. 

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that my temps were low as well. That had me worried if the cab heater would be sufficient. However, even with single digits today, a short warm up had things decently warm inside the truck. 

I noticed that my 2011 came with a grill cover to increase temps in the winter. Looks like the 2020 does not come with that, anyone think they need it? It would also need a hole for the front camera.

10 minutes ago, In2racn said:

I noticed that my temps were low as well. That had me worried if the cab heater would be sufficient. However, even with single digits today, a short warm up had things decently warm inside the truck. 

I noticed that my 2011 came with a grill cover to increase temps in the winter. Looks like the 2020 does not come with that, anyone think they need it? It would also need a hole for the front camera.

It's supposed to have one, according to the order guide.

For 2020:

BHP    Winter Grille Cover
 - Included and only available with (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine. 

Used to be they only included one if the truck was shipped to 'cold weather' states.

In 2018, the rpo wording was:

V10         Cover, 1-piece, covers radiator grille and front bumper openings for diesel engines in winter weather
1 - Requires (L5P) Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine and is required on orders with "Ship To" locations within the following states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Michigan, Colorado and New York.

and, afaik, all Canadian orders.

2 hours ago, In2racn said:

Mine came with a cover, guess i need to pull it out and see if it has a hole for the camera.