In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Got in my truck yesterday and noticed check engine light, but truck drives fine. I cant find any know issues. Plugged in my Black Bear tuner to pull error codes and found these 3 codes, ECM P0005, ECM U1501, and ECM U1510. Anyone have any experience with these? I look them up online and find its a ground communication with some sort of shutter valve ? I was able to clear the codes on my Black Bear and engine light went away. When I remote start the truck, it comes back. Only the remote start seems to trigger it and wont let it remote start.

I have tried resetting computer by pulling negative cable off for a while. Clears engine light, but as soon as I do a remote start, engine light comes back on. Remote start just makes a click noise and wont let it start. I want to figure this out since I am at 50K miles now out of warranty.

Could it be the active grille shutters?

In your front grille are shutters that open and close for aerodynamic purposes. At slow speed, they open to maximize flow through your radiator to keep the engine cool. At high speed, they close and redirect it. Radiator still gets air, just only enough to cool the coolant.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Could it be the active grille shutters?

In your front grille are shutters that open and close for aerodynamic purposes. At slow speed, they open to maximize flow through your radiator to keep the engine cool. At high speed, they close and redirect it. Radiator still gets air, just only enough to cool the coolant.

That is what I am reading the code is related too when searching online. The truck acts fine till I remote start it then the engine light comes on and it wont remote start at all, just clicks. I know the dealer will charge me a ton to have this looked at. 

Couldn't find anything on the p0005 code.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1aac748fadbb6561b357d5d4a4d54b70.jpg

166e7ef4318412d303111acfe5f38449.jpg

Not sure if I am reading all that correctly but looks like if i replace the m60a active grille air shutter 1 motor, this might fix my issue ? I also see something about electronic brake control module in that info ? I think I got a letter for a recall on this issue. 

Edited by gapple12

I think the brake module code is a separate issue. If you don't have the other code in your ebcm I wouldn't waste much time on it. Do the electrical checks I recommended on the shutter.

52 minutes ago, durandetto said:

I think the brake module code is a separate issue. If you don't have the other code in your ebcm I wouldn't waste much time on it. Do the electrical checks I recommended on the shutter.

Will do. If replacing the shutter, do you buy the whole shutter assembly or is there just an electrical component to replace ? I only find the part number for whole assembly which is around $250. 

54 minutes ago, durandetto said:

Also, I have both codes, U1501, and U1510

I would try unplugging the connectors making sure they're dry and putting some dielectric grease on them. Clear the codes and try again. That will be the quickest test. If that fails then do the pinpoint tests from both of the screen shots that should rule out any wiring issues then your left with a bad shutter solenoid.

• Like 1

Will do. If replacing the shutter, do you buy the whole shutter assembly or is there just an electrical component to replace ? I only find the part number for whole assembly which is around $250. 
From checking dealer parts catalog it shows part # 84363184 and it only comes as the whole shutter assembly.

X2 on re-seating the connector before you do anything drastic.

I didn't know I had shutters until I read it on this forum. 2014/15 trucks did not, I assumed my 2017 was just a face-lifted, storm trooper-esque truck from my retro looking 2014.

23 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

X2 on re-seating the connector before you do anything drastic.

I didn't know I had shutters until I read it on this forum. 2014/15 trucks did not, I assumed my 2017 was just a face-lifted, storm trooper-esque truck from my retro looking 2014.

emoji51.png

Thats my plan this weekend. I haven't looked but can the plug be accessed without pulling the grill ?

I have no idea man. I'm not even sure where it might be. I'd look at either side of the radiator, near the headlight assembly on both sides. Can't be far from there.

If you find it, let us know.