5.3 to 6.0

Hey everyone. Really new to all this so bare with me. I have a 2011 sierra with the 5.3 afm. It crapped out. Can I replace it with a 6 liter from a 2011 Silverado without issues? What would be different. All answers are appreciated

The 2011 is a 2500 and if so the motor will be the L96.  Should basically bolt right up, get the computer if you can and have it programmed to your VIN/Vehicle or have a tuner upload the L96 tune over the LMG/LC9.  Fuel pump may be different, take the VIN from both and compare over at: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

You can't use the 2011 6.0 computer because that is a E78 torque based computer and his 2011 half ton truck uses a E38 computer that is different.

He would need to have his E38 computer tuned for the engine change. Someone with HP Tuners could do it pretty easy. All you'd really need to do is find a 2010 6.0 file because those are still E38 computers and pretty much just do a copy/paste of the engine parameters over the 5.3 file. I know typing it sounds easy but it does involve a little know how with what things needs to be changed.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CamGTP said:

You can't use the 2011 6.0 computer because that is a E78 torque based computer and his 2011 half ton truck uses a E38 computer that is different.

He would need to have his E38 computer tuned for the engine change. Someone with HP Tuners could do it pretty easy. All you'd really need to do is find a 2010 6.0 file because those are still E38 computers and pretty much just do a copy/paste of the engine parameters over the 5.3 file. I know typing it sounds easy but it does involve a little know how with what things needs to be changed.

Thanks Cameron, didn't know the computers were not plug and play on the harness.