2014 Sierra locked in 4x4 hi

So a few weeks back, while my 4x4 knob was set to “auto”, my truck locked into 4x4. After a while, I opened the hood and removed fuse #6, a 30 amp fuse that controls the 4x4 and Stabilitrac. That got it back into 2wd, but obviously I had no 4x4, and I got an error message whenever I started the truck. I also broke the fuse in the process of removing it. So a few weeks went by and I lived with it.

im going away (I live in CT, and am going to NH) next week, and may need my 4x4. So I bought a new fuse and figured maybe it would be ok. But nope; with the engine off and power on, as soon as I put the fuse in, I hear the transfer case lock in. Or at least I hear some kind of solenoid or something. I also hear it upon removing the fuse. Then when I get in, it’s in 4x4. I’ve tried putting the fuse in with the truck off, on, and with the knob in any possible position. But nothing gets it out of 4x4, save for removing the fuse.

I’ve read other posts that said the dealer should be able to reprogram it to fix it. Will they charge for that? And does anyone have experience with this and think that’s the issue? If I can fix it on my own I’d prefer to. Obviously I’d prefer not to pay the dealer for something like this too. It’s a 2014 Sierra, that I bought. CPO in 2017. It still has the drivetrain warranty, though I doubt this would be covered by that. But please, any info is appreciated!

Do they usually charge for that kind of thing? If they do it is what it is, i just want an idea before I bring it in. Also, it happened when it above 70 degrees and hasn’t gotten below 60 in months. And it happened while I was driving. I thought the cold-weather issue involved turning the truck off with it in Auto, while in cold temperatures.

i have the trucks repair history from the dealer from the first owner, so I’ll check tomorrow and see if it’s mentioned. It lists all the recalls, services and other stuff as far as I know.

I spoke to the service department at the dealer. He said $140 diagnostic fee, and if it was just a reprogramming, they’d ‘probably’ do it without charging more. Because I’m going away tomorrow, I wasn’t able to make an appointment for soon enough. So when I get back next weekend, I’ll make an appointment, take it in and see. For now, it’s in 2wd. If I need 4x4, I just have to pop the hood and put the fuse in.

Was talking to my brother in law. Same thing happened to him. He hates paying for diagnostics so he started checking stuff. For him it ended up being the dash selector knob. Replaced it and fixed his problem. The only thing we came up with is it kept sending a signal or something for it to want to be in 4x4, but who knows, but it fixed his problem. Might be something to check.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Bash74 said:

Was talking to my brother in law. Same thing happened to him. He hates paying for diagnostics so he started checking stuff. For him it ended up being the dash selector knob. Replaced it and fixed his problem. The only thing we came up with is it kept sending a signal or something for it to want to be in 4x4, but who knows, but it fixed his problem. Might be something to check.

Just the knob or the whole switch? Easy to do? 

5 hours ago, Bash74 said:

He said it wasnt that hard. Part was gm# 84254255.

c54a676e1634c152d06bc9b918a5731f.jpg

I pulled the fuse, took it for a drive and it’s in 2wd drive now. When I got home I put the fuse back in and now it shifts in and out of 4wd as it should. Not sure what happened but it’s working. 

I would still contact a local dealer with your VIN to see if all of the software updates have been done for the transfer case.

When I bought my 14, there had already been a few done, and it was a brand new truck with 5 miles on it.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, David and Diane Clarke said:

Thanks for all the help. I asked the dealer when I made the appointment to have it checked out and the service advisor said there were no recalls. Is that the same as an update or I’ve heard Of a Field Action? 

They were not recalls, most were TSB's/Campains and they should be able to find them.

Frustrating, if you do not use the correct verbiage, they will do nothing to help you.

• 5 weeks later...