This year I would like to get back into riding motorcycles.  I rode when I was a kid around the neighborhood on my dad's old 72 Suzuki 185.

I'd like to find a decent used dual purpose bike (on and off road) that I can use around here.  Any suggestions on models I should look at?  I'd like to stay in the $2000-4000 range as I don't need anything super fancy right now.  Something that has decent power for me to be able to ride on the highway occasionally, and mostly put around with around town, but be able to handle mild off roading without any mods. 

Thanks

Ryan

Colossus, you can't go wrong with Kawa's, but I'd be looking at the KX250 rather than the 650, over a 100 lbs lighter than the 650 and should be more than adequate for your stated needs. No matter the displacement, the single lungers have great low end torque and are well suited for off road and for puttin around town, your stated goals.

My recommendation is to "table" the idea of riding a small enduro or other bike on city or highway streets. I just sold my 650 Honda.. The roads just are not safe for little machines anymore. Texting, talking, and other distracted drivers, uninsured are at record highs.. it is just too much risk.

My 2 cents.

My recommendations would be a Yamaha WR250 or Suzuki DRZ400. Both are pretty low maintenance and will be great for back roads, dual sporting and some trail riding.

Can you jump on the freeway with them? Sure, plan on revving to the moon to stay with traffic. I wouldn't recommend for any extended time, but they'll do it.

• 3 weeks later...

get a dirtbike, 250 size, and then buy a 650 cruiser , v-stars are fairly cheap used and they have a wind fairing and saddle bags..

stay away from old bikes, maybe 98 and up is ok... old parts availabilty is getting difficult and the Japanese are into selling bikes not parts. try finding crankshaft bearings for that old 1976 xl350.... 

Edited by flyingfool

• 1 year later...

Excellent representatives of this class can be called "great Japanese trio" - Honda XR250, Suzuki Djebel 250 and Yamaha TTR250, and their modern companions Kawasaki KLX250S, Honda CRF250L, and CRF250 Rally, and also Yamaha WR250 in R version. The legendary and perhaps the most versatile of all Suzuki DRZ400s can also be included. For example, I often ride off-road, but I don't have the money to buy my motorcycle. But I got a job and am saving up, but I still want to ride. And I was helped by renting scooters at riderly.com. There's a large assortment of bikes there. Dual-purpose motorcycles are no exception.

Edited by emmetcouch