2020 GMC 2500HD wiring diagram? Having Rear Seat Infotainment System issues

I had the GM Rear Seat Infotainment Headrest System (PN# 84556196, product link below) installed by dealer when I purchased a 2020 Sierra 2500HD. The issue I’m having is, the system completely turns off while the truck is running and whenever a door is opened then closed. Meaning, the truck will be running and in Park and the driver or passenger door is opened (system remains on) but the moment the door is shut, the system will shut off. The system will also shut off after about 5 minutes while the truck is idling. 

I would assume that the system should just work whenever the vehicle is running, regardless of the doors opening/closing and also while it’s idling. The only time it doesn’t shut off is while we’re actually driving. When the truck is not running but in accessory mode, the system will stay on for about 5 minutes then shut off even when the radio remains on and the truck is still in accessory mode. I’d think the system should remain on the entire time the radio stays on. 

I’ve discussed this with the dealer and they’re looking into it but haven’t figured it out yet. 

My suspicion is that the dealer didn’t tie the system into the correct accessory circuit. I’ve traced the wires to a plug under the dash on the driver’s (left) side, near the BCM. The red power wire from the RSI connects to the purple w/ yellow tracer in the plug. Does anyone here have a wiring diagram for the 2020 HDs that can confirm if that’s the correct connection? Or does anyone have the same RSI in their vehicle and see if their wiring is the same?

Any help is appreciated.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/rear-seat-infotainment-system-with-dvd-player-in-jet-black-perforated-leather-84556196?year=2020&make=GMC&model=Sierra 2500 HD

BE6EED7D-76F4-4943-8B75-18F826BF0E3E.jpeg

2865DE20-D896-460B-AF4B-E5A715BB4CB0.jpeg

98A813EB-B1BB-442A-84E5-31CECB9D5ADB.jpeg

EB522978-65E5-49AD-8736-9B600C7ED3C5.jpeg

2A721CA6-83FF-403D-A25B-1FB5B0755DE6.jpeg

Edited by Ryno12

Bumping this thread & edited the thread title. Based on seeing very little information on the Rear Infotainment systems on this forum, wondering if anyone has info on wiring diagrams for the new 2020 HDs?  I see plenty of electrical related mods here so I’m guessing someone has the info I need. 
I’m looking for the pin out info in the plug shown in the OP.  Hoping to find one of the pins has constant power while the truck is running and/or in Accessory mode. 
Appreciate any help, thanks. 

• 1 month later...
Hey Ryno, I just brought ours home the other day and it’s doing the exact same thing!! Extremely frustrating for my boys in the back. Every time you shut a door the system goes off. I’m a sales manager at the dealership so I will be discussing it with them next week! 

64E85CF7-C873-42D1-9DAD-09BE8A0E3162.thumb.jpeg.6465daa4107eb08284e1b0118153106d.jpeg

I was able to finally get an answer from my dealership. Apparently GM is aware of the issue & there is a troubleshooting bulletin about it. They deemed if this is happening, the fob is too close to the wireless charging pad and recommend placing the fob as far away from the pad as possible.

I’ve always kept my fob in the center console just to the right of the charging pad. Now I’ve been keeping the keys in my left coat pocket & it hasn’t been an issue since. It usually also works if I toss the keys in the cup holder area but it’s not 100%.

In my opinion, fob location inside the truck shouldn’t matter one iota as to whether the rear monitors work or not. This was a poor design on GMs part. If it continues to be a nuisance, I’ll probably hard wire the monitors directly into the fuse box.

Hmm that’s interesting for sure. My keys were also sitting in the console beside the charging pad. I’m going to bring it up to my service manager Monday and will also look at the bulletin! I believe hardwired would be much better! The system is completely pointless in my opinion if it shuts off every time a door closes. I have the overhead blue ray player in my 3500 and so far it is a much superior product in my opinion 

Hmm that’s interesting for sure. My keys were also sitting in the console beside the charging pad. I’m going to bring it up to my service manager Monday and will also look at the bulletin! I believe hardwired would be much better! The system is completely pointless in my opinion if it shuts off every time a door closes. I have the overhead blue ray player in my 3500 and so far it is a much superior product in my opinion 

Yep, move the fob to a different location & you should be good.

I just ran the whole day with the kids in the back watching movies. We had multiple stops & the screens never shut down. I had the fob sitting in the little programming cubby between the cup holders.

Curious to hear what your dealership has to say.

I did notice you have a half ton. Mine is a 2500HD & the screens are wired into the upfitter switch plug. I didn’t realize the 1500 had the same plug, unless yours is wired differently.

This was copied from the tech bulletin & emailed to me from the dealership service dept:

Symptom

Monitors shut off with FOB inside vehicle

Remedy

On some vehicles with push button start (keyless ignition) and wireless phone charging, if you turn on the headrest monitor, and then close all doors while keeping the remote keyless entry/ignition FOB in the vehicle, the monitor will shut off.
To avoid this issue, keep the FOB away from the wireless phone charger

I’d still like to know why this is happening though.

This was copied from the tech bulletin & emailed to me from the dealership service dept:

Symptom

Monitors shut off with FOB inside vehicle

Remedy

On some vehicles with push button start (keyless ignition) and wireless phone charging, if you turn on the headrest monitor, and then close all doors while keeping the remote keyless entry/ignition FOB in the vehicle, the monitor will shut off.
To avoid this issue, keep the FOB away from the wireless phone charger

I’d still like to know why this is happening though.
The frequency that the charge pad ouputs might be close to the fobs and cancels it out and the truck thinks the fob is no longer in vehicle. Only thing i can think of.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The frequency that the charge pad ouputs might be close to the fobs and cancels it out and the truck thinks the fob is no longer in vehicle. Only thing i can think of.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Could be and that’s basically what my service tech eluded to also. I still wonder though, what difference does the fob location make? The screens shouldn’t care about the fobs, just like the radio doesn’t care. If the truck is running or if it’s in accessory mode, they should just work.

That’s the part where I think GM engineers made a poor design choice.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Curious what your service manager had to say.
Even after keeping the fob away from the charger, I stay get the occasional problem of the screens shutting off. I plan to wire the power to the RAP tap in the aux fuse box.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...