Should I replace brake pad clips when swapping pads and rotors??

Hey all, I've looked around online and haven't seen either way on this. I saw some companies that sell brake pad/rotor/repair info saying you should swap the clips when you swap the pads and rotors, others say just clean and reuse as long as there isn't any noticeable damage to it. I just got new pads and rotors and want to throw them on tonight but want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here, sure its a cheap enough part but it it's not needed then why spend the money? If it will prevent squeaks or something then I'll drop the cash, but end of the day I'm more interested in performance.

EBC slotted rotors and green stuff pads for anyone interested.

20191011_120646.thumb.jpg.1dbfc9e3070cf6b05d77e931162aa0a6.jpg

• Like 1

You want the calipers to slide easily on the clips (I'm assuming you are referring to the brake pad retaining clips), when installed on the caliper bracket.  If they don't, then the brake pads don't release properly, and the pads will wear prematurely and/or make some noise.  It doesn't take much dirt/rust on the clips to do this...

I would suggest replacing them, and then making sure the pads slide easily in the bracket (before installed everything on the truck), as rust/dirt on the bracket can also prevent them from sliding.

Personally, I replace the clips, as well as install new drag reduction clips, when I replace pads.  Course, the last couple sets of pads I bought for my truck, they included the retaining clips (still bought new drag reduction clips to go with them).