Are the New Silverados better Quality?

I have a 2014 Silverado with 5.3 and 6 speed, 64,000 miles and I love it. But its the stinking transmission I hate. Now  today it started the Shuddering thing, just once or twice. I was planning on this being my last pickup before the retirement village move. Now thinking I should be looking for a new one.  I love my Chevy, but maybe another brand this time around…. after 40 years of GM!!

PS Has someone retro fitted like a older GM transmission to these?

Edited by wmgeorge64

A 2020 Silverado with the 5.3L and 10 speed automatic would be a great upgrade for you. It's a rock-solid powertrain, that will get excellent MPG. 

I have the updated 8 speed mated to the 5.3L, and I like it a lot. The first 4000 miles on my 8 speed was a little rough, but it's smoothed out a lot and shifts flawlessly now. 

From what many have said on this forum, the 10-speed is the king of GM transmissions right now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, wmgeorge64 said:

I have a 2014 Silverado with 5.3 and 6 speed, 64,000 miles and I love it. But its the stinking transmission I hate. Now  today it started the Shuddering thing, just once or twice. I was planning on this being my last pickup before the retirement village move. Now thinking I should be looking for a new one.  I love my Chevy, but maybe another brand this time around…. after 40 years of GM!!

PS Has someone retro fitted like a older GM transmission to these?

Well I can tell you that the 2018's haven't changed much with the 6 speed; they still suck and I too am starting to get a little shudder at certain highway speeds as the transmission doesn't know what to do...not sure if it's the converter or what. I pulled the pan off last week, changed the filter, cleaned the magnet - everything looked good (41,000 miles). Changed the fluid, bolted everything back up annnnnd….yeah it didn't help one bit.

I have 20,000 miles before this thing is out of warranty, I'll be keeping an eye on things. I do like the truck, I just have to decide if this is something that will become more of an annoyance or more of a PROBLEM. Because I don't want problems, I don't want to replace transmissions or torque converters every 60,000 miles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Man, cant tell you how happy I have been with my 2019!

I will however, concur with statement that a 2020 with that 10 speed would be a helluva nice upgrade for ya.

These new T1's are bigger, stronger, faster and, get better mpg.

Chevy spent a lot of time and money getting this truck out, and imo, they hit a grand slam....