Anyone running Kirkland Signature 0W-20 oil in their truck?

They manf. chosen is likely the lowest bidder and like most oils manufactured by a low bidder, lower cost additives and or base oils are used in order to meet the low price.  Its no better or worse than any other generic oil on discount store shelves, its made to a price point.

Edited by elcamino

5 minutes ago, Bob2C said:

At the price they are selling it at its 3k miles and drain. Cheap enough

Sounds like a solid thought. As a Kirkland Signature product it is being sold 15% over cost, unlike Amazon Basics or Walmart Super Tech who prices on the grab and greed method. Again I expect it is identical. In fact at this price I'd change at 2.5K just to keep my 5/10K service intervals easy to recall.  

• Like 1

Sounds like a solid thought. As a Kirkland Signature product it is being sold 15% over cost, unlike Amazon Basics or Walmart Super Tech who prices on the grab and greed method. Again I expect it is identical. In fact at this price I'd change at 2.5K just to keep my 5/10K service intervals easy to recall.  

Good thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching from the sidelines, as I’ve mentioned before, I don’t buy oil based on finding the lowest price on the minimum requirements, I buy it based on maximum performance thus surpassing minimum requirements. Buy what you can afford as it seems to me that Amsoil is highly on most of your minds as I didn’t even have to bring it up, HA!

WTH is a Kirkland anyway?

Sent from Above

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all of the input and feedback. Some of the Kirkland branded products are identical to name brand, some are "as good as or better" than name brand, and some products are not that good. 

How can you tell if the oil you're using is not the best for your engine? Are there tell tale signs or decrease in performance that are obvious? Is it only a catastrophic failure of the engine? Do you need an oil analysis to determine if the oil you used was acceptable?  Is oil like car batteries, where all are made the same by a few manufacturers and then sold as different brands for varying prices? This is a fascinating topic and would like to learn as much as I can.

Thanks again!

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all of the input and feedback. Some of the Kirkland branded products are identical to name brand, some are "as good as or better" than name brand, and some products are not that good. 

How can you tell if the oil you're using is not the best for your engine? Are there tell tale signs or decrease in performance that are obvious? Is it only a catastrophic failure of the engine? Do you need an oil analysis to determine if the oil you used was acceptable?  Is oil like car batteries, where all are made the same by a few manufacturers and then sold as different brands for varying prices? This is a fascinating topic and would like to learn as much as I can.

Thanks again!

Look for what actually is in oil, the additives is the key to longevity.

Here’s an idea of what makes a good motor oil, it’s not just oil

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/articles/the-role-of-additives-in-motor-oil/

You’ll find really good oil out there, just do your research and find the key components that make a great oil. Good luck

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MobileMatt said:

17th of the month. Longer than I expected to birth a new oil thread. 

Kids don't like to take baths. Those a bit older seem to find it more appealing and do it daily. Old people are back to the habits of a child. Everyone has their own threshold of what dirty is and oil selection and resultant OCI's are those individuals framework for determining how often to take a bath. You will get no consensus. Often times that has nothing to do with anything but resources and personal justification for allocation of those resources.  If we actually relied on science things would gravitate to a uniformity subject to that endeavor. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

17th of the month. Longer than I expected to birth a new oil thread. 

Kids don't like to take baths. Those a bit older seem to find it more appealing and do it daily. Old people are back to the habits of a child. Everyone has their own threshold of what dirty is and oil selection and resultant OCI's are those individuals framework for determining how often to take a bath. You will get no consensus. Often times that has nothing to do with anything but resources and personal justification for allocation of those resources.  If we actually relied on science things would gravitate to a uniformity subject to that endeavor. 

Thank you, sir, for the witty response and analogy.   I like that fresh and clean feeling every day. I would imagine my truck does, too.....'cept during hunting season when it stays dirty. 

• Like 1

This was a post on slickdeals for the costco oil.

976a7b82d2da380512ead9a8a02c7844.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate your input but Amsoil is $10 per quart where as Mobil1 Annual protection is at same more per quart but Amsoil Signature Series has been tested to to be at the least 4X the protection of Mobil1’s Annual Protection. So, for the cost factor, you get much more bang with Amsoil than you do with the highest rated over the counter brands.

Not saying Amsoil is the best for short OCI’s, just that 4X more protection is a hell of a lot more for about the same price. I’d still be using Annual Protection if it wasn’t for the enormous difference in protection for about the same price. I believe Redline is a bit more expensive than Amsoil without the added protection of Amsoil.

Sent from Above
  • Haha 1