Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TTPMS)

does anyone know what the diameter of the stem on the supplied ones from GM Measure (.433 or .625 diameter at sealing point). Found some on line but think they are the smaller size.

Here are some photos from the ones supplied with my 2019 1500 high country. I imagine all the new “trailer” TPMS from GM are the same?

043198fdc70798887037d9fd7a306eb1.jpga78faf7ada98a1e28bd54b5eef953d25.jpg3462c1169d13a4eef76bcb4e325b1c43.jpg9f68d6ed92d1b2ed1193523495eb1ccf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, rblanch said:

I run them on my G rated trailer tires. The highest you can set them is 100 PSI  I figured that would still work if they notified me below 100 it still should  be  time to pull over before a blow out. They also give tire temp.

My trailer rims had the large hole, supplied sensors are for the small hole rim,  I bought 6 metal stems that had rubber seal for both hole sizes.  Slide the large seal over the supplied stem , use the washer and nut from the metal stem, you now have a stem for the larger hole rim.  Do not remove any of existing seal from the supplied stems. Tried that on one and it leaked.  All working as advertised on all 6 wheels.  

Do you really need to run 110 psi in load range G tires,  I run 85 cold which is 95 when hot.  No problems.  I was running 105 psi on my 18 wheeler grain trucks running 100,000 lb gross, blowing lots of tires.  I dropped air down to 90 psi and now only blow 1 or 2 a year out of 8 trucks.  I do not run max on tire sidewall on pickups either, just got 50,000 miles on first set of tires on 2500HD running 60 psi loaded to 9400 lbs all the time except when pulling gooseneck loaded to 18,000 lbs.  I did air rears to 70psi. 

20 hours ago, SenecaDriver said:

My trailer rims had the large hole, supplied sensors are for the small hole rim,  I bought 6 metal stems that had rubber seal for both hole sizes.  Slide the large seal over the supplied stem , use the washer and nut from the metal stem, you now have a stem for the larger hole rim.  Do not remove any of existing seal from the supplied stems. Tried that on one and it leaked.  All working as advertised on all 6 wheels.  

Can you give us where you bought these metal stems and part numbers?

Thanks

One place I read that if you have, as in my case, a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD,  the Advanced Trailering System option,  that the Tire Pressure Monitoring System is included and that 4 sensors are provided.  My dealership says I have to buy the sensors.  Which is correct?    

unfortunately, the trailer TPMS sensors are always an additional item now if they didn't get included in the build from the factory. It's only a $50 option from the factory, they should just include that always IMO.

in 2019, on some of the higher trim 1500's (LTZ and High country I believe) they came standard for free. That changed in 2020 though and now it's not free on any model/trims.

I have a fully loaded 3500 high country. my specific build didn't have the trailer TPMS option selected so had to purchase separately. 

So first check your build sheet to make sure it wasn't on there. If you do see the $50 option then your dealer owes you them. If not, it's on you :( 

If you have a complete build sheet, the order code you're looking for is PTT is the code for the sensor set.

PTT         Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors, includes set of 4 sensors. Sensor functionality requires (U1D) In-vehicle Trailering App to be ordered with the vehicle and installed by the factory. Sensors will be shipped loose with the truck and will need to be installed on trailer by customer. System is capable of monitoring up to 6 wheels. Additional or replacement sensors are available through GM Accessories

On LT - Requires (PCM) Convenience Package II or (ZL6) Advanced Trailering Package. 

On SLE - Requires (ZL6) ProGrade Trailering System or (PDQ) Preferred Package. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.
On SLT - Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.

Higher trims have no restriction. 

Lower trims - not available. 

Edited by redwngr

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the part number for the sensors?  I just purchased a 2020 Sierra 3500 Denali.  It did not have the $50 trailer TPMS option (comes with 4 sensors), but obviously has the trailering app.  The dealer quoted me $150 for 2 sensors.  They didn't even know if they would work on the truck.  They thought the option may have had to be programmed at the factory.  From this thread, that does not appear correct?  I'd like to get two sets of 4 for 2 trailers.

Disregard...I see the part number was shown in one of the photos above.

Edited by iflypigs

Does anyone know the part number for the sensors?  I just purchased a 2020 Sierra 3500 Denali.  It did not have the $50 trailer TPMS option (comes with 4 sensors), but obviously has the trailering app.  The dealer quoted me $150 for 2 sensors.  They didn't even know if they would work on the truck.  They thought the option may have had to be programmed at the factory.  From this thread, that does not appear correct?  I'd like to get two sets of 4 for 2 trailers.

Disregard...I see the part number was shown in one of the photos above.

[edit] the below info may be incorrect, see redwngr post below mine.

Silly dealers, never ceases to amaze me the lack of knowledge.

It’s just silly what they charge after the fact. Some options I get it, makes sense some options would be cheaper to install at the factory during assembly. But TPMS Sensors are just loosely thrown in the glove box!

They will work on your truck, you don’t need to program the option or anything like that. Your truck is ready.

You will have to have your truck “learn” each sensor but you don’t need the dealer for that.

According to the order guide:

2020 2500 Denali:

U1D    In-vehicle Trailering App, System, includes checklist, trailer maintenance reminders, trailer security alerts, trailer mileage, tow/haul reminder, trailer electrical diagnostics and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System module
SLE -  Included and only available with (ZL6) ProGrade Trailering System or with (PDQ) Preferred Package. Includes trailer tire pressure monitoring alert ONLY when (PTT) trailer tire pressure monitor system is factory ordered and sensors are installed 
SLT -  Includes trailer tire pressure monitoring alert ONLY when (PTT) trailer tire pressure monitor system is factory ordered and sensors are installed. With (ZW9) pickup bed delete no provision for a trailer tire pressure monitor system will exist but all the other (U1D) features will remain. 
AT4 and Denall -  Includes trailer tire pressure monitoring alert ONLY when (PTT) trailer tire pressure monitor system is factory ordered and sensors are installed 

Base sierra  -- not available

PTT         Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors, includes set of 4 sensors. Sensor functionality requires (U1D) In-vehicle Trailering App to be ordered with the vehicle and installed by the factory. Sensors will be shipped loose with the truck and will need to be installed on trailer by customer. System is capable of monitoring up to 6 wheels. Additional or replacement sensors are available through GM Accessories
SLE -  Requires (ZL6) ProGrade Trailering System or (PDQ) Preferred Package. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. 
SLT -  Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. 

Optional, but no restrictions on AT4 and Denali

Base sierra - not available. 

Seems like trailer tire monitoring may not work if PTT sensors weren't factory ordered.

• Like 1

According to the order guide:

2020 2500 Denali:
    U1D    In-vehicle Trailering App, System, includes checklist, trailer maintenance reminders, trailer security alerts, trailer mileage, tow/haul reminder, trailer electrical diagnostics and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System module
SLE -  Included and only available with (ZL6) ProGrade Trailering System or with (PDQ) Preferred Package. Includes trailer tire pressure monitoring alert ONLY when (PTT) trailer tire pressure monitor system is factory ordered and sensors are installed 
SLT -  Includes trailer tire pressure monitoring alert ONLY when (PTT) trailer tire pressure monitor system is factory ordered and sensors are installed. With (ZW9) pickup bed delete no provision for a trailer tire pressure monitor system will exist but all the other (U1D) features will remain. 
AT4 and Denall -  Includes trailer tire pressure monitoring alert ONLY when (PTT) trailer tire pressure monitor system is factory ordered and sensors are installed 
Base sierra  -- not available

SLE -  Requires (ZL6) ProGrade Trailering System or (PDQ) Preferred Package. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. 
SLT -  Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete. 
Optional, but no restrictions on AT4 and Denali
Base sierra - not available. 

Seems like trailer tire monitoring may not work if PTT sensors weren't factory ordered.

Great info, although very odd if that’s accurate. I see quite a few trucks without the PTT option. There’s gotta be a way to still add that functionality especially because these trucks are meant for towing and hauling.

Now it makes me wonder about mine. I have the trailering app but my truck didn’t come with PTT from factory, I have a silverado high country. But I fully intend to add 6 TPMS to my fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, FirstAscent said:

Great info, although very odd if that’s accurate. I see quite a few trucks without the PTT option. There’s gotta be a way to still add that functionality especially because these trucks are meant for towing and hauling.

Now it makes me wonder about mine. I have the trailering app but my truck didn’t come with PTT from factory, I have a silverado high country. But I fully intend to add 6 TPMS to my fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm curious what you find out!

If the receiver module and/or programming is omitted without the PTT option it will certainly be disappointing if this can't be upgraded after build. 

I'm curious what you find out!

If the receiver module and/or programming is omitted without the PTT option it will certainly be disappointing if this can't be upgraded after build. 

I think I’m good. According to this brochure I found it says the advanced trailer package is standard on high country and includes the TPMS module. Not to be confused with the TPMS Sensors which I would still need to buy, but the functionality is there.

78b028e771d10f295b79ade41ebc826a.png