Home Internet Security Help

diyer2

Since we moved to a rural location I have been purcahsing more things online.

The shipping is cheaper than driving and a lot of items are avialeable online only.

I have had my credit card comprimissed 3 times in 3 months.

Norton provided with our internet service isn't doing the job.

Visa has been great at denying the fradulent charges.

They cancel my old card and send a new one overnight.

I know nothing about securing our home internet.

I have done some online research but would appreciate some help.

Any info would be great.

:)

Since we moved to a rural location I have been purcahsing more things online.
The shipping is cheaper than driving and a lot of items are avialeable online only.
I have had my credit card comprimissed 3 times in 3 months.
Norton provided with our internet service isn't doing the job.

Visa has been great at denying the fradulent charges.
They cancel my old card and send a new one overnight.

I know nothing about securing our home internet.
I have done some online research but would appreciate some help.
Any info would be great.

[emoji4]

Everything is pass word protected. I get a statement online every morning from my cards and bank as well as amazon if I order anything. How are they getting to you? Is your net pass word protected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally use one card for the cash back. Most my bills are direct pay, every thing else through one card and paid off monthly and online. Very little check writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run webroot secureanywhere for my computer. Since I work in IT the best protection starts at the one behind the keyboard for knowing if a site is legitimate and on where your card is being used at. I always check gas pumps and anywhere else I am using the card at to check for phishing devices on the readers before I stick my card anywhere near it. For online sites double check the web address and see if anything looks suspicious. When in doubt leave the site. I would go without the antivirus on my computer if it wasn't for me downloading torrents all the time so I use that to double check on my downloads to make sure they are clean and not about to kill my computer but if worst case scenario it does kill my computer I can always reinstall everything from my backups.

I personally never liked norton products. I was using trend micro antivirus in the past but have had a better result with webroot for catching things. The antivirus from your ISP is always shit so get rid of it and get something better. 

Just to ask, when visa canceled your card, did they issue you a brand new credit card number or was it the same number? I know some banks like the one where my Aunt goes through will cancel the card and issue a new one with the same credit card number, the only difference is the security code on the back which isn't that hard to guess that code if you already have the credit card. If Visa is sending out the same account number on your card ask them to make a brand new account number for the credit card. It might ding your credit report as a closed account and a new one being opened up but that's not a big hit and you will recover after a month or 2 on that.

Have you considered making a paypal account since most sites accept paypal and you can add your card onto that and pay through paypal which in turn takes the money from your card.

One last tip, double check your wifi. If your wifi password is something about you or anything you have change it immediately. One common method of attack is to get into your network and capture your traffic and weed through it to get the information that is important.

Glad to hear it has a new number each time that certainly helps a bit.

If your bank and credit cards have it, i'd recommend dual factor authentication where it sends you a text or a call before you can sign into the web portal to add security to your accounts.

Edited by kickass audio

First is your home network wireless (wireless router)? Is it password protected, meaning anyone who wishes to use it will have to log into it?  Change the password, making sure it is a secure one.

Does your ISP connect to you wireless or hardwired to your home? If wireless I would suggest you look into using a VPN, Virtual Private Network for your transactions. Several good ones out there, Norton offers a VPN service.

https://www.komando.com/tips/505434/how-to-set-up-your-own-personal-vpn

https://www.komando.com/?s=VPN

What sites are you visiting? I know of a few sites that have been hit lately, stealing information without you knowing it.

Gas pumps were mentioned. Readers are being installed inside the dispensers simply by unlocking the panel and installing a capture device. Nothing on the outside to be suspicious of

Edited by txab