Rear Leaf Spring Removal...

First of all I am extremely grateful for this forum and have already have acquired a wealth of information and have learned so much about how I want to build out my ''19 1500 SLT. I love the truck and I came from a built out Toyota 4Runner that I totaled off-roading and really got a lot out of the offload capabilities of that vehicle. Blessed to be alive but that's a different story for a different day. I laughed when I saw that they put Rough country Struts and Shocks and am looking to upgrade the whole suspension ASAP. The BDS lifts look nice with the fox Coilovers (wish there was a was to get ICONS and open to other suggestions) and plan on going with a 6" but I am not a fan of leaf springs whatsoever. Is there any way without major fabrication to change those to rear coils without performing major surgery? Or would it wander too much with coil springs anyway?

Edited by superhighsierra

You would need a bunch of fab work. You cannot just replace the leafs with coils, the leaf springs keep the axle planted and keep it from moving side to side and frontwards and backwards, a coilover will not accomplish that by it self.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Yeah, let's just redesign a truck for your aesthetic desires.

Dude, no. There isn't a kit, it won't just "bolt on", FFS get real. This is an absurd question.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Easy there killer. Not that absurd of a question at all since they both essentially do relatively the same thing. Leaf springs are much stiffer since truck beds are made to be loaded and carry more weight but it creates a much harsher ride than a coil spring. Was just wondering if there was some kind of adaptive aftermarket kit, but now I know. LMAO, have a nice day. 

4 hours ago, JR09country said:

You would need a bunch of fab work. You cannot just replace the leafs with coils, the leaf springs keep the axle planted and keep it from moving side to side and frontwards and backwards, a coilover will not accomplish that by it self.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks man...

Edited by superhighsierra

5 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Yeah, let's just redesign a truck for your aesthetic desires.

Dude, no. There isn't a kit, it won't just "bolt on", FFS get real. This is an absurd question.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Uncalled for HeySkippyDog.

He asked a question.

Thats all.

:)

• Like 1

If you are good at fabing you could transplant the rear suspension from a Yukon or Tahoe or Suburban but for that much work you could also come up with a long travel 4 link.

Give it a while and I bet Kellerman or someone has an air bag and links setup. 

$$$$$$ though. 

Could always get Atlas or Deaver to make some long travel leafs. Lose some carrying capacity but sounds like that’s not your main concern. 

Edited by AJMBLAZER
  • Like 1