Disable multi pro tailgate with a hitch on?

19 minutes ago, In2racn said:

I have my B+W Multi-pro Tow and Stow installed. I have not towed with it yet. I have a light enclosed trailer tow this weekend.

The unit is seems to be very good. Now that I have it, I appreciate its value. I didn't realized it when I ordered the hitch, but it is well worth the money for my towing needs. I am constantly towing different trailers, different drops, ball sizes. Before this tow and stow, I had a bucket of hitches with different ball sizes and drops in the bed of the truck. Now, my adjustable tow and stow stays mounted for good. With the adjustable height tri-ball, I have most every towing requirement covered with a few pin pulls. 

Regarding tailgate contact -

I am 265 pounds, it does not touch the ball nor the hitch when I aggressively get on the lowered step-gate. I tend to adjust the the hitch ball fairly low, say a 4 or 5 inch drop. At that height, the step-gate clears with the ball in position to tow. However, the step-gate will hit the ball if you have the hitch ball positioned with very little drop. 

Now I need to find or make a tough hitch lock that will keep it from walking away. Watching YouTube videos of guys breaking hitch locks in less than 10 seconds is concerning.

the newBW for multi tailgate ?

50 minutes ago, sdelam said:

Can you take a measurement from center of receiver pin to center of ball when you get a chance. Also, is there a tow rating stamped on it? the website is low on details.

From B+W

14,500 lbs for the 2.5" receiver, 10,000 lbs for the 2".

I measured 9.125" from
center of receiver pin to center of ball.

22 minutes ago, In2racn said:

From B+W

14,500 lbs for the 2.5" receiver, 10,000 lbs for the 2".

I measured 9.125" from
center of receiver pin to center of ball.

Perfect, thank you. I ask about the distance because the original has 2 holes and the new one only has one. I have a trailer that is prone to hitting taillights if turned too sharply. 

Have any of you pulled a travel trailer with the B&W 2.5”? How’s trailer sway?

I use the equalizer weight distribution and sway control hitch. Made a huge difference in my 1500. Not sure how much of a difference it makes with my 2020 2500 Duramax. My trailer is nearly 35’ and 8500lbs... easy hauling for the truck so far. I have a 700 mile trip coming up where there is typically a fair amount of wind and a 12 mile stretch up a 6% grade. Will get a good test in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, Banks said:

A little background on our Tailgatefix that should hopefully be available by next week if not before. Our product is designed to override the switch and lock out the inner tailgate from being lowered if you have a hitch in the receiver. It’s designed to keep the inner gate from accidentally being lowered while there is something in the receiver. If you are looking for a product that lets you use the inner gate and step the only item I know of is a hitch that will drop down 6” or lower. That will only work on lifted trucks, it will not work on a standard truck as the hitch would drag the ground . 

You do know you are posting in the 2020 2500HD forum right? I had to buy a 10" drop hitch to level out my inline snowmobile trailer with my new truck! All stock components. I have to use a 8" drop hitch for my bass boat trailer.

IMG_20190919_192054s.thumb.jpg.29d2aa35823b2993c3f4bf203ba8b9cb.jpg

IMG_20190919_191210s.thumb.jpg.67d6d0b4d54e1f3c47df17e056a5a408.jpg

IMG_20190919_192013s.thumb.jpg.cd3dbf2e76df60db1cdd6ccf4a2827b3.jpg

I received my B&W multipro tow and stow today. It is a nice piece of kit. I can’t use it for my travel trailer, but as far as use for my boat or utility trailer, etc... this is perfect. It’s solid too. Very heavy. 2&5/16” ball is 14,500# and the 2” is 7500#. Tongue weight is 1450#. In the packaging it says you can use the step on the truck to its full 375# rating without making contact. There is plenty of room, I have no reason to doubt that at all. Also, it looks like if using the hitch on the lower settings there is no reason to need to stow it to prevent contact. On the higher end it will. Pricey, but totally worth it for these trucks.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

howdy all, 2020 sierra SLT here.

My personal concern is, not so much the tail opening when the hitch is on, it's the tailgate open while the trailer is hooked up. The tailgate is definitely getting messed up hitting the trailer built in jack. i called GMC and they said, that shouldn't be a problem and no on else has complained. i'm like, it should be a fairly simple software code because the truck knows when the trailers hooked up, so have it disconnect the tailgate. they said, if they get enough complaints the might look into it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just bought my 2020 with this tailgate and I wired in a waterproof toggle switch down by the receiver hitch that I can disable/enable the center part of the tailgate to unlock or not.